The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Canadian Visa - Processing Times

Hey guys,

Wanted to pick your brains as to how long your Canadian visas have taken to be processed in your experience. I submitted my work permit application (the part using MyCIC) back on April 17th and still yet to hear back anything. I know waiting times can vary depending on the volume of applications etc but not sure how long I should give it until I make an inquiry (even if this is possible). Especially when the site is still advertising processing of 6 weeks.

I know that they’ll contact you whether you’ve been accepted or if there are any issues, but I’ve been checking the status of my application weekly and it hasn’t changed from this since like a week or so after I submitted my application

Should I just be patient and continue to wait it out?

Ps. New website is awesome Jez! Can’t wait to spend all the money I don’t have on some fresh gear!

It sounds like they just have a lot of applications to work through. I am tempted to say you should have received it within six weeks. I know mine was a lot quicker the last time I applied. That said, I know it’s taken longer for others. It wouldn’t hurt to follow up with them via this form: http://kompass-iec-eic.international.gc.ca/feedback.aspx?Lang=eng

Actually, it looks like you should use this form since the six weeks has passed: https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx?_ga=1.244492869.1941265694.1434883148

And I don’t know if this will help, but they might be able to give you an idea of why it’s taking so long:
Call 1-877-461-2346 (toll-free) for general information about IEC.

To everyone else who’s gone through this process:

How long did it take you to receive your visa after submitting your application? More than six weeks for anyone?

The girlfriend was under a week. Mine was about a month.

Sent the exact same time/day aswell.

Hey James
I have heard of people taking 3 months sometimes, altho this is not common.
Mine took less than 24hrs after I submitted it, stoked is an understatement after hearing how long others took LOL

That does seem like a really long time to process it all.
All up mine took about 6 weeks including getting my police check back. If I were you i’d be contacting them by now as they have gone past the time that is listed on the site.

james88 - 21 June 2015 08:00 PM

Hey guys,

Wanted to pick your brains as to how long your Canadian visas have taken to be processed in your experience. I submitted my work permit application (the part using MyCIC) back on April 17th and still yet to hear back anything. I know waiting times can vary depending on the volume of applications etc but not sure how long I should give it until I make an inquiry (even if this is possible). Especially when the site is still advertising processing of 6 weeks.

I know that they’ll contact you whether you’ve been accepted or if there are any issues, but I’ve been checking the status of my application weekly and it hasn’t changed from this since like a week or so after I submitted my application

Should I just be patient and continue to wait it out?

Ps. New website is awesome Jez! Can’t wait to spend all the money I don’t have on some fresh gear!

James, just relax mine was like that for about 3 weeks then it went approved and I got issued with my letter. My girlfriend’s took 5 weeks and we lodged on the same day. I think it’s just where it sits in the queue, plus I think right now is probably the time where everyone is applying.

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

I sent off an inquiry using that second link you provided Jez and within 12 hours had my application approved and Introduction Letter waiting in the messages. So stoked!! Excitement just went up an few more levels! Cheers everyone shaka

Yeeeeeeeeeew! That’s awesome news, mate! cool grin

james88 - 23 June 2015 03:24 PM

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

I sent off an inquiry using that second link you provided Jez and within 12 hours had my application approved and Introduction Letter waiting in the messages. So stoked!! Excitement just went up an few more levels! Cheers everyone shaka

Where are you thinking of going James? If it’s anywhere near the BC / Alberta boarder I’d be stoked to catch up with fellow BWers

Where are YOU thinking of going???

Current favourite for me is Fernie. But I’m not ruling out any mountains and will probably apply for a few. If something awesome comes up, they could change my mind wink

Trying to get my Australian Skidoo licence down here which might be a good selling point on my resume.

This just looks so pretty and it’s also not a massive tourist hole like Whistler or Banff. I’m planning to get a car while over there so 5km to and from an actual town will probably suit me over living on the resort like last time.

TJswish - 24 June 2015 06:23 PM

Current favourite for me is Fernie. But I’m not ruling out any mountains and will probably apply for a few. If something awesome comes up, they could change my mind wink

So you don’t have a job lined up yet? I’m super keen to go over (left my job to go over) but don’t want to go over without a job lined up.

Unless you paid a “Working Holiday Club” program a stupid amount of money (about $1000) nobody has a job lined up yet unless they have worked there previously and have contacts / connections. Most job options come out around August / September so keep your eyes open.

Since it’s a ski season, there is tons of jobs available and lots of different mountains. Obviously the more desirable jobs at the best hills fill up quickly (Lifty, Waiter/Waitress, Bar Tender etc) (Whistler, Banff, Big White, Revelstoke) but there is always backup jobs to get you by or backup mountains to apply for if you’re worried.

For me, I want to be a lifty again. So I’ll apply at Fernie, Red, Golden, Whitewater, Big White, Silver Star etc and then base my decision on what I get offered and what the deal is. If none of these offers come through, I’ll just go and look for a job once I’m there. I have waiter experience (and tips are awesome) or I’ll get a housekeeping job for a few weeks while looking.

The other thing is that I have a bit of savings to keep me going if I struggle to find a job and I’m a pretty motivated guy.

Plus I’m 29 next month (not a young party animal), have done multiple snow seasons before (you know I’ll stay for the season) and may have some extra credentials behind me like experience on a snowmobile, bumping chairs and a pretty advanced rider.

—————————————-

If you haven’t already, check out my Canada Mega Thread - https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/18391

It has a lot of information about the mountains and how to go about Visas and stuff.

TJswish - 23 June 2015 10:27 PM

Where are you thinking of going James? If it’s anywhere near the BC / Alberta boarder I’d be stoked to catch up with fellow BWers

I’ve got a few places I’m interested in man. Obviously Whistler for one and other resorts like Sun Peaks (had friends there last season plus your review of it was really cool). Plus will also take into consideration where the people I know will be heading, but really not to focused on tagging along with them.

I’ll be keeping a close eye on the employment pages of different resorts and apply wherever if the opportunity arises, but since i’ll be arriving slightly later than most (mid-late November) I can see myself heading to Whistler and trying my luck there.

I’d definitely be keen to meet some BWers! Would be even cool to do so this season at Perisher!

Does anyone know if they prioritise the applications of people who haven’t had the working holiday visa before?
I’m submitting the first part of my application today (this will be the second time I’ve had the visa), hoping to head over in September!

jacksonflower - 02 July 2015 01:31 PM

Does anyone know if they prioritise the applications of people who haven’t had the working holiday visa before?
I’m submitting the first part of my application today (this will be the second time I’ve had the visa), hoping to head over in September!

I doubt it. Though if you’ve worked there for more than 6 months, I think you need a Canadian police check as well as an Aussie one?

(Someone correct me if I’m wrong)