The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

A serious discussion on the pricing of snowboard gear

Hey guys,

I want to open this thread for open, honest, and serious discussion about pricing of snowboard gear. I am not starting this thread for any reason other than I am genuinely curious as to what you guys consider good value or not good value.

Please understand that Australia is a different market to the USA, and the prices will probably never line up exactly. That’s not what this is about. This thread is about trying to gauge where you see the value when buying from legitimate stores in Australia.

I have been working in this industry for a long time, and I can assure you stores have always battled to bring prices down as much as possible for their customers, so please don’t turn this into a store/brand bashing. Let’s keep things honest but civil.

Here are some general questions but feel feel to add anything else you want to this discussion…
<li>Would you or do you ever buy snowboard gear at full Australian retail price?</li>
<li>What is your reasoning for purchasing from stores in Australia? What additional value do they give you?</li>
<li>Specifically talking about hardware (snowboards, bindings, boots), at what discount (percentage) do you consider buying gear from an Australian retailer?</li>
<li>Specifically talking about outerwear and accessories, at what discount (percentage) do you consider buying gear from an Australian retailer?</li>
<li>What price range do you think top end snowboards should fall into at full RRP?</li>
<li>What price range do you think more entry level snowboards should fall into at full RRP?</li>
<li>Speaking about snowboards again, when looking at say a premium/high end snowboard, at what price would you consider too expensive for a purchase before looking overseas?</li>
<li>Which brands do you think offer great value for Australian customers?</li>
Thank you for your time and I look forward to discussing this with you.

OK I’ll bite, keep in mind I import most of my major and not so major purchases (not just snow gear)

I don’t however waste Australian store owners time or go in and do test fittings. I’ll do my own research online and accept sizing is a risk.

Would you or do you ever buy snowboard gear at full Australian retail price?
If I really “needed” the item and couldn’t find a comparable product/sizing discounted elsewhere.

What is your reasoning for purchasing from stores in Australia? What additional value do they give you?
Ability to physically see item/fit in store, cheaper shipping (vs overseas), if I need the item in a short timeframe and easier returns/warrantys.
Kind of off topic on the snow side of things but I’ve wanted to bring this up before in regards to the BW store. There is pretty much one Aussie online store I buy quite a lot from and that’s surfstitch. With the usage of discount codes the prices can be really good by Aussie standards and I actually have much more choice of styles/products in my size which aren’t carried in brick and mortars. The absolute best bit is their shipping and returns policy. If I’m unsure of a size I can order 2 pairs of the same pants/boardies in a different size and return the item that doesn’t fit with zero hassle/cost. I’ve purchased a lot more items than I usually would have because of the ability to effectively try before I buy. In regards to the BW store I really wanted to pull the trigger on some RAD gloves but without being able to try them on and often being in between glove sizes I couldn’t do it.

Specifically talking about hardware (snowboards, bindings, boots), at what discount (percentage) do you consider buying gear from an Australian retailer?
Whatever price makes it comparable vs the cost of me importing the items from the US. Boots might have more room to play with as you do gain advantages being able to try them on or have the adjusted locally.

Specifically talking about outerwear and accessories, at what discount (percentage) do you consider buying gear from an Australian retailer?
Whatever price makes it comparable vs the cost of me importing the items from the US.

What price range do you think top end snowboards should fall into at full RRP?
$400

What price range do you think more entry level snowboards should fall into at full RRP?
$200

Speaking about snowboards again, when looking at say a premium/high end snowboard, at what price would you consider too expensive for a purchase before looking overseas?
I would buy local if the price of the board in Australia wasn’t significantly more expensive than the cost of me purchasing the same board + shipping for OS. I purchased my Charlie slasher locally as the price was right, I tried to purchase this seasons board locally only to discover it had been listed incorrectly on their site so unfortunately had to return it so I do try to purchase this way when possible.

Which brands do you think offer great value for Australian customers?
I probably haven’t purchased enough items locally to really judge this but from what I’ve seen when Fyve has a sale on their boards they end up being a pretty decent price. Rome has given me fantastic after sales service as well.

I might not be the best sample for this survey but hopefully something in there helps.

Depends for me on the product a lot of the time I try and get a deal. Mark up can be high in all board industries.

What is your reasoning for purchasing from stores in Australia? What additional value do they give you?

I like to support local stores and I prefer to support local brands. I personally haven’t bought any gear from the US but I have considered it. I don’t get any additional value buying from the Australian stores except you can return product easily if it’s faulty.

Specifically talking about hardware (snowboards, bindings, boots), at what discount (percentage) do you consider buying gear from an Australian retailer?

It’s case by case for me discount. If the board is a 2012 and it’s 2014 give me a good price. I have seen 2012 Burton Rulers for more than 2014 models, I don’t care what the store paid for them. Look after me and ill look out for you.

Specifically talking about outerwear and accessories, at what discount (percentage) do you consider buying gear from an Australian retailer?

Certain brands I will consider paying full price for outwear like 3CS because they have the quality to match it.

$900 - $1000 a board is a wank. I would pay in the range of $600-$800 for a new board. RRP should be $800 or less.

What price range do you think more entry level snowboards should fall into at full RRP?

I think entry level boards should be around the $200-$400. A basic board should be marked correctly.

Speaking about snowboards again, when looking at say a premium/high end snowboard, at what price would you consider too expensive for a purchase before looking overseas?

$900+ is to much for any board when you have local guys making custom boards for less.

Fyve, Nitro, Lib Tech (depending on the store), Rome. That’s from what I have seen around stores.

I do understand the struggle of the retailer in Australia as it’s very seasonal and you have to work so hard to get the products out. I find a lot of retailers aren’t interested in supporting Australian snowboarding, they don’t stock local products and don’t look to put money in to the competitions or even help the younger guys going on trips this is where BW kills it. Stores just push the $$$$ ... “POW DROPPING! COME IN STORE! BUY A NEW BOARD!” Can’t knock the hustle but every day this is in my feed. I never see “Snow is coming is there any questions people have? We can help”

Thanks guys. Anyone else?

rider26 - 25 July 2014 11:22 AM

Please understand that Australia is a different market to the USA, and the prices will probably never line up exactly. That’s not what this is about. This thread is about trying to gauge where you see the value when buying from legitimate stores in Australia.

Unfortunately the overseas pricing thing cannot be ignored in this discussion as it has such a large bearing.

<li>Would you or do you ever buy snowboard gear at full Australian retail price?</li>
Not for more costly items unless there was a special reason to do so, eg. needed it urgently, or availability was very low for some reason (eg. Yes The Standard).  I don’t mind as much for smaller items eg. a block of wax.

<li>What is your reasoning for purchasing from stores in Australia? What additional value do they give you?</li>
Mainly sizing but also the ability to have a face-to-face with someone who really knows what they’re talking about.  As an example, when my wife went to buy ski boots, the guy at the shop spent about the first 15 minutes just examining her feet.  The whole fitting took hours.  The boots she bought from him fit her extremely well, making her skiing experience much better.  She pretty much always goes for the cheapest price she can find however she has said she will always go back to her local guy for boots.  Personally I also like to support local industry and people I know and like, too.  I don’t plan to buy my boards anywhere other than BW.

<li>Specifically talking about hardware (snowboards, bindings, boots), at what discount (percentage) do you consider buying gear from an Australian retailer?</li>
I plan to always buy through BW.  Prior to that I always looked for 30% or better, however in the current day and age I would compare directly with OS.

<li>Specifically talking about outerwear and accessories, at what discount (percentage) do you consider buying gear from an Australian retailer?</li>
When it is close to being on par with OS prices or if it’s smaller stuff where it’s not worth the hassle or shipping cost to order OS.

<li>What price range do you think top end snowboards should fall into at full RRP?</li>
Snowboard + bindings around $1k, maybe $1,200 for absolute top shelf but I’d be asking for a package price.

<li>What price range do you think more entry level snowboards should fall into at full RRP?</li>
Snowboard + bindings around $500-600.

<li>Speaking about snowboards again, when looking at say a premium/high end snowboard, at what price would you consider too expensive for a purchase before looking overseas?</li>
not planning on looking OS for snowboards unless unavailable here.

I’ve been happy with the quality of my Yes and Flux gear.

I have, never again

Customer service, if its good ill be tipped to buy local 9/10 times. but when i can save 50-80%, especially when its big ticket gear, ill buy online. but in no sense am i saying ill go in, time waste for sizing purposes, then go online. if i choose to buy online, i wont waste a stores time

As a general rule its gotta be at least 40% off

same as above, 40%

cant really comment, only time i would spend over $400 would be if i invest in a splitboard

$80-$200

spending that kind of money on a board does not appeal to me at all, as i said wouldnt spend over $400 ($450 MAX) on a standard board

not sure

Not a chance, unfortunately!

Unfortunately these reasons are hard to find. I bought my first ever set-up from a local snowboard store (board, bindings, pants, jacket) because I knew absolutely zilch about what I was doing. So in that sense, I guess knowledge where there is none is a reason.
Buying boots is another reason but out of 4 pairs of boots I’ve owned, I’ve bought 2 in Sweden, 1 in NZ and one at a local shop in Aus.

Like Dylan, probably at least 40%.

I’m not sure about discounts as I don’t even know what prices outwear goes for in Australia at the moment, but I wouldn’t ever pay more than $150 max for a pair of pants and prob $180 for a jacket. Absolute max prices there.

$300-$600

$150-300

I’d probably pay $400 for a board if I couldn’t find it anywhere else on the net for much cheaper and it was the exact model/size I was looking for and I thought the guy who owned the shop was a nice bloke wink

Not in a position to comment, I’m afraid! Just from activity on these forums though, it sounds like the people at YES do everything they can to help people.
Fyve also seems to be doing really good things.

When i first started boarding I was at uni and therefore had hardly any coin to be spending on snow gear so I had to rely on visits to actual shops when they had sales on. Later on as I gained employment I had spare money but the ingrained need for finding a bargain was still strong like luke skywalkers force in me and with the advent and ease of internet shopping I started sourcing my gear from the much cheaper OS market. Now that I have even more money again, Im still not akin to sourcing a bargain but prefer to do it from aussie stores and have even bought items at the RRP. My first RRP snowboard was bought just a few months back but that being said sometimes the difference between RRP here and OS is ridiculous and as much as it hurts our retailers etc, i cant justify a say $200 price difference and will buy it from an OS retailer.

Warranty is probably the main thing plus attempting to keep aussie dollars in australia and australian shops in business. Im not sure what extra value that gives me, but I do get some satisfaction for the a for mentioned reason

Specifically talking about hardware (snowboards, bindings, boots), at what discount (percentage) do you consider buying gear from an Australian retailer? For ‘big ticket’ items the bigger the discount the more chance i am to buying. I find that 25% and up makes me start to take notice, make it above 50% and my hand already has my credit card at the ready and im looking for anything that I might on the slightest chance need.

Specifically talking about outerwear and accessories, at what discount (percentage) do you consider buying gear from an Australian retailer? Similar to the previous answer but seeing as I have some insight into what things actually cost to make from most asian suppliers, I tend to only even look if items are 60% and up off. Now Im not saying I agree with the working conditions of workers who work in places that make these types of items, but if thats where the outerwear companies decide to use and they have the items i want, theres little i can do. Sure i could use companies that dont get stuff made in these places BUT they might not have anything i like and im not just going to wear something i dont like for some moral ground protest.

Boutique companies ie offshore, spring break, gentem etc that have some proper handmadeness to them $700+
Cookie cutter mass factory boards $400-500

$300-500,
anything bought on mass off alibaba $200

Honestly I’d look overseas whilst also looking here to see what the price difference is. If the difference starts pushing the multiple 100’s, then overseas will win most of the time.

Fyve, Rad, Offshore snowshapes, Catalyst Snowboards are crazy cheap for handmade australian boards. I find that most australian based companies want to look after us as a whole and will try and keep pricing in check with what OS companies would charge for a similar thing in their home country.

I give big ups for any Aussie brand who tries to start a company and compete in this crazy market, and will try and support them if i can