The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

If you could ride 1 area in WhistlerBlackcomb where would you ride?

Poll: what area/chair
Total Votes: 15
Emerald
Red
Peak
Harmony
Symphony
Garbanzo
7th Heaven
Crystal
Glacier Express
Jersey Cream
Solar Coaster

Saw WB instagram post and just curious you guys who ride/rode Whistler. On a good powder day with good freezing level (from first to last chair, no leaving early) if you could only ride 1 area/lift at both mountains, what will you choose?

This is super hard but I probably will choose either Crystal or 7th.

Crystal: the groomers can be deep, even when tracked out it’s still fun with lots of side hits. You can venture to the trees pretty easily. Fraggle Rock area.

7th: the area is so big that the pow stashes can last longer than other areas. You can also access couloir extreme, pakalolo, and cougar chutes from 7th. The only downside is the crazy lines.

Symphony is a close 3rd.

Peak. No contest for me.

But I’m interested and open to anyone trying to prove me otherwise (must be done by showing me the goods on a powder day). wink

I think my main gripe with Peak is that you can’t really lap it if you don’t go down shale. You have to go all the way down to red which means crazy lines.

Who’s the troll who voted for Solar Coaster hahah, not sure if serious or not.

Rico what about Olympic Chair! don’t be biased hahah.

and the magic carpets can offer some serious goods on a pow day. pretty slow to get tracked out!

Olympic chair’s pow will be scraped pretty fast grin

I know you’re biased towards Symphony Rhys haha.

Plz be more specific.

Is it a crazy pow day?

In general I always go 7th or Crystal. Because 7th trees are nice and past cloud 9 it is great, and even when it’s crowded, there’s always lines to cut when you know where to go.

Crystal has trees which I love and the last time I went there on that pow day where it got heavy 1/2 way through, I was waist deep and going down pretty much horizontal like I was sleeping on my side. That said, we were pretty much one of the first ones there so yes it was awesome.

I think overall even tho’ I haven’t gone that much this time around I’d say 7th because I can keep going down easily without having to skate or try to build speed. =)

I actually love the the ride from staff housing to the village-  it just offers so much scenery with the bridge and such….. LOL

too many variables i can’t choose. what kinda pow day is it - where was the wind coming from? how many cms fell? has alpine been closed for a day or longer? who am i riding with? all these things affect where i ride. Everywhere can be awesome depending on the situation.

i vote for snowboarding.

- actually i really want to get on skis agin for a day just for shits - i enjoyed skinning around on the split board!

grunge - 22 January 2015 06:46 PM

Plz be more specific.

Is it a crazy pow day?

Great minds think a like andy!

@grunge and Rhys: Doesn’t matter. To make it easier it’s at least 30cm, you can be riding solo or with friends. Just imagine you’re only riding Whistler for 1 day for the whole year and can only choose 1 area. You guys are making this a lot more complicated than it is haha.

I never liked “just snowboard” on a powder day without any plans. It always ended up subpar and disappointing. If I pick and plan where to go I will usually get 1 epic run.

@grunge: Haha same with me here 7th or Crystal.

^ But that’s the thing, you can never really plan as you never really know where the crowds are going to be.
Why 1 awesome run when you can get in 3?

That’s what happened when we went to Crystal.

RhysL - 22 January 2015 06:49 PM
grunge - 22 January 2015 06:46 PM

Plz be more specific.

Is it a crazy pow day?

Great minds think a like andy!

punch

grin

@grunge: Because after 1 awesome run, you usually get 2-3 decent runs after. One time I just ride whatever on a pow day and didn’t get any epic runs.  If you just ride whatever and don’t plan, and suddenly you see peak open for example, you’ll be way behind the line, where as if you plan to ride peak (e.g. do 1 lap of ratfink to emerald, then lineup for peak), you’re for sure almost guaranteed an untouch pow line down peak and 1 great run down ratfink. That’s my thinking anyways. I always like to plan, even outside of snowboarding. I don’t like spontaneous, do whatever you feel like doing.

On a Powder Day?????

It’d have to be Peak to Creek!!!!!

I do love the Crystal (?????) Area though!!!!! (Rock & Roll?????, would be all sorts of awesome on a fresh deep day)

* Note that I havent really had a powder day at Whis!!!!! 20cm fresh above 1200 was where I’ve been!!!!!

@skip11: Fair point, but like I said, I never have any problems not sticking to a plan.

Ever.

I usually have an idea of where I’d like to go in order of priority and react on what I see where ppl are going/lift conditions and react accordingly.

When I’ve gone with ppl and their plans are too rigid that’s when all fun goes out the window, right after all the fresh lines. LOL.

That’s why no friends on a pow day. =)

It has to be Peak!

Especially with the open interpretation of the question… This gives some of the best variety and terrain so hopefully means more options for fresh tracks as the day goes on.
First person off peak chair at the top after 30cm+ and have it untouched all the way to Creekside has got to be hard to beat!

@grunge: “I usually have an idea of where I’d like to go in order of priority and react on what I see where ppl are going/lift conditions and react accordingly.”

That’s what I meant by plan. It doesn’t have to be rigid, but at least you have an idea where you wanna go. I don’t like it when it’s too rigid as well. If it’s too crowded or whatnot you move to plan B. Totally different than just strapping in and ride wherever.

@mizu and 900steve: Hmmm, interesting. I’ve never actually done peak to creek on a powder day (from top all the way to bottom). I might have to try that sometime.

Shit i dont know,

I have had the best run of my life at VD Trees, yet had the funnest entire day riding at 7th trees.

i can’t pick it.