The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

New features for Boardworld and the forums

Hey guys,

We are very close to starting a big chunk of development work on the Boardworld. This will include fixing many bugs, i.e., the error messages that have kept popping up, and a whole list of other bugs you have pointed out over the months.

We will also be attempting to build several new features that have been requested. The main ones being an image upload feature for the forums and mobile, a site search, a forum “liking” functionality, a member blogging platform, improvement of member profile pages and usability, better social media integration with the forums, and more.

I want to open this thread to serious ideas for new features on the website and specifically the forums. We don’t mind how crazy the ideas are. If they are good, we will investigate them. At this point in time, we are only interested in brand new features that don’t already exist.

Please have a think about it and let us know what you would like to see on here.

Thanks in advance,

BW Team.

Not sure how easy/doable this even is, but a boardworld iphone app would be killer!

We are already looking into the app. At the very least we will be improving functionality and usability of the current mobile site.

Specifically, what features would you want in the app?

Just a small thing, when you click on IMAGE, have the cursor appear in between the [img] tags instead of here at the end. Thanks

The ability to “page” people.

So you can tag people in a post. This feature can usually be defined by the user. Either you get an email (the same way you get one with PM’s) or maybe just a notification when you log in.

People don’t read every thread and don’t realise that someone has asked advice (for example).

There are so many times I have PM’d a member a link to a thread that I have thought they were interested in or that I think they could offer advice to a member.

Azz, we will look into that. Do you ever highlight the link, then hit the IMAGE button? That’s usually how I do it. I think if we did it your way it could cause further issues, for example, sometimes I add multiple [img] tags in one go, then add the URLs in. We are looking into a similar issue that’s been bothering me and I’m sure others: when using the [youtube] button or others, the code goes at the end of the content, rather than at the cursor. Anyway, it’s added to the list and we will look into it. Thanks mate.

Good idea, Kim. We will definitely look into that one as well. Thank you.

ozgirl - 12 May 2014 03:19 PM

The ability to “page” people.

So you can tag people in a post. This feature can usually be defined by the user. Either you get an email (the same way you get one with PM’s) or maybe just a notification when you log in.

People don’t read every thread and don’t realise that someone has asked advice (for example).

There are so many times I have PM’d a member a link to a thread that I have thought they were interested in or that I think they could offer advice to a member.

This is a great idea!

A user tagging function… @surferguy56 @rider26 etc etc smile

surferguy56 - 12 May 2014 05:56 PM

A user tagging function… @surferguy56 @rider26 etc etc smile

Dammit! I should actually read posts before posting.. Hahah!!

rider26 - 12 May 2014 03:37 PM

Azz, we will look into that. Do you ever highlight the link, then hit the IMAGE button? That’s usually how I do it. I think if we did it your way it could cause further issues, for example, sometimes I add multiple [img] tags in one go, then add the URLs in. We are looking into a similar issue that’s been bothering me and I’m sure others: when using the [youtube] button or others, the code goes at the end of the content, rather than at the cursor. Anyway, it’s added to the list and we will look into it. Thanks mate.

Good idea, Kim. We will definitely look into that one as well. Thank you.

Yeah if I am just whacking an image up I do it like that, but if I have put a bit of text in then decide to add an image, when I paste it gets me every time. Another forum I use has them between and I love it.

Basically for putting an image up;

copy image source,

CTRL V
CTRL A
Click on image
and hit post comment.

I just need to relearn my work flow.

I like the old mIRC feature of slapping someone around with a large trout.

Could work well with the tagging:

@rider26 slaps @surferguy56 around with a large trout.

LOL

If there are Trout involved, I am there. Love trying to catch Trouts. shaka

rider26 - 12 May 2014 06:05 PM

I like the old mIRC feature of slapping someone around with a large trout.

Could work well with the tagging:

@rider26 slaps @surferguy56 around with a large trout.

LOL

@surferguy56 slaps @rider26 with his backhand #notrouthere #nojez LOL

Don’t know if it’s one of the bugs already being squashed and hate to mention it again but I’m still having conversations with friends who no longer browse boardworld as their work computers are running older versions of IE. I still reckon a whole bunch of potential members would be giving up after just one attempt at loading the site which is a real pity.

On another note looking forward to the updates/improvements I agree a @user notification system would be useful.  thumbsup

Yeh my work has mega old IE so I know that feeling!

Would it possible to have a button near the page numbers under the title of the thread that takes you to the first unread post in the thread? If one exists currently I haven’t been able to find it! I’ve seen it on other forums and it’s awesome.

Yep my current work and last one (so two places this year) have had old IE and so I can’t get on BW during work hours (and doing the odd message on my phone means I have hit my bloody data limit this month mad) is why my post count has gone down significantly.

Air - if you click on the time it takes you to the most recent post in the thread - but not your last read page/post.