The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Guide to Ride, Brainstorm. . . .

Hey everyone! Rider26 has come up with an idea to create a guide for riders visiting Whistler and I want to know what it is you would want to know if you were coming here for a season and were new to the area? Also anything you have experienced here that you suggest trying! (keep it clean) So fill in the blanks and let us hear your feed back so we can include it into the guide! Thanks !

Good idea bringing it to the community, shaner.

So basically it’s going to be a video guide to Whistler, covering everything from snow, terrain, village life, working, nightlife, events etc. Think of it as an elaborate ‘spot check’.

Hopefully this will eventually not just be limited to Whistler. So, what would you like to see in a video guide if you were thinking of visiting a new mountain?

The first thing I would want is a roof over my head!!! Maybe check out some of the local hostels and then move on to the local papers for some housing!

What a great idea for a thread!!!

id like a section on : how to avoid Australians! ......just joking…sort of! hahah

Maybe I could do one for the main mountain in Sweden.

OH and clearly I would want to know what kind of budget to show up with!

What the weather is like in the area and what kind of gear is suggested for the area!

CRACKERS - 19 December 2010 06:09 PM

id like a section on : how to avoid Australians! ......just joking…sort of! hahah

“.AU” Crackers “.AU”

My first thought was budget needed. But that could kinda summarise the whole vid. with what different budgets can achieve.

Always wanted to this in Thredbo but other work gets in the way.

It’s a big task to do a guide off all the trails - I have been working towards it and in a single season videoed everywhere in Thredbo - but it’s a small hill!!!! I still haven’t collated all the footage (100’s of hours-and I need forensic data recovery for that harddrive)
Maybe the main trails of where the lifts give you access to.

Bring me over and I’ll lend a hand wink

Kanga-Ruey - 19 December 2010 03:35 AM

The first thing I would want is a roof over my head!!! Maybe check out some of the local hostels and then move on to the local papers for some housing!

Definately the good places to initially stay (once you bus in from Vancouver), then where to look for accom and the differences in the different areas (how to get around) .  This is a great idea!

Kanga-Ruey - 19 December 2010 06:50 PM
CRACKERS - 19 December 2010 06:09 PM

“.AU” Crackers “.AU”

yeh but after a while you get to like all the old bastards on here and just cant leave them behind wink

Sick idea for a thread, sick idea in general.

My idea, break it up into two sections.

A—— About the mountain - what’s around and how good is it?
1) What mountain where? - quicky on exactly where it is
2) Accomadation
3) Food
4) Extra-Cirricular activities
5) Employment
6) Misc (languages spoken, modes of transport, how far from the village is the mountain, singles town or family friendly?)

B——About the Ride
1) How many trails?
2) How much off-piste is there?
3) OBJECTIVELY - What type of snow and how good is it (as an independant website I think we should probably avoid advertising for mountains, just do straight up reviews)
4) Rider Level - Who is it suited to?
5) Gear - General info on what you should be packing for your week/month/season long trip
6) Events - Probably a big one for any die hards/amatuers that want to see some good style or even try their hand at something a little more competitive. What events are being held? Are any big names coming to town?

My big points from this list are probably A1, A4, B3 and B4. It’d be a nice quick and dirty review on what to expect from a mountain, and the more objective it is the better in my opinion.

:D

Thats great!! That’s the stuff we wanna hear! Someone give Brandy a reward! Maybe some goggles or a bandana!

Nice one Mizu. Definitely worth having on the list. Updated version looks like this

A——About the mountain - what’s around and how good is it?
1) What mountain where? - quicky on exactly where it is
2) Accomadation
3) Food
4) Extra-Cirricular activities
5) Employment
6) What month is the best time to be there!!!!! Crowds Vs Snow Conditions Vs Bargain Accom???? (Mizu)
7) Misc (languages spoken, modes of transport, how far from the village is the mountain, singles town or family friendly?)

B——About the Ride
1) How many trails?
2) How much off-piste is there?
3) OBJECTIVELY - What type of snow and how good is it (as an independant website I think we should probably avoid advertising for mountains, just do straight up reviews)
4) Rider Level - Who is it suited to?
5) Gear - General info on what you should be packing for your week/month/season long trip
6) Events - Probably a big one for any die hards/amatuers that want to see some good style or even try their hand at something a little more competitive. What events are being held? Are any big names coming to town?

PS Thanks Shaner! Glad to hear someone appreciates me being around! raspberry