The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Thredbo 2015

Ye the forecasts are looking good, if my first turns of the Aussie season end up being in some sort of fresh snow I’ll be pretty darn happy!

Went to bed with intermittent flurries blowing into the village, woke up to a dusting across the hill.

Tried an oddball idea of using my binoculars as a lens on my phone.

I left this morning at 9:15am, the guns were firing and small flakes where still falling as low as ngarigo camp grounds.
Gave a couple a lift to Canberra (To/From Jindy FB page) then picked my daughter up from school in W’gong. Came home, napped on the lounge until now and about to drive back to Thredbo.

Bring her back on Sunday. After dropping her to school I’ll be heading back.

Wow it got cold at lunchtime today. The drips from my board froze solid and any puddles around the village had crystals forming across them - even in the sunshine.

4:50pm
Guns across the mountain (above 1500m) are all go!

Peeps on my social network would have seen this.
The view I have laying in bed, an hour before sunrise.

I’m booked for a couple of days on Thredbo first week of August.
I’m from Perth. Never been to Thredbo before. I’ve spent more time in Japan
than on the snow in Australia!

Where are the good runs for snowboarding? I’m not a fan of icy moguls!

Any tips would be appreciated!

Don’t like moguls - get up early and on the hill before 10am and you’ll be safe.
Avoid FunelWeb - massive car size moguls by the end of August. (Doesn’t get groomed)

Everywhere else is good because of the grooming every night.

Good tree runs everywhere.
(But not right now since we are restricted to man made snow only and cover is very limited).

Cheers.

All that’s needed is some fresh snow then!

Had a fun couple of days down at Thredbo last week, despite the lack of snow. 1st day was a spring slush shred, great for getting the missus’ legs back and for me to try random stuff, 2nd day there wasn’t much cover and was icy, and 3rd day had a good bit of snowmaking overnight. Probably one of the most fun times I’ve had at the Aussie snow, seeing the missus stoked to be back out and cruising around without any worries or wants to go hit some more advanced stuff. Keen to get back down in 2 weeks!

Who’s heading down next week? I’ll be there Sunday night, shredding Monday through Friday.

Great timing, wizey!!!!!

I’m here (almost) all the time. Generally looking for people to ride with, drink with, dine with.

This Monday I’ll be driving my daughter back to Wollongong - unless I can’t dig the car out - who knows, could happen!

Back Tuesday.

You would think with all the snow across NSW the resorts would be buried in it…

Well the timing was just off - the snow that closed the Hume came through the resorts during the day time with above freezing temps meaning none of it stuck to the ground. By night fall those chunky flakes had passed us and was moving nth across the state.
It did keep snowing through the night but by 4am the sky was clear and wind none existant.

I was out clearing pathways at 5:30am and it wasn’t much deeper than 5cm.

When the sun came out the hill revealed a very inviting site.

I spotted TSRC on supertrail training, so grabbed my camera and was on the hill before 8am taking photos. They packed up at 8:30 as first lifts loaded and I hiked up hill to get a few shots of first runs before doing a lap to get to The Bluff for more shooting.
My daughter was at home alone so dashed down to Valley Terminal which was surprising quiet in the lift line. We had breaky there and even at 10am the lift line for Kosciuszko Chair was reasonable. By the time we got back home the wind picked up, blowing snow off the tree tops and some fresh flakes with it.

Nice pics Spaz.
Thanks for sharing.

Well school hols are coming to a close for WA (is there any state still off?) and still there’s lots not open.  Very sad.  Here’s hoping for regular snow from here on out.

I think Canberra was still on hols last week.

Yesterday The Basin was opened and we were waiting at Eagles Nest for the fence to drop.
PP is just poking her head in on the left of pic.

PP making some fresh tracks in virgin snow.

Antons is also running but the traverse across Merrits Falls is dodgy. We still need lots of wind to fill in areas.
With Basin open Funnelweb is accessible but I’ll be waiting on a fresh dump before risking my newly tuned base.

We also hit Bushranger yesterday but there were plenty of hidden obsticles under the snow.

When I get back down there this week I’ll be shooting the Supertrail Park in hopes of putting an entry or two into the BW photo comp.

It’s expected to be a quiet week, less people to avoid which I’m especially looking forward to after having a punishing collision last week and badly injuring a skier. I’m still a bit sore and have a constant headache - but after a Pilates session with my sister today and a script for decent pain killers from my doc I hope to be in tip top shape for the best part of the season.

How’s the snow looking?

I’m heading over next week. On the snow Thursday 6th. I can only bring one board with me.

I want to bring my Pick your line. I don’t want to get it smashed into rocks though as its my good board for Japan trips! Is the base depth ok?

May seem like a random question but I’ve never been to Thredbo before!

Cheers