The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

OS Options for Family Stay

Hey Crew,

We’re considering options for an OS snow trip with 2 kids for up to 2 months.  We’d previously been thinking about Japan but now want to widen the scope to include other places as well, especially North America.  We obviously want a family friendly resort with reasonable ticket prices and in particular we want to find out about accommodation options.  We are thinking that renting an apartment might be the way to go.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to start looking?

Cheers,

Mud

2 months? The world is your oyster! Sorry I don’t have any kidlets mud, so can’t really help ya there…. *cue tambazz*

2 months in the same resort?????

I’d break it up at least into 2 or more if it we’re me!!!!!

As for a Canadian Resort, I really don’t think you could beat Whistler to cater for a long stay with a family!!!!! The place really does have everything!!!!!

Currently looking at Sun Peaks just to get an idea of costs.  Airfares look like the killer so far - about $3k per person return - ouch!  It looks like we could get an apartment (condo) for around CAD$8K to 10K for 7 weeks.  Hopefully a bit more searching will get these prices down.

What changed ya mind about Japan?????

Mizu Kuma - 20 September 2014 05:13 PM

What changed ya mind about Japan?????

Well Japan was going to be a 2 week trip for me and Mrs. Mud sans kids.  If we are going to be taking them, then maybe we want to go for a bit longer and open up our options a bit.  We haven’t necessarily discounted Japan.

Yeah, I reckon Japan would be an awesome experience for the kids, but I can’t see them enjoyin the majority of the stay on snow there as opposed to somewhere like Canada!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 20 September 2014 05:58 PM

Yeah, I reckon Japan would be an awesome experience for the kids, but I can’t see them enjoyin the majority of the stay on snow there as opposed to somewhere like Canada!!!!!

Can you elaborate, my furry friend?

Mudhoney - 20 September 2014 07:13 PM
Mizu Kuma - 20 September 2014 05:58 PM

Can you elaborate, my furry friend?

As a comparison with Whistler, my observations were that there’s an absolute multitude of activities based in its resort boundaries, as opposed to even the biggest of Japanese Resorts!!!!!

In Japan, you’ll have to travel well outside the resorts in order to “mix things up” to keep the kids from gettin over it!!!!!

The Village in Whistler alone is a great place to wonder around pickin out things to do/see!!!!!

Ah OK, good to know.

Any thoughts on the Tahoe area resorts covered by the Epic Pass?

Sorry mate, I’ve never been!!!!!

Snowdragon, Ozzy, Deano, NBG will most likely help there!!!!!

I would stick to Canada. Never been myself but for language also with the kids. They might feel very isolated if they can’t hang with other children or even talk to random people. It would be cheap in Canada compared to Japan?

Very lucky children! They will be able to soak up everything around them.

Japan would be way cheaper than Canada, and especially the way that the Dollar is headin at the moment!!!!!

Hi Mud!

How excitement!

Tahoe is amazing (and I will always talk it up! it is my spiritual snow home!) and you will get a great deal on airfares (no internal flights required) and accommodation. And all good for Families too.

But I highly recommend Winter Park (I have also worked there)  for a great family friendly resort.

But since you are going for such a long time then opening it out to the Epic Pass is a great idea as well. Set yourselves up with a base in Frisco (have not spent much time there and don’t know what the hotel/rental situation is like for long term) and explore the area!

I agree with Mizu re Japan. I don’t think there is much to hold the kids attention outside of the slopes.

Just in terms of cost I personally think the US is cheaper than Canada…

Also what where the dates?

An I am guessing you are thinking 2015/16 season?

Canada is way more expensive… In Sun Peaks a case of cheap beer was $40ish, in Chicago (first place I bought a case) it was $23 inc tax.

Food was <$10 in the USA and $10-20 in Canada and if you work at either, you won’t make that much more in Canada.