The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

J-Bay Open 2015

Mick Fanning, last years J-Bay champion throwing buckets with his trademark style - WSL/Kirstin

Welcome to the halfway point, stop number 6 of the World Surf League Championship Tour, Jeffreys Bay in South Africa. For those not familiar with this spot, J-Bay as it’s known to the locals, is a very long fast running right hand point break that delivers big wide open faces which make for great rail to rail surfing and some epic long tube sections through the inside. The event marks a crucial turning point for surfers in the World Title talk, as well for those whose current rankings need a boost to re-qualify for the 2016 Tour.

After and amazing Fiji event we saw a pretty big shift in the championship ratings, despite Adriano De Souza (BRA) and Filipe Toledo (BRA) holding down the top two spots. Owen Wright (AUS) after his historical performance moved up 3 spots and is sitting pretty ranked 3rd in the world, Julian WIlson (AUS), Taj Burrow (AUS), Italo Ferriera (BRA) and Jeremy Flores (FRA) boosted their ratings and are all now in the top 10 all with a shot at the world title. All these guys will be lighting up J-Bay to hold onto their spots and world title contention.

2015 certainly hasn’t been kind to the names that we regularly see in the world title conversation. Kelly Slater (USA), Joel Parkinson (AUS), Jordy Smith (ZAF) and last year’s world champ Gabriel Medina (BRA) are all having a sub par year. However Joel is coming off a good result from Fiji. He also finished runner up here last year to Mick Fanning. Local boy and past winner Jordy Smith is coming off an injury, lets hope he’s in full health and puts on a display of those man turns he’s so well known for..

Speaking of injures, Michel Bourez (PYF), Brett Simpson (USA) and a hopeful John John Florence (HAW) should all be making a comeback. Jeremy Flores however had a pretty gruesome injury while free surfing Lakey Peak in Indonesia diving head first into the reef at low tide and getting severe facial lacerations which resulted in plastic surgery. According to our sources Jerermy is on the mend and at this stage hasn’t pulled out of competing yet.

Rug up, get the lads over, fire up the brai and crack a bottle of Castle Lager because J-Bay is about to tell a huge chapter in the unfolding story of who will be crowned the World Champion for 2015!

Event kicks off on the 8th of July. Catch all the action live at worldsurfleague.com

2015 J-Bay Open: Official Trailer

Official Surfline Forecast

Brief Overview: We’ll be watching for swell from a couple different sources for the first few days of the event waiting period. Modest size, but potentially contestable, easterly swell is on the radar for the opening day of the waiting period, Wednesday the 8th. Larger swell from a more favorable SW/SSW angle is possible for Thursday through Saturday, the 9th-11th.

J-Bay Open Mens Round 1 Match Up’s
Heat 1: Taj Burrow (AUS), Matt Wilkinson (AUS), Glen Hall (IRL)

Heat 2: Julian Wilson (AUS), Sebastian Zeitz (HAW), Dusty Payne (HAW)

Heat 3: Owen Wright (AUS), Michel Bourez (PYF), Brett Simpson (USA)

Heat 3: Owen Wright (AUS), Miguel Pupo (BRA), Alejo Muniz (BRA)

Heat 4: Filipe Toledo (BRA), Kai Otton (AUS), CJ Hobgood (USA)

Heat 5: Mick Fanning (AUS), Adam Melling (AUS), Dane Reynolds (USA)

Heat 6: Adriano De Souza (BRA), Matt Banting (AUS), Slade Prestwich (ZYF)

Heat 7: Josh Kerr (AUS), Matt Wilkinson (AUS), Glenn Hall (IRL)

Heat 8: Kelly Slater (USA), Wiggolly Dantas (BRA), Adrian Buchan (AUS)

Heat 9: John John Florence (HAW), Jadson Andre (BRA), Fred Patacchia (HAW)

Heat 10: Nat Young (USA), Jordy Smith (ZYF), Ricardo Christie (NZL)

Heat 11: Italo Ferreira (BRA), Joel Parkinson (AUS), Keanu Asing (HAW)

Heat 12: Bede Durbidge (AUS), Gabriel Medina (BRA), Kolohe Andino (USA)

Great write-up, Aaron. Should be an epic event.

*Injury Update*

Jeremy Flores (FRA) has officaly pulled out of the J-bay Open due to his facial lacerations he sustained while free surfing in Indonesia.

“I just did some last MRI and the doctors are saying I won’t be able to surf in the J-Bay event,” said Flores. “I have two fractures in my face and a contusion in my brain.”

This photo was from Jeremy’s Instagram account

Jeremy no joins a growing list of injuries for 2015 including John John Florence, Brett Simpson and Michel Bourez.

As the 2015 Injury Replacement Alejo Muniz (BRA) will once again surf in a Championship Tour event, his fourth of the season.

You beat me to it.

“I have two fractures in my face and a contusion in my brain.”

Heavy. Wishing JF a speedy recovery.

Here’s a sneak peak into Owen Wrights J-bay warm up.  The cold water walls of Bells Beach…

This should be a good help for your fantasy surfer picks… wink

*Injury Update 2.0*

Hawaiian freak show, John John Florence has now also pulled out of J-Bay due to his high ankle sprain still not 100%. This marks John’s second event of the year he’ll miss and most likely put him out of title contention.

“[John] tried to recover up to the last possible day to fly to J-Bay,” said WSL Deputy Commissioner, Renato Hickel. “But as his foot still pretty sore he decided to miss the event and be ready for Tahiti.”

Brazilian surfer Tomas Hermes has been selected as the injury replacement for Florence.

Damn, that sucks. But expect him to put on a show at Teahupo’o after his 3rd place finish last year, going down to Kelly Slater in the semis in a tiebreak no less!

Yesterday saw Round 1 of the J-Bay Open get underway in some tricky and unfavourable conditions.

Stand out of the day was non other than Kelly Slater (USA) posting the highest heat score total of the day with a two wave total of 17.00.  Kelly was in full sync with the ocean yesterday as he tries to claw his way back to the top of the table.

A few surprise upsets with heavy hitters,  Taj Burrow (AUS), Jordy Smith (ZAF) and Joel Parkinson (AUS) all relegated to a sudden death surf off in round 2.

Highlights: Tricky Conditions Send Elite to Air in J-Bay

Ohh man did anyone see the parko vs riccardo chrsitie heat?? Joel killed it!! I feel for Riccardo though, big time. He’s a such a talented surfer and threw down a massive score… Its nearly heartbreaking.. Keep going Riccardo!! shaka

Round 2 and part of round 3 unfolded yesterday and what a story it told. Joel Parkinson posting the highest heat score total of the event with an 18.84 beating Riccardo Christie who posted the second highest heat score total of 18.13. Amazing.

Round 2 saw the red jersey dominate, Nat Young, Matt WIlko, Adriano De Souza, Filipe Toledo and Gabriel Medina all marched onto round 3. However Jordy Smith and Taj Burrow were unable to capitalise and bowed out early.

The first few heats of round 3 got underway with Julian Wilson, Nat Young and Kai Otton all into the no loser round of round 4.

Keep your eyes on world surf league as more action will unfold shortly. For now here’s round 2 highlights and some epic 9 point rides!!

Round 2 Highlights

Parko’s Supertube Timing

Christie Releases for 9.70

Wilson Goes WIld at J-Bay

We got to witness the rest of round 3 unfold yesterday, in smaller J-Bay. I somehow don’t think the competitors were too thrilled… Anyhoooo.

The Brazilian Storm has picked up in J- Bay, as we got to see the likes of rookie Wiggolly Dantes (BRA) take down J-Bay gun Joel Parkinson (AUS) in the first heat of the morning which was a massive blow for Parko’s campaign. The Jeep ratings leader Adriano De Souza (BRA) managed to take down wildcard Dane Reynolds (USA). Gabriel Medina (BRA) found some of last years form and went absolutely loony in his heat with Matty Wilko (AUS) positing a combined heat total of 19.07. And Kolohe Andino (USA) jumped in the ring with Kelly Slater. Kelly came out on top.  Sadly Kolohe’s board is in the ding repair shop after he punched the living day lights out of it after loosing. Shame. I would of had the board Kolohe!! Alejo Muniz (BRA) got the better of Filipe Toledo (BRA) in the final heat of the day by stroking into wave of the day tearing the guts outta it, dropping a 9.80. Luckily i had Alejo on my Fantasy Surfer Team.. Did you?? wink

That round 4 heat with Mick, Kelly and Gabriel is going to be a show stopper!

Round 4 Match Up’s

Heat 1: Adrian Buchan (AUS), Kai Otton (AUS), Julian Wilson (AUS)

Heat 2: Nat Young (USA), Wiggolly Dantas (BRA), Adriano de Souza (BRA)

Heat 3: Mick Fanning (AUS), Gabriel Medina (BRA), Kelly Slater (USA) - The World Champ Heat!!

Heat 4: Keanu Asing (Haw), Michel Bourez (PYF), Alejo Muniz (BRA)

J-Bay Open Round 3 Highlghts

Medina’s 9.47

Median’s Backside Air Reverse

Muniz Scores Big in Round 3 Victory

A frightening end to things at J-Bay, with Mick Fanning attacked by two sharks in the final. The event has been cancelled, and thankfully Mick is unharmed. Wow. Lucky escape.

https://www.boardworld.com.au/articles/shark-attack-at-j-bay-open

Just watched the footage. That’s insane. So lucky he escaped unharmed. Well played, Mick.