The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Favorite Old School Pros

I’m probably one of the few who doesn’t like Jussi. Can’t really point out why.

One of the loosest, smoothest and buttery styles ever. And he was one of the only guys back then who was throwing all his tricks switch.

Andrew Hardingham!!!!!

While not that old, and not bustin out quadriple mcchicken roast beefs, I love his fun attitude towards ridin, and that really shows in his style!!!!!

* I also get the feelin that he’s Mr Radpants’s's Bizzaro Doplelganger?????

@rider26: I think why I don’t really like him is because all he does is cheese wedges (for the most part), no real freeriding, and his wide boxy stance. Just not a fan of his style for some reason haha.

@Mizu; Ya, Hardingham is one crazy dude.

No one here is a fan of Salasnek? I think he’s the only rider that started out with like skate-style freestyle then move on to riding AK (superspine segment in one of the TB movies). In my mind it’s equivalent to Scott Stevens or Louif Paradis going to AK and riding spines.

Really? Jussi kills it in the backcountry.

*Watch from 1:15

Add Mike Basich to my list. thumbsup

@rider26: Ya he killed it in the backcountry, I agree. But he doesn’t do freeriding like Jake, Nico, Travis, Terje. You know what I mean, natural terrain freestyle. Doing a line, doing tricks in the middle of it. He even said it in an interview if I remember correctly(can’t remember which mag), he doesn’t like doing big AK lines. Like 95% of his clips in the videos above are just jumps, with a few pillows here and there. It’s sick for sure but to me personally watching guys hit cheese wedges (both in the backcountry and park) is one of the most boring things to watch in snowboard movies (street rails are the worst imo), even if Travis Rice is doing it, and you know how much I love Travis haha.

Wow, you think street rails are the worst parts of movies.. Would have to heavily disagree with you there, if anything they are the most creative part of modern snowboarding. You have to start from almost scratch, find a spot, imagine a trick and then execute and majority are different features, not to mention run ins, axis and ride outs. Urban riding is sick imo

skip11 - 28 March 2014 05:11 PM

@rider26: Ya he killed it in the backcountry, I agree. But he doesn’t do freeriding like Jake, Nico, Travis, Terje. You know what I mean, natural terrain freestyle. Doing a line, doing tricks in the middle of it. He even said it in an interview if I remember correctly(can’t remember which mag), he doesn’t like doing big AK lines. Like 95% of his clips in the videos above are just jumps, with a few pillows here and there. It’s sick for sure but to me personally watching guys hit cheese wedges (both in the backcountry and park) is one of the most boring things to watch in snowboard movies (street rails are the worst imo), even if Travis Rice is doing it, and you know how much I love Travis haha.

All good, Rico! That’s what’s cool about snowboarding. There are so many different ways to interpret it. I hear what you’re saying. Personally, I’ve just always loved Jussi’s smooth, buttery style.

@rider26: Hahah ya, different people like different things. But I do agree with you the stuff he does is sick, just not what I like to watch. I think he’s one of the few older pros who’s doing double corks in the backcountry (he’s mid 30s right?)?

@tracksv: I couldn’t care less if it’s a street part, maybe I’ll watch a 1-2 minute part of a real snow x-games competition but if I’m watching a whole movie I usually skip the whole damn thing haha (maybe if it’s Scott Stevens I’ll watch). I have argued about this with Andy but to ME street rails are not snowboarding. I want to watch a rider go down a mountain, make some turns, and do tricks in the middle of it and if for some reason there is a rail there then it’s fine. But getting towed up and pulled by a bungee cord hit a rail, walk back up, and repeat is just so boring to me. I’m sure you disagree with me on this. But I do enjoy watching Scott Stevens ride and the Yawgoons.

Taking what Rider said onboard, its for everyone to interpret in their own way.. smile

Totally forgot about MFM. Probably the best style in snowboarding in my opinion.

Absolutely love MFM. Always been such a huge fan and I was so stoked when I got to hang out with him for a night in Sydney. Such a legend and an incredible person.

agree with all the above like Terje, MFM, Benedek etc.

Have to add Hampus Mosesson and Jakob Wilhelmsson to the list. All their bits in vids make the riding look so damn fun!

Cant believe no one has mentioned Bryan Iguchi!

I did. Shame on you for not noticing Brad angry

My top 3 would be

- Terje
- Craig
- Roach/Guch tied