The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

carbon AT by Evolve

For anyone looking for an awesome carving board, electric and all terrain capable, i recommend a Carbon AT from Evolve. I bought one of these a month ago (see photos) and they’re awesome fun. RRP is pricey but well worth it imo. Charge time 2 hrs for a full charge. Speed to 40 km/hr (2 speeds). Deck built from carbon fibre and kevlar mix.

Cheers, patrick lipman.

I just bought one last week! Fantastic board and have been comfortably hitting 30-35kmh without any instability issues.  Haven’t put the street wheels on yet but the AT setup is so much fun, especially taking it on my local golf course (early mornings hahaha), it feels really close to snowboarding - moreso than skating anyway…

Best $1949 ever spent!

Welcome to Boardworld, @pat12345. thumbsup

The YouTube ID doesn’t seem to be working. Do you have a working link?

Electric boards seem to be on the up and up at the moment. Be good to see the footage of one in action.

I’m heading out on mine after work today (haven’t missed a day since buying it!), I’ll post up a vid.  I cannot say how impressed I am, pretty fucking awesome…

Took the carbon out for the daily spin yesterday, it’s handy living in the middle of a network of bike tracks, there’s always plenty of space to head onto the grass/dirt and have a rip if you want too. I got the 2-in-1 Carbon AT so it comes with the 80cm loaded Kegel street wheels but at this point I’m having way too much fun with the 8” Mbs tyres:
Royal Park cruise

Just got delivery of these bad boys. They needed the ABEC11 wheel pulley which I found on Ebay.

Cant wait to get these out on the dirt - good compromise between the 80mm loaded Kegels and 9” MBS tyres:

Nice one. The hubs are the same as flywheels so the pulley should be a straight swap. Where did you end up getting those mbs wheels from?i looked around for them but i could only find the complete longboard in oz.

Got them on Amazon from the Colony Sports Group:

Here

The hubs have actually got slightly narrower slots than regular flywheels so they needed a bit of “trimming” with a stanley knife to fit.

Going to give them a go later on today….

Put the new wheels on. They’re pretty good - not as good as the 80mm Kegels and can’t cover the full off-road stuff like the 8” MBS wheels but they are an ok compromise:

Still need to do more testing…

Finally got back from a crazy Vegas week and finished up the flywheel testing.  So these wheels have significantly smaller holes for the flywheel than the ABECs which meant I had to whittle down the “teeth” on the flywheel to what could only be described as flimsy.

Not being a person to pay attention to such details, I took it out for a spin on some damp-ish bitumen bike paths around Royal Park.  Initial feedback was that the wheels were hell slippy, definitely did not stick to the ground like the Kegels and were a pretty rough ride.  The speed was impressive though.  Took it onto regular grass (again a bit damp) and definitely didn’t kill the terrain like the 8” MBS wheels but that was to be expected.

Anyway, I went back onto the paved tracks, heading up a relatively steepish gradient and it powered through fine although at the crest of the hill I felt a bump - did I run over a rock?  Proceeded to head down the hill which is probably, oh a 5-600m long narrow bitumen track.  At the usual point where I apply braking, there was no response. I was doing around 30km/h, too fast to jump off.  No helmet, padding either, just boardies and a t-shirt.

The flywheel was stripped. Fuck. No brakes.

So I began going faster and I’m only 1/3 of the way down this hill.  The track is too narrow to carve and bleed off any speed. There are lycra-clad warriors in front of me that I’m overtaking with pure “holy-fuck-ism” on my face. By the time I hit the halfway mark there is still no “bail spot” anywhere - brick wall to my right, nuclear wasteland rocks and shit to my left.  So I bunker down and think I have to just ride it out. As I get to the bottom, there is a wooden bridge which has seen better days.  I have no idea of my speed at this point but even the double-trucks on the Evolve are starting to wobble.

When I hit the wooden slats on the bridge, the slippy wheels fly across as if I’m aqua-planing - it’s hard to describe but it felt like I was walking on water, or something.  Anyway after the bridge, the hill starts going back up and I finally slowed to a stop.

Had to sit down for a bit after that.  Headed home and took the fucking wheels off.

Holy shit! That sounds epic. I was reading that with my jaw to the keyboard haha.

So what are you going to do with your flywheel now?

It’s in the bin!

hahah! holy crap I can only imagine!
that’s an awesome story!  Props for riding it out! more often than not that’s the best option.

on a slightly different note, how good does the new evolve board look??
(picture stolen) word on the streets is that its got the balls to play with the big boys…

The new GT looks fucking sick although I am a little pissed off that it’s getting released only a couple of months after buying the Carbon - but that’s how things go I guess.

The specs seem pretty impressive, I’ll be interested to see the price. Against all common sense (and my wife’s warning) I’m going to look at selling mine and getting the new model…

I have gotta say, evolve was one of the reasons I got into building electric boards (because I couldn’t afford one)
and its good to see that they have finally moved away from that massive DC clunker motor to a pair of light weight brushless outrunners.
maybe in 2 more years time they might be on hub motors wink