The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Review: F-Stop Loka

F-Stop Loka Review

My first camera bag for snowboarding was a Burton, then a few years later, I got a Dakine Sequence. However, it wasn’t until I got an F-Stop Loka that I felt like I could snowboard normally with a camera pack on. With the Burton and the Dakine, the packs weren’t bad, but they rode loose, and I would end up riding like my mom. “I’m carrying my camera and I have to be careful”, was my excuse. The swing weight was quite noticeable on every turn.

Enter the Loka. The bag is supported by an internal frame which keeps things solid and stops the sloshing around you get from unsupported bags. I could now ride and have fun, while carrying my camera gear. I had been happy with my Dakine, but ask me now and I would never go back. The difference is like night and day.

So what makes the Loka such a good pack?
I think, in a word, I’d have to say “quality”. From the materials used, to the entire bag layout, you can tell this wasn’t designed by a cubicle jockey, rather, by someone who actually snowboards, hikes, rides and shoots professionally. The Loka isn’t made to supplement sales from a market demographic - it’s made to be used and abused (to get the shots).
Hang on, I’m getting carried away. This is starting to sound like ad copy. I should send an invoice to F-Stop.

Ok, let’s get to the review.

I’ve had my Loka for three and a half years and it still looks new. Granted, I’m not abusing it but I’m using it every weekend for snowboarding in the winter, and for hiking or going abroad in the summer. I’d call myself an average user. Anyways, my point is, this material is burly.
The zippers are tough and provide a well-thought-out access to the inside of the pack. The straps are supportive yet comfortable. I can carry heavy loads and not really feel it thanks to said straps, and the waist belt (I just feel it in my legs halfway through the day LOL )
I love how it is both a top loader and back loader. That is, you can access the inside by either the top or the back panel. It is easy to grab a water bottle/food or an extra layer from the top opening. Camera gear access is from the back panel. Oh and it’s hydration-compatible if you want to run a hydration tube setup.
It’s got all the right straps on the outside for snowboard/tripod/whatever carry, and can handle A-framing for splitboards and skis.
It’s a 37 liter bag, and for me that is the perfect size for an average day of shooting off the mountain. On the mountain, on an easy day I can cinch the compression straps down tight and make it smaller. On a big backcountry day, I can stuff it full of gear and everything fits snugly.
I would only need a bigger bag if I was overnighting, or doing a shoot which required my entire flash kit.
The only negative I can think of is the lack of a snow tools/wet pocket for a shovel, probe and skins. The probe and shovel handle have to be slid in the sides of the pack just outside the ICU. The shovel head slides into the non-padded laptop sleeve, and skins just go in the main section. However, if you don’t ride in the backcountry, it shouldn’t be an issue.
Here you can see me with the Loka on a family holiday on the French Riviera. It doesn’t scream “CAMERA BACKPACK!!!” nor is it bulky. It’s quite easy to cinch it down to fit whatever you’re carrying and keep the lowest profile possible. It’s especially good for traveling, as it fits in the overhead bin on an airplane.

I can safely say this is the best pack I have ever used. I use it even when I’m not carrying a camera. I just slide out the ICU (padded camera block) and then it’s just a regular backpack (albeit a super high quality one).

Highly recommended. thumbsup

Continued below…

Here are some photos of the pack with different ICU configurations. I borrowed a large shallow, a medium slope and a micro ICU for these photos. The small pro ICU is mine from a few years ago so it doesn’t have the ripstop design like the newer ones. All ICU’s have velcro tabs which attach to the inside of all F-Stop backpacks to make sure they are solidly installed.

From left to right: micro, large shallow, medium slope, small pro

Side view (From left to right: micro, large shallow, medium slope, small pro)

Micro ICU
The micro ICU is designed for micro 4/3 or smaller mirrorless cameras. I found it fit my Nikon V2 perfectly! Well, I still have loads of space left, but it’s nice to be able to maximize the rest of the space in the Loka.

Shallow ICU - Large

I fit the following in it:
Nikon D200 with 70-200 F2.8
10.5 F2.8
35 F2
50 F1.4
85 F1.8
TC-14E 1.4x teleconverter
Tokina 12-24 F4
Nikon SB-28 Flash
2x pocket wizards
Grid for the flash
2x camera batteries
I was seriously running out of gear to fit into this!

Pro ICU - medium slope
The lids on the new ICU’s have pads that can be removed if you want to fold the lid under the ICU in the pack for easy access. I leave mine on as it gives me another layer of cover when it’s snowing and I’m trying to avoid getting snow in the ICU.

With the ICU lid open:

Nikon D200 with grip with Tokina 12-24
70-200

Here’s the small pro ICU. I’ve been using this one the most lately as I’m trying to stay light, to enjoy riding more!

Nikon D200 with grip
Tokina 12-24
Nikon 70-200
(you could fit more in if you didn’t have a grip, and of course, left the 70-200 out)

Plus there’s a new light weight Loka coming out soon. It’s called the Loka UL. Follow their instagram (instagram/fstopgear) or facebook page to get the latest news on this upcoming release.

PS. You know what? I took all these photos and then went to the F-Stop site to check the facts, and found that they’ve got everything explained there.
Like this video: