The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Carving with a rocker board?

Andy Aitken - 29 April 2011 12:44 AM

Recently I’ve heard so many people on chair lifts saying that to win halfpipe you just have to be a good gymnast (like being a good gymnast is easy). But the pipe draws on almost every different skill you have just to air out of the thing and land on the right edge to set up for the next wall, and that’s before you even start doing tricks. Don’t get me wrong, gymnastic training helps but there’s a huge difference between flipping on a trampoline and taking off, flipping and landing on a board.

Intelligence prevails.

chucky - 26 April 2012 01:43 PM
Andy Aitken - 29 April 2011 12:44 AM

Recently I’ve heard so many people on chair lifts saying that to win halfpipe you just have to be a good gymnast (like being a good gymnast is easy). But the pipe draws on almost every different skill you have just to air out of the thing and land on the right edge to set up for the next wall, and that’s before you even start doing tricks. Don’t get me wrong, gymnastic training helps but there’s a huge difference between flipping on a trampoline and taking off, flipping and landing on a board.

Intelligence prevails.

He’s talking specifically about halfpipe riding. The ‘tricks’ still have the same principals as gymnastics. He’s said “to win at halfpipe you just have to be good at gymnastics”. I’m saying “Freestyle snowboarding is basically just glorified gymnastics” - Let me break this down one last time. Freestyle snowboarders are looked at and glorified for the aerial maneuver (gymnastic trick - such as a backflip with 2 full spins) they do. If that doesn’t make clear the term “glorified gymnast” I don’t know what does.

As I said, Freestyle snowboarding is basically just gymnastics, I didn’t say it was entirely gymnastics. If you really wanted to put point to where the theory fails you should have focused on the non aerial side of freestyle such as jibs and ground tricks. But even then, they hold certain aspects such as spin initiation and balance.

Intelligence prevails, huh? If you’re really going to carry on trying to argue with me over such a trivial term then you’ll do yourself a favour by keeping with facts and opinions rather than trying to demean someone.

Without getting partisan on this one I certainly see a distinction between the riding you see from the top video pros compared to the top contest pros.  That difference is the level of danger, or at least the likelyhood of pain.  How many people can do switch back nines?  Loads of people (way too many of these are scandinavian but I digress).  How many people can do switch back nines over the mother?  Only John Jackson as far as i know. 

I’m sure there was a point i was trying to make somewhere in that last bit.

I looked at ya avatar, then ya last comment, then back to ya avatar again!!!!!  LOL

Aidy - 27 April 2012 06:56 AM

Without getting partisan on this one I certainly see a distinction between the riding you see from the top video pros compared to the top contest pros.  That difference is the level of danger, or at least the likelyhood of pain.  How many people can do switch back nines?  Loads of people (way too many of these are scandinavian but I digress).  How many people can do switch back nines over the mother?  Only John Jackson as far as i know

I’m sure there was a point i was trying to make somewhere in that last bit.

I may have been hiding under a rock, what is this?

SamNZ - 25 April 2012 09:59 AM

Freestyle Snowboarding is basically just glorified gymnastics.

Once again, YOU made this ignorant, asinine statement - deal with it. Those were your exact words, so stop trying to pretend they weren’t.

The gymnastic component in freestyle snowboarding is but ONE of MANY elements that contribute to the whole. Remove the gymnastic component from freestyle snowboarding, and it STILL exists - so it is FAR from being the core component (as YOU implied)!

The implication in your statement is perfectly clear. You can continue to try and backpedal all you want, you can continue to try and move the goalposts, you can continue to try and spin your way out of it - but the fact that you were WRONG will still remain.

Sack up, accept your mistake, learn from it, and move on.

Aidy - 27 April 2012 06:56 AM

Without getting partisan on this one I certainly see a distinction between the riding you see from the top video pros compared to the top contest pros.  That difference is the level of danger, or at least the likelyhood of pain.  How many people can do switch back nines?  Loads of people (way too many of these are scandinavian but I digress).  How many people can do switch back nines over the mother?  Only John Jackson as far as i know.

Good point.

Whether it’s thrown in the park, the pipe, or the backcountry, a switch back nine is a prime example of “freestyle snowboarding” - so your example further highlights the fact that freestyle snowboarding is a LOT MORE than “just glorified gymnastics”.

ok, so in summary, how are rocker boards for carving?  tongue laugh

chucky - 27 April 2012 09:12 AM

Once again, YOU made this ignorant, asinine statement - deal with it. Those were your exact words, so stop trying to pretend they weren’t.

The gymnastic component in freestyle snowboarding is but ONE of MANY elements that contribute to the whole. Remove the gymnastic component from freestyle snowboarding, and it STILL exists - so it is FAR from being the core component (as YOU implied)!

The implication in your statement is perfectly clear. You can continue to try and backpedal all you want, you can continue to try and move the goalposts, you can continue to try and spin your way out of it - but the fact that you were WRONG will still remain.

Yeah, again, you’re making things up and twisting what’s been said to suit your very specific point of view without backing your statements up with any thing other than “you made an asinine statement” and weak attempts to demean myself and my point of view. I never made a mistake. I’m not backpedaling.
I would suggest you sack up, accept that not everyone shares the same views. Move on. But I offered that chance many posts ago - it doesn’t seem like you can.

I’m not sure I ever said it was the “core” component. I would say it is a large part of it though. Remove the gymnastic part of freestyle snowboarding and no, it does not exist. How does one spin or flip without the gymnast part? That’s what spins and flips are, no?

Want me to prove this even more? Here’s some literal definitions of “Gymnastics”

1. ( used with a plural verb ) gymnastic exercises.
2. ( used with a singular verb ) the practice art, or competitive sport of gymnastic exercises.
3. ( used with a plural verb ) mental feats or other exercises of skill: Verbal gymnastics.
4. ( functioning as singular ) practice or training in exercises that develop physical strength and agility or mental capacity

and “Gymnastic”

1. of or pertaining to physical exercises that develop and demonstrate strength, balance, and agility, especially such exercises performed mostly on special equipment.

Want more? The definition of “Glorified”

1. to cause to be or treat as being more splendid, excellent, etc., than would normally be considered.
2. to honor with praise, admiration, or worship; extol.
3. to make glorious; invest with glory.
4. to praise the glory of (God), especially as an act of worship

As you can see, “glorified gymnast” fits perfectly in line with the literal definition.

I really hope you’ve had a few laughs during this. I’ve certainly “chuckled” along the way. You can continue to convince yourself about how your ideas and views are the solely correct ones that all other snowboarders hold, but I’ll leave you to do that yourself from now on. This is starting to loose it’s humor.

Mudhoney - 27 April 2012 11:26 AM

ok, so in summary, how are rocker boards for carving?  tongue laugh

What did you just call me?????

Come at me bro!

Like a Panda on heat!!!!!

mmmmmm…..... BBQ Panda Bear!!!!!!  drool

SamNZ - 27 April 2012 11:30 AM
chucky - 27 April 2012 09:12 AM

Yeah, again, you’re making things up and twisting what’s been said to suit your very specific point of view without backing your statements up with any thing other than “you made an asinine statement” and weak attempts to demean myself and my point of view. I never made a mistake. I’m not backpedaling.
I would suggest you sack up, accept that not everyone shares the same views. Move on. But I offered that chance many posts ago - it doesn’t seem like you can.

I’m not sure I ever said it was the “core” component. I would say it is a large part of it though. Remove the gymnastic part of freestyle snowboarding and no, it does not exist. How does one spin or flip without the gymnast part? That’s what spins and flips are, no?

Want me to prove this even more? Here’s some literal definitions of “Gymnastics”

1. ( used with a plural verb ) gymnastic exercises.
2. ( used with a singular verb ) the practice art, or competitive sport of gymnastic exercises.
3. ( used with a plural verb ) mental feats or other exercises of skill: Verbal gymnastics.
4. ( functioning as singular ) practice or training in exercises that develop physical strength and agility or mental capacity

and “Gymnastic”

1. of or pertaining to physical exercises that develop and demonstrate strength, balance, and agility, especially such exercises performed mostly on special equipment.

Want more? The definition of “Glorified”

1. to cause to be or treat as being more splendid, excellent, etc., than would normally be considered.
2. to honor with praise, admiration, or worship; extol.
3. to make glorious; invest with glory.
4. to praise the glory of (God), especially as an act of worship

As you can see, “glorified gymnast” fits perfectly in line with the literal definition.

I really hope you’ve had a few laughs during this. I’ve certainly “chuckled” along the way. You can continue to convince yourself about how your ideas and views are the solely correct ones that all other snowboarders hold, but I’ll leave you to do that yourself from now on. This is starting to loose it’s humor.

Little more than another embarrassingly pathetic attempt at backpedalling. You’re not fooling anyone but (evidently) yourself.

Unless, of course, you genuinely have no clue whatsoever that the phrase “glorified xxxxxxx”, is commonly used in the English language with the intent of derogatory belittlement? Is that it? Are you really that woefully benighted?

So which is it - ignorant, illiterate, or both?

Shutting this thread down for now. Please start a new thread if you want to take it back on topic.

https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/4779/