The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Ask an Instructor!

Great stuff, Andy. Time to kill the riding! Almost there! punch

Congrats Andy!! And good luck with the rest of it (although I’m sure you will be fine!)

Haha thanks guys. We’ll see how I go
smile mmm bananas…

Hey Andy, if this post is still open for questions I’d love to get your theory/tips for stepping up from a 3 to a 5.. I can land bs 3s on a regular basis and have recently stepped it up to trying 5s and have landed a few but not clean and definitely not stylish. What do you see as being the important things for 5s? Cheers!  punch

If we’re talking backside, how are your backside 180s? Are they super solid?

Essentially, you are adding a backside 180 to something you can already do.

My advice, on the same jumps you’re throwing backside 360s, regularly throw backside 180s, and make sure you stomp them real good. Then you’re just adding the pieces together and rotating a bit faster. The backside 180 landing is key, because that’s how you’re coming down from your backside 540.

Have you tried cab 540s? I find them the easiest for sure. It’s basically a cab 180 at the front of your backside 360, same landing and all.

Thanks for the quick reply Jez!

My back 1s are okay but definitely not on the same jumps, I usually save them for little 10-15ft booters. Might be time I step them up a bit smile 

What you’ve said totally makes sense and you’ve definitely got me interested with trying cab 5s! Im beyond excited to get up the mountain and try some stuff metal

All good, mate. Your backside 360s are so nice. I think it’s really just a matter of bringing your backside 180s up to par. Float backside 180s whenever you can, and at speed too. Try to land cleanly on the toeside edge, as this will help you stomp the landing, and ride out smooth and straight—without over-rotating, which is a common problem with backside 180s (land flat base or heel heavy and the rotation continues). Put that toe edge down hard and ride away. Once you get the feel for it, you can try landing with a flat base.

tracvks - 06 May 2014 03:46 PM

Hey Andy, if this post is still open for questions I’d love to get your theory/tips for stepping up from a 3 to a 5.. I can land bs 3s on a regular basis and have recently stepped it up to trying 5s and have landed a few but not clean and definitely not stylish. What do you see as being the important things for 5s? Cheers!  punch

Hey Tracvks,
Rider’s got you covered pretty well there with back 5’s. Cab 5’s are a good idea for one of your first 5s to learn too.
I remember I tried Front 5’s for ages and could never get them properly, then I tried cab 5’s and got them so much quicker. Back 5’s I learned 3rd but they are now my favourite to do on kickers.
Of course, you can learn things in any order you like but Cab 5’s (True Cab 5’s) can be done even on flat ground and super easy on rollers.

So - Back 5s!!!
- Carve the same line up the jump as you would a Back 3.
- To get the most out of round take off, prewind your upper body and bend together. Unwind and pop together (as one movement).
This is a skill that will take a lot of fine tuning, but will eventually get you more air and more spin.
- With a back 3 you will know the feeling of kinda chilling out through the end of it. You can see your landing, you know your spin is almost there. You know you’ve got it so you just wait and then stomp it down. It’s the best part of back 3s.
INSTEAD, try to get to that stage a little sooner and then use that time to continue to look around until your looking back at the take off (like u would for a back 180). Your body and board will follow your head around the same as a back 180.
- Even if you only make it to 450, just before you land, you can counter rotate your board the rest of the way. Just like you would a back 180 that didn’t spin far enough (hence the reason Rider says practicing back 1s are so important).
- You can land anywhere between a back 3 and a back 5 simply by making sure you land on your toe edge. It’s why I love back 5s. You almost can’t stuff up the landing too bad as long as that toe edge goes down first.
(If you over rotate the back 5, you will have to land on you heels, but this rarely happens when learning, you’ll more likely under rotate or stomp it clean. Also you shouldn’t over rotate if you keep looking back at the take off until you land).

That’s the gist of it. Hope that gives you some thoughts to play around with.
I can’t give u specific advice until I see you throwing them in Perisher. Then we’ll fine tune them and make them look rad.
Until then - Happy Hucking!

Thanks for breaking it down Andy - yeah I think I understand what needs to be done just need to head out and get it done! Thanks guys clap

Your very welcome.
I gotta say, judging from your last videos I think your becoming one of the best park riders among us.
Are you chasing the winter at the moment? If so, what job?

Andy did you get your level 3 in the end?

Shiit, thanks Andy!  shaka 

Yeah I did just get back from 3 months in whis but im not doing back to back seasons as such.. Im from Canberra so ill be down as much as possible but im wrapping up a degree at uni too so unfortunately am not able to come live down there - bummer!

That’s cool, sounds like you’re getting plenty of riding in while studying anyway.
Good way to study for sure.

skip11 - 09 May 2014 03:14 PM

Andy did you get your level 3 in the end?

Nah, I’ve passed the Pedagogy and Teaching components now, but still have the Riding to go. I couldn’t do the exam at the end of the season like I planned because I had to come home for my sisters wedding.
So now I have a long wait until I can get back to Whistler and go at it.

Ah ok, hopefully you’ll pass the riding component next time :D