The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

HEXO+ is the world’s first autonomous aerial camera

HEXO+ is an intelligent drone that follows and films you autonomously. Aerial filming for everyone.

Click here for their Kickstarter campaign. Let us know what you think.

We initially began thinking about HEXO+ because we needed a solution that would make aerial filming possible in the most remote places: on mountains, in the snow, and in all sorts of unpredictable situations that were quite a pain to deal with when trying to sync a drone pilot, a cameraman and a rider.

When we started toying with the idea, we realized that it had the potential to change the face of all kinds of aerial filming, making it dead simple. So we combined our expertise in action-sports movie-making, drone design and aeronautic software to create a drone capable of autonomously flying, filming and following, giving you access to amazing aerial shots with the bare minimum: a drone, a camera and an app on your smartphone.

HEXO+ is just that – an intelligent aerial follow camera: no pilot, no cameraman, no headache.

Backed by…

It will be interesting to see how the 2015 laws on drones, licensing and filming handle this type of tech…

Do you have more info on the new laws?

Super interested in this. Tech is coming such a long way and allowing amateur filmies to get very decent shots for a fraction of the cost in the past..  thumbsup thumbsup

can you imagine the airspace problems in perisher once this tech becomes cheaper?

At the moment, in it’s simplest form; you can’t fly in a public space or in the vicinity of any people.
For commercial use you need to have a CASA UAV/drone Operators Certificate.

Mr.h0z had been looking at something similar called the airdog that’s also a kick starter . Both look awesome!  But as Spaz just said (and I told mr.h0z when he showed me) that I doubt perisher would let you ride through the park etc. With it following you..  would be awesome footage though!

spaz - 17 June 2014 07:09 AM

At the moment, in it’s simplest form; you can’t fly in a public space or in the vicinity of any people.
For commercial use you need to have a CASA UAV/drone Operators Certificate.

I hear it’s an expensive course and hard to obtain the license it’s similar test to small aircraft pilots. You know any more Spaz?

It’s a cool idea but the issue has always been battery power on these units. Low time and extra battery charging needed all the time.

Last time I looked into licensing it cost something like $5000 - most of that is taken up in CASA fees and there are annual renewal costs.
I think there was talk of introducing a different licensing through RC clubs but they would have to conform to CASA regulations. CASA and RC Clubs already work with each other in regard to UAV as the flying portion must be done through a club.
I hope CASA create a whole new guideline for UAV Operators. One thats more accessible and less like a pilots license.

At the end of this year I’m seriously considering getting UAV Operators Cert. All the knowledge part is Private Light Aircraft pilot licensing.
If you went from a UAV Operator Cert to Light Aircraft you don’t need to redo the knowledge section - just the flying hours.
We might just find that many UAV operators are actually light aircraft pilots moonlighting as UAV operators since it works the other way.

In addition to the above; to do commercial filming in a National Park you need to fill out and pay the appropriate fees through NPWS and have public liability insurance.

To do aerial photography for real estate is wrought with issues and thats the only place (apart from the film industry) that I could see being a UAV pilot profitable.
CASA won’t even let the fire brigade use them as a spotter and only in rare circumstance can the police or ambulance use them (even in the USA).

I was going to work with a ski resort and attempt to set up a flying fox style camera system for the park.
There are other options for getting self shot follow cam style of footage and some are pretty simple.
(There’s no way in hell I would mention them online though - I’ve learned my lesson over the years)

Oh yeah, I’ve been entertaining the idea of building an autonomous UAV that follows it’s user for 2.5years but I don’t really think it’s the best option for the general user, it’s a great and simple concept but too much red tape and usability problems.

yeah these guys did state that they wanted this tech for when they were out in the middle of nowhere, not doing park laps!

For sure, there are a lot of practical uses for this without having to use it in a public area. I think it’s a really awesome idea. I am looking forward to hearing some honest feedback when it hits the market.

Could be an expensive piece of kit to carry back country that only gives 15min flight.
You could take extra batteries, which is extra weight to transport (that would need to be kept warm).

Hey! You could dedicate a posse to carry (and keep warm) the gear, who will to take it easy so the drone doesn’t get damaged. IE; a crew - likely meaning it’s a commercial venture. In turn meaning complying with regulations and still would require licensing. But of course who is going to police such actions bc.
In that case what’s the purpose of it being autonomous? The crew could operate a current camera carrying drone.

Not that I don’t like the concept!!! It’s something I’ve dreamed of for a long time. There are plenty of uses for it, and plenty of regulations opposing it.

BTW
Renault Kwid has an autonomous drone that deploys from a car.
i believe it’s a concept car though.

tracvks - 16 June 2014 06:30 PM

Super interested in this. Tech is coming such a long way and allowing amateur filmies to get very decent shots for a fraction of the cost in the past..  thumbsup thumbsup

Yeah right! This is super awesome…Anyway, can anyone have this app? Or exclusively for iMac users?

They reference “Smart Phone” so I think it doesnt exclude none mac users