The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Low Guidos Skate-a-tron 4000 (electric skateboard)

Dr1f7r and I went for a skate this morning and took some video. I also overlayed some GPS info for speed readings. I didnt reach top speed there was too many people on the path for any high speed runs.

So, went for a morning cruise with LowGuido around the lake. Everything was going great, untill my drive whell locked up and I lost signal.
shortly after the ESC started beeping weird, and crackeling… Then pumping out plumes of deep red smoke… :/
a bit of investigation showed this…

Good thighs I had just finished making the second one for the dual wheel board so I had a spare… Still pretty devo though.

Know why it happened and how to prevent it from happening again?

Nope, only guesses.
luckily I had another ESC built for the 2wd. So just have to order a new one for the, but can still ride.

it just keeps getting crazier!
this is like an addiction now.

its hard to tell why Dr1f7r’s ESC crapped itself. I have been running the exact same unit myself for just as long with no issues.
and with nothing but a fried mess left behind its even harder to work out what actually failed.

took a test ride of the twin motor 3kW Skate-a-Tron the other night and man it feels good.. no top speed runs yet.. I can only imagine it would get up around the 40~50km/h range fairly easily considering I clock 36km/h on the single motor.

Hahahaha! Dude, this is so epic! That thing looks like a beast. thumbsup

I can only imagine this is what you look like in your workshop.

LowGuido - 09 January 2015 10:26 PM

Dr1f7r and I went for a skate this morning and took some video. I also overlayed some GPS info for speed readings. I didnt reach top speed there was too many people on the path for any high speed runs.

Awesome!

Looking forward to building my 2wd, and takeing these out for a long ride.
Unlike LGs FrontRear offset mine will be DualRWD… might be interesting with all that extra torque.

Ordered my new ESCs after frying a 2nd one.
Tried a different brand, hopefully these wont burst into flames.

just made some cosmetic changes to the board to make it look prettier

well I went for a shakedown skate with the twin motor Skate-A-Tron and got 13km before the low battery alarm went off.
obviously having 2 speed controls and 2 motors drains the batteries a little bit more than 1 motor but still a pretty decent range.
clocked a fairly lazy 32.4km/h going up a slight incline. It didnt even crack a sweat. there Is a lot left in it and I’m probably not going to ever find out what the top speed is. I run out of balls long before it runs out of acceleration.

why have all the extra power then?
it is interesting because having all the extra torque actually allows the board to move slower smoothly and climbs slight hills without any dramas. and it accommodates for the larger rider better.

carpark testing YEW!
Yeah, I totaly ran out of carpark. but it was really nice and smooth to roll on smile
(sorry my friend filmed verticaly)

Skate-A-Tron 4002 range extender kit!

annnd

moar motors

When 1 motor isn’t enough. Lets put 4 on there lol