The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

bs smiths on RAILS problem? help

bs smiths are a trick ive been trying to do on rails for a long time now and I still am not able to grasp it soooooo I thought someone could help me out. I can do them on ledges but I just cant seem to do them on rails. my main problem is when I come up and approach the rail I struggle to get that Ollie to locking in to the smith part every time ill just slip strait into a lipslide or fumble and fall of my board. I really do not know much about the grinding or leaving the rail part because ive never really goten to that stage of the trick yet. but can someone please help me get locked into bs smiths please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!help

Sounds like you need to put a bit more weight over your toes when on the rail to keep it from poping over. More weight on back foot in general, but point the front foot down more at the same time. Make sense?

Coming out, really just pop out like an ollie. If your weight is hovering over the back truck it should be natural to lift the front up and ollie out.

Disclaimer: I cannot do this trick. Though one of my best mates, Jez Corea has one of the best BS smiths going round. I see him do them on everything, all the time so have had lots of time to study his. And the two things i see him do is have his weight right over the back truck whilst pointing the front down low. The front foot also is closer to the middle of the board, not right over the bolts or near the nose.

Is the rail round or flat?
also how tight or loose do you ride your trucks?

kinda both, but ive been trying it on a skinny flatbar like a round rail. but yet I just slip into bs lip

and semi lose trucks

I ve been trying what you said and im still struggleing do u or anyone else have some more advice. ive been trying this trick for 1 month today

Eamon Murphy - 09 February 2014 09:26 PM

I ve been trying what you said and im still struggleing do u or anyone else have some more advice. ive been trying this trick for 1 month today

I’ll see if I can shoot an email to some of our more experienced skaters/coaches

Just remember mate, some tricks are not going to come straight away. Mite take ages but then it mite just click.

Some great skaters still struggle with certain tricks. Some tricks just dont work for some people.

So dont get too put out by it, but keep sluggin away too! Dont give up shaka

It’s just a quick tip, but lots of people tend to try and lock into the trick side-on, at a similar angle to a backlip. Try going more front-on (think about a front smith, which is also usually pretty front-on) with your head facing more in front of you rather than to the side.

Back smiths are definitely a difficult trick, probably the most difficult of the “basic” ledge tricks. Just keep going at it. Like everyone you’ll learn from your mistakes and eventually figure it out. Everyone does it differently.

hey mate!
back smiths are a trick I’ve been doing for a while now, one of my favorite tricks!

always different from ledge to rail.
with the ledge you can’t stand directly on top of the grind as it would usually stick, but when it comes to rails, weather round or square, you are able to put your weight above it as there is now a wheel on each side of the bar. coming from above helps with stopping the lipslide slip out so pop a nice solid ollie and almost lock your legs into the smith position before you get on fully, with more strength over the back foot to hold the grind. also to get off, all you have to do is lift the front foot so the board becomes level, and always keep your feet flat to prevent primo. 
I hope that helps, I have a few videos of back smiths on my youtube channel, they might help you understand it a bit better, good luck!

thank you guys heaps I will try these tips and hints out probable as soon as I get my new setup. I think its also hard for me because my wheels are really small now. my new board will have bone v2 53mm so that should help e a lot
much appreciated baskwith, walker and k2