The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Working at Whistler 2015-2016 — Questions

No one i know here in Whis likes/liked living in staff housing! So don’t have too much high hopes. Its small and cramped. Just ask Dylan.

I have a buddy who works at starbucks, doesn’t mind the work and a free pass so she cant complain. Only thing about being given a pass is if you get fired, you lose your pass.

I keep trying to steer people into hospitality, the hourly rate is slightly lower yes, but you get tips. And tips quickly add up to make you earn a shit tonne more than any non tipped job here. Hell the past 3 months i have paid my rent out of nothing but tips and still had cash left over to buy some things for my bike.

But it all depends on what you want out of your whistler experience.

deanobruce - 13 August 2015 12:07 PM

No one i know here in Whis likes/liked living in staff housing! So don’t have too much high hopes. Its small and cramped. Just ask Dylan.

I have a buddy who works at starbucks, doesn’t mind the work and a free pass so she cant complain. Only thing about being given a pass is if you get fired, you lose your pass.

I keep trying to steer people into hospitality, the hourly rate is slightly lower yes, but you get tips. And tips quickly add up to make you earn a shit tonne more than any non tipped job here. Hell the past 3 months i have paid my rent out of nothing but tips and still had cash left over to buy some things for my bike.

That’s good to know. I think I will stay in my room to be honest, I like my own space and I don’t mind paying a bit extra for it. I have some savings thank god!

Do you think it would be possible to work two jobs? As in both Starbucks, and maybe bartending or waitressing at night? I also got my serving it right certificate which could come in handy.

So you work in hospitality I’m guessing?

Staff accom from what I saw can be hit and miss. If you’ve got a room with good housemates at the moment Eliza and you still like them after a few weeks, I’d stay there rather than going into staffies. Like here at Falls Creek, living on top of 3 other people can be a big issue for a lot of people and space is a virtue. Even just 1 room-mate snoring or having sex in your room can ruin your time in such an amazing place.

But then you could get amazing housemates like me in Sun Peaks who are super chill, liked cooking together and generally kept the house quite clean!

Just remember that it’s your situation. If you don’t like what you get, change it and make it better!

elizamed - 20 July 2015 11:48 AM

You’re lucky Johnny! Hopefully I’ll get a job that easily hahaha
How did you find the job fair? Did you find it easy to score the job?

Sorry for the late response, just realized you asked me that now. I found the job fair through their website and it was pretty easy to get the job. They had a few jobs to choose from and I just sent in my resume. The interviewer told me that they just started hiring for the winter season so I think that probably made it easier for me. I wouldn’t be surprised if everyone who interviewed that day and met all the requirements got their requested jobs. While waiting for my turn to be interviewed I asked a few other people also waiting what they were interviewing for and it seemed like a majority were going for the lifty position. I didn’t talk to too many people (3-4) but out of the few I did, I was the only one interviewing for rentals.

If anybody is going to the job fair, and interested in the kind of questions they might ask, I can’t remember them all but here are a few I remember:

- Why do you want to work at Whistler Blackcomb?
- What kind of experience do you have snowboarding/skiing and what level are you at (beginner, intermediate, expert)
- Why do you want to work in Rentals?
- Most people renting are skiing, not snowboarding, is that a problem? (I think they only asked me this because I talked about how I wanted to share my passion for snowboarding with others)

Most of the questions were pretty basic, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

Making a new post because it’s a bit unrelated from my last one. I have a few questions for people that have already worked a season or more.

1. What’s the best/cheapest way to get to Whistler from Vancouver?  Everything that goes from the airport seems to be around ~$70 but greyhound is just $17 if I book now for October, the only problem is it doesn’t go from the airport. Google maps says I could take a bus to get to the greyhound station, has anyone done this? It seems to be the cheapest option by far.

2. How much money should I have in savings? The Whistler interviewer told me I should have about ~$3,000 but I’ve read about people getting away with less, it’s probably pretty circumstantial but curious to hear what others think. I’ve heard that rentals probably won’t have much work in the beginning of the season so I might need to have more saved up than others.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

I think a few thousand was needed to go to Sun Peaks which was cheaper but this is mainly for pre-season since there is not much work to start with. Once we had full time hours, it was quite easy to get away with only spending your paycheck each week as long as you didn’t go too hard at the pub or go buying new gear.

You could get the SkyTrain from YVR into the city. From there it should be easier to get the Greyhound or similar.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/getting-to-from-yvr/public-transportation.aspx

Also, join this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/177500952360923/?fref=ts — you might be able to get a ride for cheaper. Everyone uses this page and rides are offered all the time. Likewise, you can post closer to the time to try organise a ride.

I think $3000 to $4000 is a safe ballpark to get yourself situated and have some spare money in the bank for when you need it.

TJswish - 13 August 2015 12:15 PM

Staff accom from what I saw can be hit and miss. If you’ve got a room with good housemates at the moment Eliza and you still like them after a few weeks, I’d stay there rather than going into staffies.

Yeah that sounds about right. I’m kind of in a dilemma at the moment, I just got interviewed on the phone by Blackcomb for the job fair in Vancouver - so now I have to decide to accept or decline the job if I get an offer, as I still sort of want to work at Starbucks and live in my own room compared to staff accom. Decisions….

Are you going to be staying in staffies when you come over to Canada again?

Hey Johnny,

Well I have done the same process as you, and just got an interview on the phone today. The questions were basically the ones you have said here, and it was pretty straightforward. So now I am just waiting to see if I was successful to get an interview at the job fair.

Also, have you confirmed with them that you are going to stay in staff accom? Or do you have to do that when you are there?

elizamed - 21 August 2015 10:39 AM
TJswish - 13 August 2015 12:15 PM

Staff accom from what I saw can be hit and miss. If you’ve got a room with good housemates at the moment Eliza and you still like them after a few weeks, I’d stay there rather than going into staffies.

Yeah that sounds about right. I’m kind of in a dilemma at the moment, I just got interviewed on the phone by Blackcomb for the job fair in Vancouver - so now I have to decide to accept or decline the job if I get an offer, as I still sort of want to work at Starbucks and live in my own room compared to staff accom. Decisions….

Are you going to be staying in staffies when you come over to Canada again?

All the mountains I’m looking at don’t have staffies - Fernie, Red, Whitewater. So I’ll be renting a place.

I don’t mind staff accommodation at all, keeps you near your friends and parties etc.
My major issue is that I really dislike single beds hahaha.

elizamed - 13 August 2015 12:13 PM
deanobruce - 13 August 2015 12:07 PM

That’s good to know. I think I will stay in my room to be honest, I like my own space and I don’t mind paying a bit extra for it. I have some savings thank god!

Do you think it would be possible to work two jobs? As in both Starbucks, and maybe bartending or waitressing at night? I also got my serving it right certificate which could come in handy.

So you work in hospitality I’m guessing?

Sorry for the late response, i don’t get on here much anymore.

Yes, I am a bartender here in Whis. Most people work 2 jobs to begin with in hospitality until you move up to the more higher paying roles. I am actually going to work part time at a store in conjunction with my bar gig soon because they offer free season passes.

Hey guys!

I managed to score a job as a room attendant by applying online with the Fairmont. (phone interview)

FYI Pay is around $15 bux, no pass but spirit pass is available and hour and accom is on offer if you need it

Let me know if you have any questions about the process.

Not my most ideal job as it is mostly a day job but hey I’ll take what I can get.

Good work mate.

Honestly I’d keep applying elsewhere if you’re not stoked on the job. Remember its a working HOLIDAY, not a job.

$15 an hour though is quite nice and if you get 2-3 days off a week, it really isn’t too bad of a gig.

rider26 - 19 August 2015 06:45 AM

You could get the SkyTrain from YVR into the city. From there it should be easier to get the Greyhound or similar.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/getting-to-from-yvr/public-transportation.aspx

Also, join this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/177500952360923/?fref=ts — you might be able to get a ride for cheaper. Everyone uses this page and rides are offered all the time. Likewise, you can post closer to the time to try organise a ride.

I think $3000 to $4000 is a safe ballpark to get yourself situated and have some spare money in the bank for when you need it.

Thanks for the information, getting a ride would be pretty good. Can you accept me into the group? I joined it a while ago but seems like they don’t accept random people for safety reasons, my name on Facebook is Johnny Baskin.

elizamed - 21 August 2015 10:43 AM

Hey Johnny,

Well I have done the same process as you, and just got an interview on the phone today. The questions were basically the ones you have said here, and it was pretty straightforward. So now I am just waiting to see if I was successful to get an interview at the job fair.

Also, have you confirmed with them that you are going to stay in staff accom? Or do you have to do that when you are there?

The phone interview is pretty similar to the in person one. In person they might ask a few more questions that have to do with things on your resume. They asked me about my previous job and if I liked it and things like that.

I have confirmed that I’m staying in staff accom, after accepting the job they sent me an email regarding staff accommodation and I was able to pay the damage deposit and part of first months rent to reserve a spot. I also requested a single room (which would be more expensive) but I’m not sure if I’ll get it since it seems to be pretty competitive.