The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Canada Mega Thread

No chance of getting a job then in Whis, its called dead season for a reason!

Yeah, I think it would be quite the challenge. Best to use this time as an opportunity to work on your strength, conditioning, fitness, etc. wink

* Note to self: should listen to my own advice! haha

Appreciate all the advice, sounds encouraging! I don’t really want to clean but just want to get a job that will get me through the season and get plenty of ride time. Im sticking with whistler because of it being so big.

Cheers

rider26 - 13 May 2015 02:32 PM

Yeah, I think it would be quite the challenge. Best to use this time as an opportunity to work on your strength, conditioning, fitness, etc. wink

* Note to self: should listen to my own advice! haha

Don’t you know a personal trainer that could whip your arse into gear wink michelle

StevieP - 14 May 2015 04:27 PM

Appreciate all the advice, sounds encouraging! I don’t really want to clean but just want to get a job that will get me through the season and get plenty of ride time. Im sticking with whistler because of it being so big.

Cheers

You say that but most of the major resorts in Canada have more than enough terrain to keep you occupied. Having an excess of groomed runs only helps your gapers and weekend warriors anyway. Many of the Whistler people on here have mentioned they really only like a few of the higher chairs. And early season you have to often download on the gondola due to lack of snow.

Most of the stuff we liked in Sun Peaks was off the beaten track because you’d get fresh powder and tree runs. Now Whistler is amazing and all but if you’re comparing to Aus / NZ, I think you’ll be in for a shock no matter where you go. When I went to Revelstoke, it was so long that it took 4 of us seasoned riders over an hour to get down. In comparison, groomers for 7km at Sun Peaks took 15-20 mins lol. I think the longest runs at perisher don’t take me longer than 5-10 for the harder ones these days.

TJswish - 14 May 2015 10:53 PM

Many of the Whistler people on here have mentioned they really only like a few of the higher chairs.

I dont know anyone who has said that on here or in person.

A few of the chairs that open up the Alpine unlock some killer hard core terrain. But there is still wicked tree runs/glades and steep stuff on the lower chairs like Emerald and Garbo. Some of my favorite runs this season where bombing Aline off Garbo chair.

What airline’s everyone flying with this year?
I’m struggling to find a decent price for a flight around late Sepetember/ early October that doesn’t involve a 10 hour stopover in Beijing haha

Either Air Canada 14h or Air NZ 19h are the best options. Both should be around the $1000 mark.

You are however booking too early. Since there are flights everyday to Canada with both of these airlines, peak time to book is about 2 months out. Keep looking each day and sign up to both their newsletters or facebook pages and wait for deals.

You can and likely will get a flight for under $1000 one way if you are patient.

TJswish - 05 July 2015 04:59 PM

Either Air Canada 14h or Air NZ 19h are the best options. Both should be around the $1000 mark.

You are however booking too early. Since there are flights everyday to Canada with both of these airlines, peak time to book is about 2 months out. Keep looking each day and sign up to both their newsletters or facebook pages and wait for deals.

You can and likely will get a flight for under $1000 one way if you are patient.

Cheers for the tip, I’ll keep an eye out!

Air NZ has a sale at the moment, $300 off a return ticket. If you’re just planning the season, this might be a good look.

TJswish - 08 July 2015 10:27 AM

Air NZ has a sale at the moment, $300 off a return ticket. If you’re just planning the season, this might be a good look.

I did see that actually,
I’d like to stay for summer this time but it still works out slightly cheaper to book a return flight with the $300 discount and just not turn up to the flight home than to book a one way at the moment haha

Nah it’s about 1200 for a one way and 1600 for a return. So it does work out much better if you are going to return but probably not worth it if there is a very good chance you’ll stay.

WOOOO!!!!
visa approved

canada here we come.

anyone else looking at the banff area?
been there before and wanna offer advice?

is it october yet?

J - 12 July 2015 05:18 PM

WOOOO!!!!
visa approved

canada here we come.

anyone else looking at the banff area?
been there before and wanna offer advice?

is it october yet?

Finally someone on here heading to Banff!

I’ll be there in late September/ early October as long as I can finish up at work by on time.

Probably the only advice I can offer is expect to stay a lot longer than you’ve initially planned haha, I have mates that have renewed their visa’s twice (planning to do it a third time) without heading home at all during that time.

Also it’s handy to have a car in Banff but it’s not too inconvenient if you don’t. It just makes getting up the hills and doing grocery runs in -30 weather a bit easier haha.

AND if you book a couple of weeks at a hostel while you look for a room to rent, book the 16 bed dorm at Samesun. It’s actually the old penthouse suite from when the building was a fancy hotel back in the day haha (complete with 3 bedrooms and a lounge/ tv area).

It’s the sickest little town man I know it has a reputation for being really touristy but I don’t get that vibe there.

I had a mate recently tell me that the rules regarding health insurance have changed when you enter Canada under the IEC visa. Apparently they will only issue you a visa the for length your health insurance is valid.

Can anyone confirm this? Heard of this TJ?

I’d rather not buy 24 months worth of health insurance when it’s free once you have an address in Alberta haha.