The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Managing your body!

After what feels like a constant battle with different varying injuries and urks.

I’d love to hear how we all go about managing our injuries/aging bodies to keep being able to do the things we love.

Currently I’m nursing a torn rotator cuff, torn MCL—> now bursitis that will not go away.
Hairline fracture in my foot and a rolled ankle.

I’ve found regardless of the injuries the only real thing that keeps me going is yoga, stretching and hot showers!

What do you nurse? And what are your tips for keeping yourself going?

Not good Stella.
Wishing you a quick recovery.

I’m dealing with autoimmunity in the form of lupus - systemic inflammation.
I tried fighting it, it punches hard, now I am treating it like a stubborn toddler, coercing cooperation through devious trickery wink

Current issue is also Bursitis, in my left shoulder.
I have an awesome physio, he’s got me on a heap of exercises every day to rehab the shoulder and stop it recurring (I’m hyper mobile), but I’ve also got an appt coming up for a cortisone shot into the shoulder.  It’ll need it.
Ive been here before with right shoulder - after a wakeboarding accident (no, Michelle, you are not 18, wake to wake jumps landed poorly will f@$& you up!) and after 2 years of injections and painkillers I had surgery.  It’s been perfect since.

One thing I have found is the stuff that works is usually not ‘mainstream’ or covered by Medicare or health insurance.  I had crippling plantar fasciitis that didn’t respond to anything mainstream.  Acupuncture with pulsing electrodes attached to the needles, combined with deep tissue massage (yes it was intensely painful) sorted it out completely in 6 months after years of trying other stuff including cortisone injections into my heels.

All I can tell you is keep trying stuff, and keep talking to people about what they’ve tried.
Sometimes the answers come from the most random places!

I’m currently nursing a bad knee (tore accessory ligaments earlier this year playing soccer) and achilles tendonitis. I’m another one in the autoimmunely challenged catagory (rheumatoid arthritis) so my injuries seem to linger and flare up sporadically. In addition at present I also have inflammation in my shoulders and hips along with a mild case of carpal tunnel. You’d never guess I’m not even 30 yet!

I’ve found the best thing with my injuries is knowing my limits and when it’s ok to push it and when I need to let my body rest. This has been a hard thing for me to learn because I am quite stubborn and hate being inactive. If it wasn’t for the physio constantly telling me I was not ready to go back to soccer I would have started playing again much sooner and made things much much worse!

Particularly after snowboarding though I’ve found properly warming down is crucial! If not I end up super stiff and everything ceases up.

On a side note, I’ve had a cortisone injection in my hip before for bursitis and my god it was horrendously painful!! Did the trick though and I haven’t had any issues since (that was 4 years ago)

LMB I’m always happy to hear any tips and tricks you may have!!

Beer!!!!!

Beer always makes things better!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 24 July 2015 10:01 AM

Beer!!!!!

Im having 1 (ok maybe 2) as we spk wink

air180 - 24 July 2015 09:06 AM

You could probably teach me a thing or two Air!

I only discovered the cause of all the years of crap was Lupus a few years ago!  I’ve probably been suffering since my early 20s!! (I’m 46) It didn’t help that my GPs have said stuff like ‘You’re totally healthy, it’s all in your head, here’s some anti depressants.’  Finally I demand a referral to a rheumatologist, and hear ‘wow, your joints are very inflamed, I’m referring you for heart scans, lung function tests etc etc…’ - burst into tears because you realise you weren’t imagining it all.
One month before I went to Chamonix / Val d’Isere / Tignes my respiratory guy said ‘if you went above about 3000m you’d die’, I said…you’ve got 4 weeks to fix me then…  wink2
Thankfully I responded quickly to the medication.

Best things I can recommend is eating clean and low inflammatory foods (not that it’s done anything for my weight!), stay active but know your limit (when you’re running low on ‘spoons’ - if you don’t know what I mean by that google Spoonies or The Spoon Theory).  I also think consuming grassfed beef gelatin regularly seems to help with joint pain.

Stay positive and don’t let your illness (or injuries) take away the stuff you love to do.  Just adapt.

LMB - 25 July 2015 05:13 PM
air180 - 24 July 2015 09:06 AM

You could probably teach me a thing or two Air!

I only discovered the cause of all the years of crap was Lupus a few years ago!  I’ve probably been suffering since my early 20s!! (I’m 46) It didn’t help that my GPs have said stuff like ‘You’re totally healthy, it’s all in your head, here’s some anti depressants.’  Finally I demand a referral to a rheumatologist, and hear ‘wow, your joints are very inflamed, I’m referring you for heart scans, lung function tests etc etc…’ - burst into tears because you realise you weren’t imagining it all.
One month before I went to Chamonix / Val d’Isere / Tignes my respiratory guy said ‘if you went above about 3000m you’d die’, I said…you’ve got 4 weeks to fix me then…  wink2
Thankfully I responded quickly to the medication.

Best things I can recommend is eating clean and low inflammatory foods (not that it’s done anything for my weight!), stay active but know your limit (when you’re running low on ‘spoons’ - if you don’t know what I mean by that google Spoonies or The Spoon Theory).  I also think consuming grassfed beef gelatin regularly seems to help with joint pain.

Stay positive and don’t let your illness (or injuries) take away the stuff you love to do.  Just adapt.

I am so sorry to hear it took so long to diagnose such a serious condition! I hate how quick the general GP is to throw someone onto some drugs instead of actually looking into the root cause of a problem.

Great news that you are smart enough to get onto the anti-inflammatory diet that is SO important, even if you do not have a health condition. We are much too quick to put all sorts of crap into our system and expect our bodies to still respond positively!

I’ve definitely learnt to adapt rather than stop what I am doing too ... I hope you are well.

Mizu Kuma - 24 July 2015 10:01 AM

Beer!!!!!

+1 on that!

I’ve been nursing a sore achilles for around 3 years now, coupled with a glass ankle from years of skate abuse.  This has forced me to give up jogging which I’ve now replaced with swimming and MTB, lower impact on the joints.  As these are mainly weekend activities, also stretching out the joints and muscles on a daily basis and keeping active in other ways (longboarding)

I think it’s true that you just need to adapt to what your body is telling you, it’s the key to staying active for longer in life.

I feel like I’ve been pretty lucky with injuries. I’m on my 15th season now and I’ve never had an injury that has stopped me snowboarding the next day.

Saying that though, I feel like we (mostly) create our own luck.

If I can’t ride, I can’t work, so I’ve put a fair amount of thought into staying out of hospital. I break it down into 2 parts:

1. I ride within my limits.
Even if I have to look like a chicken sometimes in front of my friends. I’m the only one who doesn’t get broken out of most of my friends.
Also, I notice more and more people are knuckling the hell out of jumps these days. Not once or twice, but over and over again! What is up with that? Hucking till you get it is fine, but if you’re not making the down ramp, go to a smaller jump guys.

2. I try to build the muscles that help me snowboard, but I also build the muscles that I tend to hurt/land on.
Legs and core are obvious for snowboarders. But strengthening as many different muscle groups as you can will protect you. I’ll take a strain over a serious injury any day.
Also everything is connected. I’m no PT, but it makes sense to me to try and build muscles evenly as they all support other parts of the body and can have a chain reaction if one is weak.
(Right now, my quads have out grown other muscles, so my physio has me working on strengthening those before I do some real knee damage). Professional advice about little pains can save you a world of hurt later. I’m stoked on how fast my knee pain went away with just a little training at home.

So that’s my 2 cents. Like I said, I teach snowboarding, I’m not a Physio or PT etc, so this is not professional advice. This is just my own method for keeping myself on snow. I hope to pick up some tips from this thread too.  shaka

Andy Aitken - 01 April 2016 02:56 PM

I feel like I’ve been pretty lucky with injuries. I’m on my 15th season now and I’ve never had an injury that has stopped me snowboarding the next day.

Saying that though, I feel like we (mostly) create our own luck.

If I can’t ride, I can’t work, so I’ve put a fair amount of thought into staying out of hospital. I break it down into 2 parts:

1. I ride within my limits.
Even if I have to look like a chicken sometimes in front of my friends. I’m the only one who doesn’t get broken out of most of my friends.
Also, I notice more and more people are knuckling the hell out of jumps these days. Not once or twice, but over and over again! What is up with that? Hucking till you get it is fine, but if you’re not making the down ramp, go to a smaller jump guys.

2. I try to build the muscles that help me snowboard, but I also build the muscles that I tend to hurt/land on.
Legs and core are obvious for snowboarders. But strengthening as many different muscle groups as you can will protect you. I’ll take a strain over a serious injury any day.
Also everything is connected. I’m no PT, but it makes sense to me to try and build muscles evenly as they all support other parts of the body and can have a chain reaction if one is weak.
(Right now, my quads have out grown other muscles, so my physio has me working on strengthening those before I do some real knee damage). Professional advice about little pains can save you a world of hurt later. I’m stoked on how fast my knee pain went away with just a little training at home.

So that’s my 2 cents. Like I said, I teach snowboarding, I’m not a Physio or PT etc, so this is not professional advice. This is just my own method for keeping myself on snow. I hope to pick up some tips from this thread too.  shaka

Couldn’t agree more about riding/surfing within your limits. I’ve managed to stay injury free in surfing and snowboarding over the years due to surfing and riding within my limits, Granted ill try and push the envelope when the time permits.

When it comes to training ive always try to focus on building my surfing muscles more. Core, legs and back. This plays a massive part to not getting injured. Also being flexible helps ALOT! Yoga is great for this. I discovered bikram yoga last year thanks to @rider26.

Stay fit and healthy, surf, skate and snowboard within your limits and you’ll remain injury free.

@saltyseadog, are you still going to Bikram? How’s it going?

@rider26 i only did the 4 week intorduction, as i’m away for work now it kinda makes it hard to get to classes.  Im still super keen to go again though!

@LMB How’s the bursitis going? I’ve had bursitis a few times from snowboarding injuries and playing as a goalkeeper, and typically if you overuse it, the bursitis can flare up. Just make sure you aren’t overdoing it with exercises and really let it rest + take anti-inflammatory medicines

I started going to the gym a few months before my Japan trip this year, and that definitely helped me not only stay injury-free, but ride better as I was less fatigued/had more control. I also managed to heal up an ankle injury from soccer/snowboarding, which had been limiting my riding last year. We’ll see how we go this Aussie season after continuing at the gym, hopefully I’ll stay relatively injury free!

Other than that, I eat a plant based diet which makes me feel super healthy (gonna get all my levels checked at some point to see) and I am a firm believer in onsens/hot tubs for recovery! Hot tub erryday. Foam rollers are pretty awesome too, if you haven’t tried it, do it.

The home of Australia’s best value fitness equipment. Home gyms and commercial fit outs. 7 Day money back guarantee on all items.

Catch Fitness Equipment Australia began with a simple vision. We want to help Australians stay fit, without having them regret how much they pay for their home gym equipment. To do this, we set out to find manufacturers of high quality fitness equipment, at affordable prices.

Each of the items listed on our store, are from vetted manufacturers who’ve demonstrated both a thorough testing process, and who already manufacture for a number of reputable fitness equipment brands.

Visit our website http://www.catch-fitness.com