The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Big Guy Boarding…...

Well I am about 6’3” or about 189cm tall and I am a big guy….. physically large.

That means kind of heavy too…..

130Kg when I am on the slim side and a big more than that when I am sporting a gut.

I think the skate boards that I rode when I was 12, will just tend to bend and break up down the hill like a bad reentry on a space shuttle….

It’s an ugly scene.

While I doubt it that the slim pickings boards will work for me, anyone making seriously strong gear for heavy riders?

Welcome to Boardworld, Big Foot.

Definitely check out Manton Skateboards. http://www.mantonskateboards.com.au/

Their boards are super strong. Check out this recent review from Mitch Faber. Mitch used to be sponsored by us and he filmed with us a lot too. He’s such a gnarly skater and really heavy on his boards. He used to snap them all the time until he went to Manton.

Ok…ignore below…I didn’t read SKATEBOARD!  Doh!!

Big Foot - 11 September 2014 06:44 PM

Well I am about 6’3” or about 189cm tall and I am a big guy….. physically large.

That means kind of heavy too…..

130Kg when I am on the slim side and a big more than that when I am sporting a gut.

I think the skate boards that I rode when I was 12, will just tend to bend and break up down the hill like a bad reentry on a space shuttle….

It’s an ugly scene.

While I doubt it that the slim pickings boards will work for me, anyone making seriously strong gear for heavy riders?

plenty of boards will hold up to you!
I’ve got a bit of a bug bear with the industry marketing bigger people out - you’d probably have a few issues finding a jacket to fit you comfortably too…across the shoulders?  Am I right?
I know because I’ve stalked the pavement with my son looking for new gear!
He’s 6’4 was 120kgs but is just over 100 now after a very disciplined programme with his dietician.
He was born big, was a chubby toddler, a rotund child, the pudgy teenager - although his diet was significantly better than all of his mates, and he did ridiculously high amounts of training.
He is 17, but has been riding around this height/weight for about 2 years.

His favourite board for freeriding has been the Never Summer Cobra. 
He has ridden and enjoyed his brothers Never Summer Evo with good results also.

But honestly, most decent boards will be fine for you. 
Ok, if you buy a super flexi park board and jump on a rail, maybe the pressure on either side will see you in trouble wink
But if you’re just snowboarding with a bit of pop on natural features, there will be a lot of possible options for you.
Avoid a noodle, get something a bit stiffer.  shaka
Good luck!

Hey Big Foot,

Welcome to Boardworld.

Getting a wider deck also helps with keeping snappage to a minimum, but as Rider mentioned the Manton boards are strong. Knowing Mitch as well and knowing that he is a beast with snapping boards and the fact that Manton boards take his abuse is testimony to their strength.

The SAF series boards are the ones that are strong, seems like they only have 8 inch boards at left at the moment, but on saying that they are 50 bucks which is “RIDICULOUS”.

Hope this helps, but if not always ask again. We are here to help mate grin

Hi CJ
Im Back. After a few technical issues (thanks Jez) im am back to tell some stories. Big Guy i will personally send you a replacement if you snap an SAF deck while riding, i have come to the conclusion if Mitch Faber cant snap one after 7 months i am not sure if there is a human on the planet that can go through one. Any questions feel free to ask! Butch

Welcome back Butch,

I am glad to hear that you are prepared to back your product and that you have had someone so gnarly to test your product.