The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

SJCAM SJ4000

Anyone played with these at all?
I did a bit of looking around the internet, watched a few reviews and pretty much just looked at the thing.
I know practically nothing about what settings mean and all that so was a bit of a gamble.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Action-Sport-Cam-Camera-Full-HD-1080p-Video-Photo-Waterproof-Helmetcam-SJ4000-/400701629000
Review - http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/9/22/at-last-its-the-real-sj4000-wifi-review.html

$100 isnt bad at all.

Mine came in the mail today.  Thought it’ be good to have a camera for Japan to film all this chin deep pow I’ll be going thru (hahaha)
Few reviews have said that with recording and editing the quality can get just as good, if not better quality then a gopro.

What would some of the main things I should look at changing in the settings to get these “better quality” settings?

What are your thoughts on these cameras?

Still cant figure out how to embed videos…. haha

This is a test I did yesterday.  Pretty much straight from the box.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-j82WIeRZ4&feature=youtu.be

They recommend changing the settings in youtube to 1080HD to get the real quality of the video.

mattyp - 25 November 2014 11:56 AM

Cause that one had a “&” in it, you also had to omit everythin after and includin it, too!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 25 November 2014 02:44 PM
mattyp - 25 November 2014 11:56 AM

Cause that one had a “&” in it, you also had to omit everythin after and includin it, too!!!!!

I just hit quote so I could see what it is you put in, did exactly that, and it still doesnt show. haha.

mattyp - 25 November 2014 04:19 PM

I just hit quote so I could see what it is you put in, did exactly that, and it still doesnt show. haha.

This is the code you need to embed this video:

rider26 - 25 November 2014 04:34 PM
mattyp - 25 November 2014 04:19 PM

This is the code you need to embed this video:

So everything after the = and before the & ?

Correct.

Also, if you go directly to the video, this is the actual URL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-j82WIeRZ4

So, you just need what’s after the =

Another way, if the URL is messy is hit the “share” button on the video, which will bring up this URL:

http://youtu.be/_-j82WIeRZ4

In this one, you only need what’s after the /

All the same though. wink

Cheers bud

well looks like you got no info from the other two weasels up here^^^^ as usual…

My housemate has one and the footage looks decent enough when watching on her tablet.
Buy three for the price of one gopro and shoot multiple angles and then who cares if the quality isnt quite as good LOL

*Edit: have you got at least 2 batteries?

Damn weasels haha.

Its a tad blurry with quick head movements, panning. But think it should be fine for when plowing down a hill

Nah, I thought about it.  But once the battery is removed, all the settings in the camera go back to default.. So if I was to play with them a bit in the snow, id have to change the settings all back..  Guess I could just record them all in my phone or something.  Sure there wouldnt be to much in the settings anyway.

Hey, who you callin “weasel”, Knobslinger!!!!!

As a camera for the snow the main issue will be its ability to transition from dark to light, On sunny days, your footage will show shadows very dark.
You really need to be aware of having the light source behind you - which is only something a practiced photog does and not something anyone thinks about using a wearable camera. This alone makes me think its useless as a ActionCam.

It will fog up inside the housing! get some fog strips.

Dont bother using this to get slow-mo. Even though theres a setting for 60fps IT DOESN’t SHOOT 60fps for slo-mo!!

Compatible with gopro mounts - nice! And since it comes with a variety of mounts - it’s a good way to get mounts if you already own gopro.

The audio is crap!
There are a few bugs in the cam but you get what you pay for.

For a little extra you could get a cam dedicated to action sports and not a reverse engineered gopro made from cheap DashCam parts.
It is worth $100 because you get gopro compatible mounts.

ActionCams began by hashing together SecurityCam parts almost 20 years ago - SJ4000 is a HUGE step backwards for this tech.

The only way the footage will be better quality than gooro is by comparing it to the original video capable gopro (2008/09).

but good on ya Matty for taking the gamble for us!

Few little tips will definitely make for some thought out shooting.
This camera in its settings reads it goes down to 30fps.
I then read online somewhere that it actually just doubles all the frames…
Not exactly what you’re after..
All up, For $100, I dont think its to bad.

Compared to a GoPro, the colours definitely arnt as bright and vibrant, and it doesnt capture as well. 

Im just hoping that it will get me some good shots while im OS!
If not, then I will call it a waste of money.