The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Ask an Instructor!

What do you guys find easier spinning?
Frontline or Backside?

Also in the same position on learning 5’s.
Well was last time I was on the mountain… (2010) hopefully pick it back up again quickly..

Also,  probably getting to far ahead of myself.
But tips on leading upto Rodeos?
Watched a few videos and get an understanding of the flip itself, but any tips on making sure I don’t land on my head?

I used to find frontside easier, but I think I prefer backside now. But I actually find cab (switch frontside) the easiest rotation. I love spinning cab 180s, 360s and 540s. For some reason, my body just loves leaving from switch and spinning in the cab direction… there’s a lot of power to it I find.

Backside is the smoothest for me for sure. It’s so easy and nice spinning off a clean toeside edge, where as I find frontside (and cab) is a bit easier to skid and cheat on the takeoff.

Can’t really help with rodeos as I’ve never thrown one myself (I’ve been tempted, might get to it one day). But you definitely want 540s dialed and probably tamedogs and wildcats (or similar flips). Then it’s just a matter of putting those skills together and spinning on a different axis.

This product from Snowboard Addiction will help you with inverts including Rodeos.

Tips to not land on your head… sounds like a good name for a new thread LOL

1. Practice on trampoline first. Start with a foam pit or a crash mat. Then try landing it back on your feet on the tramp (Landing on your head on a tramp might not kill you… but it still sucks).
2. Try it into powder. If you can land it into powder or at least get it around to your feet every time, that’s when it’s safe to move on.
3. Park time. Don’t let anyone tell you which jump to use. People will tell you to use an XL jump on your first time… and if you land on your head? Game over.
Use a jump that you are super comfortable on and will give you enough time to make the rotation. Remember, people can flip on small jumps. But for a rodeo, I would say a medium might be the minimum when learning. I started trying tamedogs on smalls, but didn’t land one until I tried them on mediums.

This isn’t the only way to learn a flip. But it is a safe one.
And if you can dial your 540s, Tamedogs & Back Rolls on snow first, that will be a big plus.

Not too sure about Aussie resorts (I think thredbo may have in the past?) but they some times do a jump with an air bed at the bottom, this would also be good to practise on…

I don’t think iv ever been able to spin frontside smoothly, or been able to get the full rotation around..  Skateboarding or snowboarding.
Havnt tried cab spins snowboarding, but definitely find spinning fakie on a skateboard easier/more comfortable..  Strange.

Inverts..  Everyone keeps saying just make sure you commit.  Easier said then done I guess.
Don’t have a trampoline near by..  Will just have to wait till we get some snow.

Perisher looks like it has quite a good range of jumps, could be a good practising ground.

mattyp - 26 May 2014 08:47 AM

Inverts..  Everyone keeps saying just make sure you commit.  Easier said then done I guess.

I’m always egging my friends on to try BFs. Once peeps get over the whole upside thing and realise how easy they are they open up so many tricks! The only real danger zone (might land on head) is the first 1/4 of the rotation. The only way you won’t make the first 1/4 is if you don’t commit. Not committing is when people change their mind on the up ramp and stay neutral.

There are plenty of off snow ways to get the feel for the rotation of a BFs - swimming pools, tramps, foam pits, sand dunes. Commit people!

Loving this thread, great idea Andy.  Reading about peoples experiences trying backflips reminds me of how scary they always were for me, luckily I had decent machine washable brown snowboard pants.  Rodeos were always a trick I wanted to try but never quite convinced myself that I had the movements sufficiently internalised to reduce the risk.

Andy, I know what you mean about sitting riding exams in Whis when it’s bullet proof.  I remember sitting my level 2 trying to carve on ice and not getting close!  I wasn’t shocked not to be given a shiny pin and badge at the end of that days work.  Still the post course drinks with all the candidates and examiners was a blast! 

On this flipside, I twice had my level 2 riding exams on a 40cm powder day! No joke, both days, 40cm new snow overnight. Try carving in thigh deep powder! LOL

rider26 - 28 May 2014 09:37 AM

On this flipside, I twice had my level 2 riding exams on a 40cm powder day! No joke, both days, 40cm new snow overnight. Try carving in thigh deep powder! LOL

But the question is did you pass? Or are you havin too much find ridin pow and ditching the evaluators haha

No friends (or evaluators) on a pow day! LOL

skip11 - 28 May 2014 12:12 PM
rider26 - 28 May 2014 09:37 AM

But the question is did you pass? Or are you havin too much find ridin pow and ditching the evaluators haha

Didn’t pass the first time which was brutal. I just came back from separating my shoulder (out for 6 weeks) so I was trying to protect my shoulder while the riding powder and taking falls etc. Not only did I miss riding with my friends but I failed.

I passed the second time. That time it was worth missing the powder day. We still did a bunch of freeriding in the morning which was sick.

This was back in early 2006. Feels like so long ago now.

tracvks - 28 May 2014 02:49 PM

No friends (or evaluators) on a pow day! LOL

Lucking they love riding powder too. The mornings were awesome.

It was later when they start evaluating, and everything is chopped up, and you’re expected to carve clean lines on soft moguls.

Yeah, exams in Whistler are brutal.

The conditions change so drastically from day to day, and even from one run to the next. And the level of riding from the instructors and evaluators is (in general) higher than anywhere I’ve ever been.

But that’s also why I’ve always done all my exams there. Because I know the standards are as high as they can be for each level.
I love Whis, will probably end up living there permanently, so I want to be the level that they expect of me.

SO, I’ve been working on strength and fitness in the off season, I’ll train as much as I can in perisher and then head back to Whistler with my sights set hard on passing that last components of my 3’s. The tricky part is trying to train myself to give them something non specific. It’s only the freeriding section of the riding component that I can’t pass. I know I’m improving but it’s really hard to know what they want me to change. The park stuff is way better to train for because you either have the trick or you don’t.

How did you train for the freeriding section for your 3’s Aidy?

How did you know what to change in your riding?

@andy: Did they not tell you why you didn’t pass specifically (e.g. knees/ankles not bent enough, moguls, etc.)?