The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

EST Binding Issue

SO, EST bindings. First time I’ve had them, the idea is cool, adjust ability is cool. But that little dial thing is THE WORST!!!

WTF? I can move my bindings to the same spot twice and the dial will say a difference of 10 degrees! That’s awful!
I have no idea what my angles truly are any more because the little white thing that drops into the channel can just float around in there. It even moves after it’s bolted down.
I’ll set it to 15 degrees and look at it again after riding it and it will have moved to 25 degrees!

Anyway, I’m wondering if you guys have a method of getting a true reading from them? Do you move the pin with your finger to make it sit in the middle of the bubble?? Or something different perhaps?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Andy Aitken - 14 February 2014 11:44 AM

Anyway, I’m wondering if you guys have a method of getting a true reading from them? Do you move the pin with your finger to make it sit in the middle of the bubble?? Or something different perhaps?

Have to get our your protractor, ruler and work on your trigonometry

Hope that was helpful

LOL Teacherboy!!!!!

I used a square and protractor, got it set, drew on the board, took the rubber bit out, threw it to the shit house and put the bindings back on. I ride standing straight on the board. smile

Personally I am not a fan of the EST system. When I tried it, it felt dead under foot and didn’t trust the angles.

In the Burton range I liked the Reflex bindings and the traditional mounting system. Has the flex you need as well as the angles you can trust.

I never take any notice of the dial thing. Whenever I change setups I always spend about the first half a day or so ‘tuning’ my stance. By this I mean; setting my stance to what I think looks right, then going for short runs, changing things a bit, and testing it again. I keep doing this until it feels just right.

Once I’ve got it right I trace the outline of the bindings on to the board with a permanent fineliner or whiteout pen (there are more subtle ways to do this - use your imagination). This is also a good indicator to check if your bindings have slipped during riding, which happens to my EST binding every so often if I ever forget to do a pre-ride tighten.

C J Parker - 14 February 2014 09:14 PM

Personally I am not a fan of the EST system. When I tried it, it felt dead under foot and didn’t trust the angles.

In the Burton range I liked the Reflex bindings and the traditional mounting system. Has the flex you need as well as the angles you can trust.

Yeah, I’ve always like burton boots and bindings, but I’ve never had a burton board before so I’ve never had est bindings, only the normal burton bindings.
But this year I went a bit longer than I usually ride and burton are the only brand that make twins that big.
I don’t mind the feel of EST at all, I think it’s pretty good. Just having a dial that doesn’t work kinda sucks.