The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Carving with a rocker board?

chucky - 25 April 2012 05:43 AM

It’s the same with the ski aerials.

Yet another reason why snowboarding doesn’t belong in the Olympics. Soulless robot drones manufactured in gymnastics factories should have NO place in snowboarding.

Freestyle Snowboarding is basically just glorified gymnastics. I don’t know how anyone could explain that it’s not.
But why do they have no place? If they are able to compete at a high professional level, what’s the problem?

chucky - 25 April 2012 05:43 AM

Just when you think it can’t possible get any worse, the FIS now want to save money by getting SKI judges to also judge Olympic snowboard competition!!!

No, they are not getting SKI judges to judge it. They are seeking crossover judges. Judges who can judge both sports. This isn’t really a problem. Snowboarders are just getting butthurt over the fact the FIS are in control again, and while I dislike that, this isn’t hardly an issue.
At my home mountain we use the same judges to judge both ski and board competitions. There’s no rules stating that someone can’t know enough about both skiing and boarding to judge both. FIS are making a smart move here trying to cut costs - the only issue I can think of is that there can’t be many high level judges able to judge both. But that doesn’t mean they can’t.

SamNZ - 25 April 2012 09:59 AM

Freestyle Snowboarding is basically just glorified gymnastics. I don’t know how anyone could explain that it’s not.
But why do they have no place? If they are able to compete at a high professional level, what’s the problem?

Bollocks. Snowboarding is NOT simply gymnastics (or figure skating), nor should it EVER be! So what’s next - points for the riders’ costumes, the tighter the leopard print pants, the better? Hair and makeup before each run? Just because freestyle snowboarding is heading that way, does NOT mean it SHOULD! Soul and style should ALWAYS reign supreme in snowboarding - NOT the petty bullshit they deal with in sports like gymnastics or figure skating!

There’s a very good reason why Rube Goldberg’s floaty back one was a major highlight of the recent Telus comp in Whistler - because it consummately epitomised the true SOUL of snowboarding - and the antithesis of what these soulless robot drones manufactured in gymnastics factories represent.

No, they are not getting SKI judges to judge it. They are seeking crossover judges. Judges who can judge both sports.

Ummmmmmmmm, if they “judge both sports”, one of them being skiing, then by definition, they ARE “ski judges”. Their ability (or lack thereof) to also judge snowboarding does not negate this basic fact.

And do you REALLY think that, given the choice between ski judges who can also judge snowboarding, or snowboard judges who can also judge skiing, the FIS (a blatantly biased SKIER’S organisation) are going to choose the latter???

This isn’t really a problem.

OF COURSE it’s “a problem” - because it’s yet another sign of the FIS’s continuing disrespect for snowboarding.

Snowboarders are just getting butthurt over the fact the FIS are in control again . .

Could your comment possibly be any more patronising? FAR from simply being “butthurt”, what snowboarders are actually doing, is attempting to right a huge WRONG, and working toward giving control of snowboarding back to those who SHOULD be in charge - themselves.

There’s no rules stating that someone can’t know enough about both skiing and boarding to judge both. FIS are making a smart move here trying to cut costs . . .

(rolls eyes) This is the OLYMPIC GAMES, not some half arsed local comp. There are BILLIONS of dollars involved - and the relative cost of judges hardly factors into that at all. If snowboarding is going to be involved at all, then the least they can do is provide the BEST judges for each individual sport, not just the cheapest compromise. Other sports simply wouldn’t stand for this kind of disrespect, so WHY should snowboarding?

my three cents (points) worth

1) isn’t this thread about carving with a rocker board? wink

2) Funny that on one hand you guys are talking about drones in the women’s half pipe and on the other hand paying out White for his clothes. If you lined up all the pipe riders in the x games and I couldn’t see their numbers, I couldn’t tell any of them apart besides him.

3) Saving costs is the worst excuse ever for not having snowboarding specific judges at the Olympics…..the costs associated with having these judges would be insignificant in the scheme of things.

snowboarding alone is responsible for bringing a lot of money to the olympics. Trying to save a few bucks in it’s judging is unacceptable.
Anyways, like I said before, it’s up the riders now to put their foot down. It doesn’t matter if regular snowboarders get pissed off but the pros still compete.

chucky - 25 April 2012 11:16 AM

Bollocks. Snowboarding is NOT simply gymnastics (or figure skating), nor should it EVER be! So what’s next - points for the riders’ costumes, the tighter the leopard print pants, the better? Hair and makeup before each run? Just because freestyle snowboarding is heading that way, does NOT mean it SHOULD! Soul and style should ALWAYS reign supreme in snowboarding - NOT the petty bullshit they deal with in sports like gymnastics or figure skating!

There’s a very good reason why Rube Goldberg’s floaty back one was a major highlight of the recent Telus comp in Whistler - because it consummately epitomised the true SOUL of snowboarding - and the antithesis of what these soulless robot drones manufactured in gymnastics factories represent.

You misinterpret the base element of gymnastics - movement of the body. Do snowboarders not do flips and twists for points? Are they not judged by how well they execute the manoeuveres? I’m not sure why you’re looking at the “outfit” and “makeup” side of it. Really, I don’t have a clue why you decided to pick the least obvious connection between the two.
If snowboarding is not gymnastics based then why do so many riders utilize gymnastics facilities to improve themselves and learn?
You’re comment on the Back One only helps this point as he is being based on the style and execution of the trick, not “what the trick represents”. Just because a trick is “old” and isn’t more than 720 degrees on any axis, doesn’t mean it can’t be judged well and score good points.

Ummmmmmmmm, if they “judge both sports”, one of them being skiing, then by definition, they ARE “ski judges”. Their ability (or lack thereof) to also judge snowboarding does not negate this basic fact.

You were not implying that definition and did in fact mean, literally, a ski judge. It’s also misleading, as they have used the term ‘crossover’ themselves to try and help people understand they are not primarily ski judges.

And do you REALLY think that, given the choice between ski judges who can also judge snowboarding, or snowboard judges who can also judge skiing, the FIS (a blatantly biased SKIER’S organisation) are going to choose the latter???

OF COURSE it’s “a problem” - because it’s yet another sign of the FIS’s continuing disrespect for snowboarding.

“As part of an attempt to cut costs and promote event efficiency, FIS and International Olympic Commitee have confirmed that they are looking to enlist ‘crossover judges’ for the 2012 Sochi Olympics. The judges would be scoring both snowboarding and freeskiing events, though FIS has claimed that head judges will remain unique to each discipline.”

“enlist” - Means they are looking. If they were going to use Ski based judges they wouldn’t need to look. They have plenty.
The fact they are saying “Head judges will remain”, and that Skiing is also taking a hit when it comes to judges suggests that hey, maybe this isn’t about being biased.

“Fitzgerald emphasized that any shared judges would be “tested and qualified” to judge multiple disciplines and multiple sports. “We’re looking for one or two people who can cross over between groups,” he said. “Hopefully we can find them.”“

These two quotes pretty much sum up the points that show they are not being biased here and are not cutting corners with judges. They would still be a high level of expectation of them and there are judges unique to each discipline still on the panel.

Could your comment possibly be any more patronising? FAR from simply being “butthurt”, what snowboarders are actually doing, is attempting to right a huge WRONG, and working toward giving control of snowboarding back to those who SHOULD be in charge - themselves.

It was supposed to be patronizing. And I couldn’t agree more, snowboarders should be in control - doesn’t change my opinion that crossover judges are acceptable and snowboarders are blowing this out of the water for the simple fact that it’s the FIS.

(rolls eyes) This is the OLYMPIC GAMES, not some half arsed local comp. There are BILLIONS of dollars involved - and the relative cost of judges hardly factors into that at all. If snowboarding is going to be involved at all, then the least they can do is provide the BEST judges for each individual sport, not just the cheapest compromise. Other sports simply wouldn’t stand for this kind of disrespect, so WHY should snowboarding?

“Half arsed”? It’s a four star Freeride World Tour qualifier. A Judge can still see style, fluidity, and other judging factors in both sports, so why can’t someone who is more experienced and knowledgeable about both disciplines do it at a high level? It is a job, and training is expected. Being solely a Ski or Snowboard Judge is very specific. Obviously skiing is going to have to stand for it, as stated earlier - They will be using the same judges.

Snowboarders will never be happy with the FIS even if they are trying to do the right thing, sometimes you have to ignore the moaners. Why can’t this work? As stated, there are no rules stating someone isn’t mentally or physically able to judge both.

As for “Trying to save a few bucks in [snowboardings] judging is unacceptable.” As stated earlier, it’s for both skiing and boarding. And who are we to tell an organisation who’s been running competitions for years, what their budget is and where they are allowed to cut costs?
Paying for judges would not be insignificant. Food, accommodation, travel costs, wages, allowances, visas, and probably a few other costs I couldn’t list, for multiple judges for each sport would add up fast.

Maybe they should use “crossover” judges from the gymnastics?????

That way they can save dollars, give the summer olympic judges somethin to do every two years, and finally get Shaun some points for his presentation!!!!!

^^ It’s on cool grin

Like Donkey Kong!!!!! LOL

SamNZ - 25 April 2012 04:01 PM

You misinterpret the base element of gymnastics - movement of the body. Do snowboarders not do flips and twists for points? Are they not judged by how well they execute the manoeuveres? I’m not sure why you’re looking at the “outfit” and “makeup” side of it. Really, I don’t have a clue why you decided to pick the least obvious connection between the two.
If snowboarding is not gymnastics based then why do so many riders utilize gymnastics facilities to improve themselves and learn?

I’m not misinterpreting anything - because unlike you, I’m aware that although some forms of snowboarding incorporate “the base element of gymnastics”, snowboarding on the whole is so much MORE than that. The further snowboard competition heads in the direction of purely gymnastics competition, the higher the likelihood petty presentation based judging elements (ie. “outfit” and “makeup”) will eventually be incorporated. YOU may want this to happen, but I do NOT!

You’re comment on the Back One only helps this point as he is being based on the style and execution of the trick, not “what the trick represents”. Just because a trick is “old” and isn’t more than 720 degrees on any axis, doesn’t mean it can’t be judged well and score good points.

What a crock of shit. The point was, that it deliberately went against the concept of “flips and twists for points”, and brought pure style back into the game. THAT is why it garnered so much respect and acclaim - because it was an act of rebellion against the soulless robotic bullshit freestyle snowboarding is becoming.

You were not implying that definition and did in fact mean, literally, a ski judge. It’s also misleading, as they have used the term ‘crossover’ themselves to try and help people understand they are not primarily ski judges.

“As part of an attempt to cut costs and promote event efficiency, FIS and International Olympic Commitee have confirmed that they are looking to enlist ‘crossover judges’ for the 2012 Sochi Olympics. The judges would be scoring both snowboarding and freeskiing events, though FIS has claimed that head judges will remain unique to each discipline.”

“Fitzgerald emphasized that any shared judges would be “tested and qualified” to judge multiple disciplines and multiple sports. “We’re looking for one or two people who can cross over between groups,” he said. “Hopefully we can find them.”“

These two quotes pretty much sum up the points that show they are not being biased here and are not cutting corners with judges. They would still be a high level of expectation of them and there are judges unique to each discipline still on the panel.

Could you possibly be any more naive? The FIS will always be a SKIERS’ organisation run by SKIERS for SKIERS. Sure, they may say otherwise, but that’s only to fool the gullible so they can get their way. They may fool you, but thankfully, they’re not fooling everyone.

The FIS don’t give a crap about snowboarding - never have, never will. Snowboarding’s just a cash cow for the FIS - and they’ll be perfectly happy to slit its throat once they can no longer milk it for all it’s worth. What they really mean by “crossover judges” is SKI judges who also meet the minimum requirements for snowboard judging. As usual, their skiers will get what they want, and the snowboarders will get the scraps.

that back 1 was so dope!

chucky - 26 April 2012 02:14 AM

I’m not misinterpreting anything - because unlike you, I’m aware that although some forms of snowboarding incorporate “the base element of gymnastics”, snowboarding on the whole is so much MORE than that. The further snowboard competition heads in the direction of purely gymnastics competition, the higher the likelihood petty presentation based judging elements (ie. “outfit” and “makeup”) will eventually be incorporated. YOU may want this to happen, but I do NOT!

Yeah, no. You couldn’t make me laugh any harder by twisting the concept I have put forward. You’re trying to make this bigger than it is. You’ve got a skewered idea that because they only share one element they are nothing alike. Snowboarding still incorporates “looks” and “style”. So does Gymnastics - although this is completely off the point I was making, you brought it up.

My base opinion I put forward was that at the end of the day, a person riding off a kicker doing a BS Rodeo 7 is the same movement that a Gymnast would make. Yet we are looked at differently for it. Glorified Gymnasts. Interpret what I say how you like, I made it clear earlier I was referring to body movement and not “make up” - The term “glorified gymnasts” is a common term thrown around amongst many. I first heard it in my Snow School staff room. And since then heard have heard it in various other places.

What a crock of shit. The point was, that it deliberately went against the concept of “flips and twists for points”, and brought pure style back into the game. THAT is why it garnered so much respect and acclaim - because it was an act of rebellion against the soulless robotic bullshit freestyle snowboarding is becoming.

Even more a crock of shit. How does spinning 180 degrees go “against the concept of “flips and twists”? That falls perfectly in line with the concept of “twists”.
I’m not sure if you’re trying to state he was scored high because of the ‘spirit in which he did the trick’ or if it was just respected because of that. It doesn’t matter though - if he was scored based on “spirit” then that goes against the point of judging. That’s like saying any schmuck can throw a 360 and because his attitude was right, he gets a 10. Or judging someone based on their personality instead of how well they threw down on the day.
Both Back 1’s, Indy’s and Methods have been a staple trick in Snowboarding’s history. A rider is often judged by their take on each trick. Each rider has their own style and variation of them.

Could you possibly be any more naive? The FIS will always be a SKIERS’ organisation run by SKIERS for SKIERS. Sure, they may say otherwise, but that’s only to fool the gullible so they can get their way. They may fool you, but thankfully, they’re not fooling everyone.

The FIS don’t give a crap about snowboarding - never have, never will. Snowboarding’s just a cash cow for the FIS - and they’ll be perfectly happy to slit its throat once they can no longer milk it for all it’s worth. What they really mean by “crossover judges” is SKI judges who also meet the minimum requirements for snowboard judging. As usual, their skiers will get what they want, and the snowboarders will get the scraps.

Naive? you’re the one who’s made up a mental philosophy to snowboarding and trying to announce as the sole view of the sport. At the end of the day it’s someone on a plank of wood, sliding down a hill, which is creates chemical reactions in the brain and body. But nope - it’s all about rebelling against the machine man! What you want to think of it is your opinion. Notice when people such a Nicolas Muller talk about it they say “Snowboarding to me is”?

Another direct quote from an article:
““I think both the ski and snowboard industries will raise hell,” said Association of Freeskiing Professionals co-founder Josh Loubek, who served as head judge for the slope and pipe events at the 2011 FIS Freestyle World Ski Championships. Loubek plans to apply for head-judge responsibilities in Sochi, and believes shared judges is a “ridiculous” idea.”
Skiers are upset too. Kinda blows the idea that the FIS are making a biased change that benefits skiers only.

You’ve got a narcissistic view of the FIS. And I can’t really blame you for that. Sure they haven’t been the best in the past, but you’re not even looking at this like maybe they are trying to be fair to both sides. There is no indicator saying they are screwing over snowboarders and not skier’s, in fact I provided evidence suggesting their plan affects both sports equally.

Anyway, you voiced your opinion on the FIS and why it’s wrong for them to “use ski judges to judge snowboarding” and I shared why I think the FIS “looking to enlist ‘crossover judges’ for both sports” isn’t as bad as everyone wants it to be.

Agree to disagree and let this thread get back on topic.

Freestyle Snowboarding is basically just glorified gymnastics.

No matter how much irrelevant, irrational, delusional spin you spew forth in a vain attempt to justify this asinine statement, it is blatantly INCORRECT!

Snowboarding is so much MORE than “just glorified gymnastics”. Perhaps if you’d been riding for almost twenty years, seeing snowboarding grow from its infancy into what it is today, you’d see that too.

. . . who are we to tell an organisation who’s been running competitions for years . . .

It makes me sick to my stomach that anyone calling themself a snowboarder could make such a lamentably defeatist and subservient statement in SUPPORT of the FIS - an organisation who have indicated on many occasions they would love to see snowboarding disappear off the face of the earth.

Grow up. I’m not some schmuck who recently picked up snowboarding. I’ve identified components that relate snowboarding to gymnastics and all you’ve done is twist and purposefully misinterpret the meaning of the term “glorified gymnastics” for your own view because you’re upset by it.

I ride because I enjoy it, not because I care what the FIS want to do in competitions, nor because of how you think snowboarding should be viewed. Neither the FIS nor someone else’s views change any aspect of snowboarding for me. A 12 year old beginner doesn’t snowboard because of what it represents, he does it because it’s fun. Snowboarding is nothing more than whatever twisted concept you want it to be. Be it a boring and painful event that you do once or a passion for speed and air that you live for. Hell, maybe you’re a gymnast that wants to challenge themselves in a new way?

If you’re so anti-establishment snowboarding then turn off your T.V. when the Olympics play and pay no attention to the rest of the snowboard community that ever does anything you dislike. No one is forcing you to be involved with the FIS or any other aspect of snowboarding. Choose your own path and steer away from what you dislike.

It doesn’t make me sick to my stomach to read your fantasy view of this sport, but I sure did laugh along the way. And yes, I’m purposefully being patronizing, again - because after explaining the concept and offering you a final point of these being opinions that we do not share, you continued to attempt to dig in your views of a sport you do not own.

Freestyle Snowboarding is basically just glorified gymnastics.

YOU made this ignorant, asinine statement, not me.

You’re just pathetically incapable of getting your tiny little head around the FACT (NOT ‘opinion’) that although there is a gymnastic element in freestyle snowboarding, that singular component alone DOES NOT even come close to defining freestyle snowboarding as a whole. Sad, truly sad.