The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

New Zealand 2014

Thought I’d start a NZ 2014 thread considering there seem to be a few of us going over this year and I got an exciting email from NZSki today;

The Remarkables

It is a hive of activity at the moment and it seems that every digger in Queenstown is currently up on the mountain.

80,000 cubic metres of dirt is being moved this summer to make way for the new six-seater Curvey Basin chairlift, new trails and increased carparking .

The end result; twice the snowmaking capability, 20% more learners area, more slope time thanks to a 1.2km high speed lift and a whole lot more skiable terrain. 

Really looking forward to checking it out!! Anything that means not having to use the Alta chair has got to be a good thing!!

I’ll be in Queenstown with the fiance, his sister and her boyfriend from Sat 19th July till Sun 27th July. Hanging out for some Fergburger and Fergbaker already!!

Oh nice! i Hiked up to the top of that ridge-line last time i was there.

Prob going to head back this year if they have decent cover/fresh snow and we dont.

yeh new lift should be heaps good. The main downside of remarks for me was that the runs were so short and the lines for Alta chair were so slow moving! 1.2k chair sound sweet as.

We booked our accom. today. Staying at alpine village apartments again.

alright so I need some tips/advice

Me and 3/4 mates are gonna do Queenstown for a week.
Not keen on hiring a car or camper just up for a simple, easy trip, stay in town and get the bus up each day.
Is it worth getting a package deal? if so, who are the best to go with? There are so many out there and so many different types of hotels etc.

having never been just wanted to get some do’s/donts

If ya not gonna hire a car, make sure ya stay as close to town as possible!!!!!

But if it were me, I’d hire a car!!!!!

By the time ya split the cost, it would prob cover shuttles anyway, plus you’ll have the freedom to explore a whole lot more!!!!!

Yep Hire a car!!!

Could not think of anything worst than being trap to start end times due to a shuttle bus!!

(but you know this is also the girl who hates the ski tube for the same reason - and that runs all day…)

And unless you get a super dupper cheap airfare I would go the package deal.

You would be surprised at how good a deal you would get per person for say 4 of you including a car!

I didnt think the bus was that bad tbh, in fact we are opting for the bus again this year. $15/day and we could just sit back and relax smile

And have to leave whenever the bus does, not thanks.

Yeah I’ll be hiring a campervan when I’m there in July, hopefully avoiding any shuttle bus hassles. The fact that for $30-50/night I’ll also have a place to sleep, can explore other areas at any time and with a lift ticket included it’s almost in too good to be true territory!

Plus we will be doing a lot of drinking - no one will want to drive up in the morning!! haha

Also I have found some pretty sweet penthouses to hire for a week and they aren’t too much more money than some of the hotels (apart from hostels and the budget places) so I might look into that too

StamfordKid - 04 February 2014 08:27 AM

Plus we will be doing a lot of drinking

Even more of a reason to drive!!

Don’t miss you bus up the mountain otherwise you will miss a day boarding!

Seriously - look at the schedule. I believe (its been a few years for me) there was 2 up the mountain and 2 back down. thats it!

And if everyone decides to catch the later bus and then the bus is full…. your bad so sad… as you are again missing a day of boarding!

I had a car and both of those scenarios happened to people on my last trip! Lost of free drinks in the bar for me on that trip as I was the hotel hero!! LOL

ozgirl - 04 February 2014 12:12 PM

Seriously - look at the schedule. I believe (its been a few years for me) there was 2 up the mountain and 2 back down. thats it!

And if everyone decides to catch the later bus and then the bus is full…. your bad so sad… as you are again missing a day of boarding!

I had a car and both of those scenarios happened to people on my last trip! Lost of free drinks in the bar for me on that trip as I was the hotel hero!! LOL

the buses run from 8am to noon every 20 mins. then back down the hill from 1:30pm til close every 20 mins

Great!!!

StamfordKid - 04 February 2014 02:57 PM
ozgirl - 04 February 2014 12:12 PM

the buses run from 8am to noon every 20 mins. then back down the hill from 1:30pm til close every 20 mins

Beat me to it!

We never had any hassle with getting a bus. Especially in the mornings, they tended to have buses lined up just waiting for people so were leaving every 10 mins or so.

if we don’t end up getting a car i’m assuming the best place to stay would be as close as possible to central Queenstown?