The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Deck size recommendation for a very tall beginner

Hi everyone,

Have decided to learn to skate and am looking for info/recommendations for by first set-up.
My first concern is that I’m very tall (6’6” / 198cm) and a short deck will have my feet quite close together (relatively speaking). I’m also a size 13 shoe. I’m guessing at 8”+ x 32”+ would be where to start?

What would everyone suggest would be a good set-up for learning? Am happy to look at either a complete, or assembling one myself.

Primary purpose is for transport while I get comfortable with being on small wheels, but looking to progress to tricks / park in the future (although happy for that to be my second board if required).

Cheers.

Hey papercliphand,

Welcome aboard.

In terms of a board for your height and foot size, don’t be afraid to even look at the 8.25-8.5 size range. A longer wheelbase will also helps you heaps mate. If you are looking at a premade complete the BW Store has this at the moment which is great value.

https://www.boardworld.com.au/alien-workshop-alpha-grant-taylor-8-375-complete-skateboard-red-black

The only thing you might want to change is the wheels for some slightly bigger or softer wheels to roller more. Other than that let us know what you think about that board and we can expand out from there.

PaperClip,
I hear you brother. I’m 6"5 and have size 13 feet also.

I can tell you that even a 8.5 will still feel extremely narrow for you, and your shoes will be half off the board.
I started on an 8.5 x 33, moved to a 9.125 x 36 and I’m planning on getting a 10 x 33 in the future.

Going up to the 9.125 made it actually feel like skating on more than a kids toy for me and made a big difference for me. However the 36 length was overdoing it a bit. It helped in the beginning, but I realised the nose was too far away for ollies, kickflips etc.

The 10 x 33 I intend to get, I can’t say yet because I’m yet to try it.
But I can tell you that a 9 x 33 will be a good fit for you. Only certain companies make them, like Creature, Anti-Hero and Gravity.

Thanks CJ and Andy

Went into my local board store (Twelve) and they had very similar comments. Went straight for a 8.5 deck which was the widest they had.
Also suggested bigger wheels for street use too.

Custom setup is looking expensive tho. $240 for the board then $160 for helmet, knee and wrist guards.

PS. Not saying the 240 is a rip off. We picked some quality components and I can see the value in it…

$240 isn’t very expensive for Aus retail… if that makes you feel any better LOL Buy a skateboard, you’ll never look back

Yep, you could spend 240 on a new watch and be happy for a day, or buy a board and change your life.

Andy Aitken - 07 February 2014 04:21 PM

PaperClip,
The 10 x 33 I intend to get, I can’t say yet because I’m yet to try it.

GEEZUS, that thing must be like a barge!!
But for hooves your size it sounds like a good thing

Yeah, 2 years ago the 9.125 was the largest (popsicle shape) deck on the market.
The markets changing pretty quickly now, there are way more 9” deck and I got so excited when I saw the 10” for the first time haha.

*Side note* I predict this post is going to get used against me   shut eye

PaperclipHand - 07 February 2014 05:33 PM

Thanks CJ and Andy

Went into my local board store (Twelve) and they had very similar comments. Went straight for a 8.5 deck which was the widest they had.
Also suggested bigger wheels for street use too.

Custom setup is looking expensive tho. $240 for the board then $160 for helmet, knee and wrist guards.

PS. Not saying the 240 is a rip off. We picked some quality components and I can see the value in it…

No worries mate that’s what we are here for. Good trucks are always worth the money cause they will make a huge difference in the long run. How come you are going for helmet and knee pads as well? Are you planning on doing park and the likes?

Looking for helmet etc cause I’m planning in stalling off smile

Parks etc are a fair way in the future.

I like the analogy of the watch tho. Helps put things into perspective.

Had to do a fair bit of walking yesterday (dropped the car off for service, then had to walk 20 mins to the train station). Kept thinking… If only I’d bought that board this would be so much more fun…

Off shopping this weekend.

Post what you get papercliphand and welcome aboard and to the shred.

Thanks everyone again - took me a little longer that I thought, but finding a deck that wide with the set-up I wanted was a little harder that I thought.

Good news though: got delivery today and I have my first board:

Element 8.5” deck with Element Grip
Raw 149mm trucks
Element 58mm 85A wheels
Manton ABEC 9 bearings
risers etc

Spent 5 minutes just standing on it, doing some tic tacs and just rolling round the lounge room and it feels really nice. Think I need to tighten the trucks a little though; seems very easy to get deck-wobble even when I’m standing still.

Long weekend coming up - time to see if I can progress a bit.

Stoked for ya mate! Let us know how it goes after the first skate outside

Nice one mate, well done stoked for you mate.

If you still have problems with the trucks being loose after you have tightened them up, you may need to get different bushings. Let us know how you get on.

Spent a little while on the board yesterday - had some spectacular spills from leaning backwards and having the board shoot out from under my feet. ouch!
Have ordered some wrist guards and will try again in a day or so when they arrive smile

The classic lean back stack.

One thing with taking a spill skating and this comes with experience, is taking the slam with your arms not your hands. Huge difference with the pain.

I am in the market though for wrist guards as well though for different reasons. The ones I am after is the S-One damage control but getting them in the UK is proving difficult.