The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Board length?

Hey guys,

I am 6’6”, 85-90kg and a size 11 boot. I currently have a 157 K2 Fastplant and would consider myself an all mountain freestyle rider who thoroughly enjoys days in the park. I’ve ridden seasons in Thredbo and Queenstown so I am accustomed to not really having any powder and it being a bit more icy.

I am heading to Japan for 3 weeks at the end of the year to get some Japow and so I am looking for a new board. I am trying to work out what size I should be riding. I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to a 160 or 162. I will be riding groomers with some powder runs, and also want to be able to jib out of little cut outs for spins etc. I’m unsure of what is over there, but if jumps are there I will likely be hitting those up also.

If I go for a rocker board in 160, will I stuggle to ride the Japow with my height? Ideally if I can get a nice board I will have an awesome all mountain freestyle board that I can ride back here in Australia, as I am not 100% sure I’d love to ride a 162 here since it is so much longer than what I am used to.

What are your thoughts guys?

I think with a full rocker profile you should be fine on a 160 in Japan. Remember, you can always set your stance back an inch or two for more float if you need. Considering that you don’t want to ride a 162 in Australia, a 160 seems like the better decision.

Also, board size has very little to do with your height. Weight is by far the most important consideration (and boot size). Make sure the board is also wide enough to accommodate your boots; this extra width will also add to the float capabilities of your snowboard (increased surface area = more float).

rider26 - 23 June 2014 02:08 PM

I think with a full rocker profile you should be fine on a 160 in Japan. Remember, you can always set your stance back an inch or two for more float if you need. Also considering that you don’t want to ride a 162 in Australia, a 160 seems like the better decision.

Thanks for the reply Jez. I have stumbled across the Arbor Coda and have fallen in love. I think its the perfect board for me! I will shoot you a message later regarding it.

I have only ever ridden the 157 Fastplant, its been my only board for two seasons so I am not 100% sure how the longer boards will feel. That is the main reason I am hesitant to try the 162. I shouldn’t struggle by only having a 160 in Japow do you think?

any time you make a big jump in size like that it’s definitely going to feel weird to start with, but you may end up finding it better after the initial shock to the system

rider26 - 23 June 2014 02:08 PM

Also, board size has very little to do with your height. Weight is by far the most important consideration (and boot size). Make sure the board is also wide enough to accommodate your boots; this extra width will also add to the float capabilities of your snowboard (increased surface area = more float).

The Coda has a 253mm waist width which I believe is fine for size 11 boots? Correct me if I am wrong smile!

Yep, that’s about exactly what you want to aim for. I think 252-255mm waist would be ideal for size 11 boots (depending on the actual boot model and your stance).

Awesome, thanks for the replies fellas.