The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Ask an Instructor!

Yep, as aidy and oz have said, get a group lesson..

Mr.h0z and 2 other mates did a group lesson with me (advanced lesson) and another guy was in it with us, who we ended up boarding with the rest of the day and the next day too…  (even the instructor had lunch with us after - we were his last lesson for the day, then he took us to Guthega with him after..  )

In the 2 hours (which cost us $50 each). I successfully learnt 180s, 270s, attempted a few 360s but couldnt quite get there, learnt to butter (that was my aim for the lesson) improved my ollies and nollies.and actually had an awesome time as we had people to have fun and laugh with while trying new things!

What sort of things are you looking to learn? Because myself and a few others are keen for another lesson..  So if you wanted to do one with us (if we want to learn similar things) I’m sure the others in my group would be more than happy and it works out waaaaay cheaper!

Mudhoney - 02 June 2014 12:01 PM

I used to think skiing was more versatile but I realise now that skiing is only more versatile on mobility around the mountain.  Snowboarding is more versatile on the thing that counts - having fun.

Bingo! You’re right on the money there.

It’s been my argument for ages for the (very few) Ski Instructors out there that call us “Knuckle Draggers”.
Because the ski instructing system is so much older, it’s going to be so much harder for them to make changes to it.

DID YOU KNOW:
In both the Canadian and Australian ski instructing systems (and every other one I’m aware of) does not have any freestyle skiing or teaching in ANY of their levels?!
This means that a ski instructor can proudly wear the Level 4 pin and not even have to be able to do so much as a 180 or even a grab!
I realise that back in the day, freestyle was a specialized thing for skiers. But these days the Park and Pipe events in the Olympics are what just caused this huge boom in the ski industry. And they don’t even have a single trick in their levels.
It’s no wonder a lot of my ski instructor buddies (who are amazing shredders btw) don’t bother going past level 1. When I ask them why, they just say “Why bother”. I don’t blame them when their system is so resistant to change.
And they call us Knuckle Draggers?

Andy Aitken - 02 June 2014 05:59 PM
Mudhoney - 02 June 2014 12:01 PM

I used to think skiing was more versatile but I realise now that skiing is only more versatile on mobility around the mountain.  Snowboarding is more versatile on the thing that counts - having fun.

Bingo! You’re right on the money there.

It’s been my argument for ages for the (very few) Ski Instructors out there that call us “Knuckle Draggers”.
Because the ski instructing system is so much older, it’s going to be so much harder for them to make changes to it.

DID YOU KNOW:
In both the Canadian and Australian ski instructing systems (and every other one I’m aware of) does not have any freestyle skiing or teaching in ANY of their levels?!
This means that a ski instructor can proudly wear the Level 4 pin and not even have to be able to do so much as a 180 or even a grab!
I realise that back in the day, freestyle was a specialized thing for skiers. But these days the Park and Pipe events in the Olympics are what just caused this huge boom in the ski industry. And they don’t even have a single trick in their levels.
It’s no wonder a lot of my ski instructor buddies (who are amazing shredders btw) don’t bother going past level 1. When I ask them why, they just say “Why bother”. I don’t blame them when their system is so resistant to change.
And they call us Knuckle Draggers?

Very true.  One of my biggest fears when teaching skiing lessons to teenagers that were pretty handy was that they might ask to do some freestyle.  I can piss about in the park a little on skis but I’d be found out pretty quickly with a paying client! 

Yeah I only teach intro level park stuff on skis. And I use what I learned in CASI to teach it lol. Which I think is hilarious. But whatever, I ski like a snowboarder, because I am.
The funny thing is I teach more park skiing lessons then a lot of pure ski instructors. It’s kinda weird. So many skiers are scared of it, even really good skiers. It’s like going through the park gates is like jumping out of an air plane for the first time.

Oh and just for the record, so we don’t scare people off.

LESSON COSTS:
Yes, it’s true. You can pay $600 dollars for a full day lesson in Whistler.
BUT PLEASE REMEMBER… It’s Whistler, their are many umm.. let’s say.. guests from south of the border, who have a RIDICULOUS amount of money. These people get an instructor to themselves for a day, have their whole day, lunch, everything planned out by us, and get a tour of the mountain etc. cause that’s how they roll. If you’re loaded, why not.

I don’t recommend that for the average BoardWorldian (maybe some are rich, I don’t know… but certainly not this guy LOL )

Group lessons are awesome and they are cheap!

Private lessons are good, but a full day isn’t necessary achieve your goals.
A one or two hour private lesson is still fairly cheap and some killer progression can happen in that time (and there are discount times of day). Then you can spend the rest of the day practising what you’ve learned and take that knowledge with you to keep progressing in the future too. I’ve done private lessons with a few BWers over the years, and I always tell them an hour or two is plenty. If you’re rich, sure I’ll ride with you all day, but for BW, I want the best value for my homies.

Heaps of info.

Only lesson iv had is my mates saying “meet you at the bottom”

Definitely a confident rider, just want to be shown how to ride properly I guess. Rather then just skidding everywhere. Havnt riden in 4 years now.. So who knows what I’ll be like.
Could definitely be keen on some trick/park stuff to.
Wouldnt need a full day lesson, just an hour or 2 to be shown what I need to change I guess.

Who’s teaching at Perisher this year?

<—This Guy!

And many others lol.

But I think I’m the only one on BoardWorld who works there.

Hello again all! Welcome to a crazy wonderful season start!

I need some help with my riding style!

I’ve got really bad hips (Clinically hip obliquity) that are crooked and weak and affecting my riding! - That aside, I know it’s a habit that some people form ..

My problem is, when I am tired or not paying attention, I feel like my weight is not over my board.. or rather, not centred…
Especially on my heels, I find I am being dragged rather than standing on top of it.

My instructor buddy was saying I am breaking at the top/presenting and riding too straight legged….

Hardest part is I don’t do it all the time but when I do it’s the difference between me stomping every trick in the park or riding like special child….
The fact I don’t do it all the time means I CAN strength this… Just don’t know how??
Any tips?

Have you tried playing around with different stances? This could help you get into a more balanced body position which will allow you to bend your knees with greater ease.

What stance are you rocking currently?

Funny you say this, I moved my stance in on Sunday. I was riding too G for my own good.

Think I am on 12 and 9 or 12 and 7… I can’t remember ...

Moved my back foot in a hole and it’s definitely helped, especially for rotations…. Still just don’t know if I am on the money stance!

Keep playing with it. Find the angles that feel comfortable then focus on stance width. I think stance width might be key for you. I suspect you might have it too narrow. It’s worth playing around with it.

It was too wide and since bringing it in has helped, I am used to skateboarding mosty, so perhaps am searching for my weight similar to it… See how I go again on Friday haaaaaaaaaaaaaaazaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Feels like I have been doing nothing but squats for 2 days straight - Love it.

Stellvadore - 01 July 2014 11:30 AM

Feels like I have been doing nothing but squats for 2 days straight - Love it.

First day on decent jumps yesterday so I am hearing that! Legs are ruined!

It’s the best feeling ever! I love how toned I get in a matter of days…

Eevery ligament in your body hurting? From feet right up to my neck is hurting, even the palms of my hands!

Think I cracked a rib too.. oops