The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Should the Aussie Snow Season start later in the year?

Poll: Should the Aussie Snow Season start later in the year?
Total Votes: 11
YES ~ When the school holidays start
NO ~ Queens Birthday is awesome timing
NEVER ~ Aussie snow is crap - I go OS
OTHER ~ leave your response in the comments

What do you think?

I look at the reports, Perisher is the only resort doing well in regards to having stuff open, but they always do, because lets face it, they have their shit together.

In all seriousness, the goods normally get delivered in the school holidays, late June / early July.
Do you think it is worth having all those staff hanging around, waiting to start work on the off chance it does snow? People selling holidays to the snow thats not really there yet.

Wonder what everyone feels, should the season start in line with the school holidays?

Im a bit meh to be honest. If people are silly enough to part with their money on a bet, which is what the aussie ski opening weekend always is, that there will snow then thats their loss. Its got to start at some point. Ending it is where i have an issue some times, they’ll open with a powderfart of snow on the ground but if the closing date rolls around and theres still plenty, stiff titties seems to be the attitude some times. I get that the resorts have to pay to have staff there, but if there is snow, people will come.
In summary, start whenever i dont care, end when i say so dammit!!!

I don’t mind that it starts early, cause I reckon the resorts and surroundin towns need every day they can get in order to make a little coin!!!!!

Plus it thins the crowds out for later on in the season when I’d rather go!!!!!

Don’t think I’ve ever been in June?????

Oh, and Thredders has got some decent terrain open early on!!!!!

Hm I have no real opinion on this.  It does seem in recent years that we don’t get much snow until school hols, but then opening weekend this year was a bit of fun - I wouldn’t have paid to ride on it, but since I had a season pass, why not?  I guess it also gives the resorts a chance to start gearing up and getting a few tyre-kickers through while the staff are coming online.

As a weekend warrior I love the opening weekend as a relaxed start to the season.

There is lots of reasons the resort like to start/open with marginal snow.

They also stagger start times for staff so there isn’t a bunch of staff sitting around.

Perisher started the season with only salaried staff in my crew - plus us bonus people.

trentradpants - 17 June 2015 06:46 PM

Ending it is where i have an issue some times, they’ll open with a powderfart of snow on the ground but if the closing date rolls around and theres still plenty, stiff titties seems to be the attitude some times.

True that! And I get the staffing bit, but…. agreed!

And there is probably a good chunk of staff willing to stick around too.

I think the biggest reason (In NSW at least) is the national parks lease thingy…

And it is tied to so many things - ie Fishing is not allowed from June LWE to Oct LWE…

But wouldn’t it be interesting if the resorts could operator for a maximum of weeks a year…. so if a season starts late then they have the opportunity to extend weather permitting.