The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Skiing kills snowboarding?... and article

Have aloof. Has some interesting bits
Boothy’s Blog

Interesting article. One thing he didn’t touch on is that of the riders who have become pro from urban riding which can be done in any city with snow. People were snowboarding at Falls Festival, Lorne, Victoria paddocks this year when we had snow falls.

We really need more Australian brands to lower the prices for the young guys/girls to get them in to the sport. A wider range of goods would help. I remember my first snowboarding trip to Hotham I was in year 10, 16 yrs old and after I paid for the package and had some money spare so I could buy lunch. I couldn’t afford the gloves and goggles to buy because I couldn’t rent them.

Skiing ins’t the problem, it’s snowboarding which needs to help itself.

Has some very interesting bits!!

A very balanced blog IMO.

Please read all of it before getting fixated on the first point you hate!

Interestingly I am doing more days on a board than I ever had year on year! (thanks to you guys here! raspberry )

And mum wants to try it! LOL (ohhh maybe that is a bit like Boothys comment about when Shaun White appeared on his Year 12 PE text book snowboarding was dead to him! LOL)

But yeah i would be very interested to see the Aussie stats.

Haven’t read the article yet but when I was in Treble Cone earlier this year it felt like it was something like 9:1 skier to boarder ratio big surprise

But that’s Treble Cone. It’s skiier territory, with all the flats.

Go to Cardrona and you’ll see the opposite, or at least a more balanced ratio.
Same with the other resorts in QT.

grunge - 18 September 2014 02:13 PM

But that’s Treble Cone. It’s skiier territory, with all the flats.

Go to Cardrona and you’ll see the opposite, or at least a more balanced ratio.
Same with the other resorts in QT.

Lots of flats, long runs (for people in the southern hemisphere not used to them) no party scene, long drive and no park.

I love TC, it’s great… but it’s definitely setup as a skiier mountain first.

TJswish - 18 September 2014 02:48 PM

Lots of flats, long runs (for people in the southern hemisphere not used to them) no party scene, long drive and no park.

Well… there is a ... “park” if you can consider 2 boxes and a XS jump a park.
The freeriding is great tho.

The drive isn’t long if you’re in Wanaka tho’, it’s the shortest one. But yes, coming in from QT…. =(

I love TC, it’s great… but it’s definitely setup as a skiier mountain first with no further effort to cater for snowboarders.

Fixed. wink

drc13 - 18 September 2014 12:54 PM

Haven’t read the article yet but when I was in Treble Cone earlier this year it felt like it was something like 9:1 skier to boarder ratio big surprise

I noticed this too!

And in Cardrona I didn’t notice much more of a balance - it was higher but still way less snowboarders than I thought.

I video the Remarks burton park thingy to show you guys and it was dead! A lone park dude repairing some features…

Over the school holidays I didn’t notice a huge disparity, more skiers but not that bad.
Treble Cone did have the biggest difference, yes.

...and then there was our heli group - guide on skis, one skier, 4 boarders.
A win for the boarders in paradise wink

I thought reasonable as well….

ozgirl - 18 September 2014 12:52 PM

Interestingly I am doing more days on a board than I ever had year on year! (thanks to you guys here! raspberry )

And mum wants to try it! .

from the #grannyshredder… tell her HELMET! and bum pads!

Tambo - 18 September 2014 07:37 PM
ozgirl - 18 September 2014 12:52 PM

And mum wants to try it! .

from the #grannyshredder… tell her HELMET! and bum pads!

and maybe she should stick to the surface lifts for a while… tongue wink

Haha!!

I will be sure too pass your tips on!

She is a little apprehensive about getting back on the hill, magic carpet and/or the T Bar next opening weekend.

I told her I am not taking no for an answer next long weekend!

ozgirl - 18 September 2014 09:27 PM

Haha!!

I will be sure too pass your tips on!

She is a little apprehensive about getting back on the hill, magic carpet and/or the T Bar next opening weekend.

I told her I am not taking no for an answer next long weekend!

first lift and she will realise she is fine and be away smile
Or not.
It took one lift ride each to realise tbar with broken arm was doable but not fun, and chair was no problem.
By next season it’ll just be apprehension holding her back…one successful ride and that’ll go.