The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Carving with a rocker board?

Dan83 - 28 April 2011 05:02 AM
Andy Aitken - 28 April 2011 02:52 AM

The really weird thing is there were a bunch of pros in the olympics for half pipe… on rockers??? Even if they sponsor you, you would think you would chose a camber board from that company…. weird.

That’s really surprising!?!

I know! Weird right?
Well Shaun White won gold for the guys and our beloved Torah Bright won gold for the girls and they were both riding camber boards, so that’s all the proof I need.
Specially because I’m trying to improve my pipe riding and also keep progressing spins on kickers. I’m definitely going back to camber… as soon as I find one that feels good lol. Rockers are so easy and playful it’s hard to switch back but worthwhile I think.

Yeah, while I was sussin them out the manufacturers even recommend them for pipe as well!!!!!

eg The GNU Danny Kass (Half Pipe Charger in his own right)!!!!! Same C2 Banana Tech!!!!!

isn’t torah bright on a roxy board with c2?
anyways, I think shaun white could have won with a rockered board no problem.
but look at what pipe riding is now: as long as the board you’re on can hold an edge at speed and has a poppy tail (and nose for switch) that’ s all you need. Pipe runs are now decided by how gymnastic you are (well, it always has been, but now more so).

wouldnt the rockered tip n tail help with their release from the pipes edge as well when they are initiating big spins? No catch from contact points at the end?

@Dan83: Don’t really like em. It was hardpacked that day and the thing doesn’t wanna hold an edge, just sliding around. Even the rep said, it’s not really good for hardpack conditions. But with my super noob limited butter skill, I can see how it can be fun playing around the resort on soft snow. There’s a directional nug which has directional shape and flex, also with 5mm taper. I want to try it but didn’t have the size, and the rep also said it should be better on hard conditions.

@Andy: Isn’t Torah riding Roxy board with C2?

Gamblor - 28 April 2011 07:05 AM

but look at what pipe riding is now: as long as the board you’re on can hold an edge at speed and has a poppy tail (and nose for switch) that’ s all you need. Pipe runs are now decided by how gymnastic you are (well, it always has been, but now more so).

Torah is on one of those boards too now? I know she was one of the first to compete with magnetraction but she stuck to camber last I had seen. She must have switched for these olympics.
So Danny Kass was on a C2 not just a normal rocker, that makes way more sense to me now. Man I really want to try a C2 now.

I agree that some form of rockered tips in the pipe is good for releasing edges to spin but landing spins is going to be washier and more likely to revert. Also not as good at holding an edge through the pipe. I’m on a rocker right now.

Recently I’ve heard so many people on chair lifts saying that to win halfpipe you just have to be a good gymnast (like being a good gymnast is easy). But the pipe draws on almost every different skill you have just to air out of the thing and land on the right edge to set up for the next wall, and that’s before you even start doing tricks. Don’t get me wrong, gymnastic training helps but there’s a huge difference between flipping on a trampoline and taking off, flipping and landing on a board. Spinning is the same too.
And If half pipe was a contest of who could ride it the smoothest and get the most air, it’s pretty likely Shaun White would still win.
I’m just saying I think we should give these guys a little more credit for what they do.

skip11 - 28 April 2011 04:33 PM

@Dan83: Don’t really like em. It was hardpacked that day and the thing doesn’t wanna hold an edge, just sliding around. Even the rep said, it’s not really good for hardpack conditions. But with my super noob limited butter skill, I can see how it can be fun playing around the resort on soft snow. There’s a directional nug which has directional shape and flex, also with 5mm taper. I want to try it but didn’t have the size, and the rep also said it should be better on hard conditions.

@Andy: Isn’t Torah riding Roxy board with C2?

Yeah fair enough. I guess it would just be fun for days were you wanna goof around. Great for spring skiing slush in oz probably hahaha!

Just to confirm guys..and gals..Torah was definately riding her model board..the Eminence..which has C2,in the Vancouver olympics.I still think that camber/rocker combos are gonna be hard to beat.
I rode camber for almost 16 years til I tried a 149 camrock YES board a couple of years ago..took it heliboarding in NZ and all..set up duck and wide. Everyone thought i was tripping..I thought I was tripping but the thing worked a treat.
I have taken my TRS 151 to Japan and recently to the States..riding lines, pow and park all on the one board.
Quiver of one.
Some people will always ride camber. Each to their own of course. I’m sold on C2. The new Ec2 on the Attack Bananas is super sweet too.
Snowboarding is fun..

Andy Aitken - 29 April 2011 12:44 AM
Gamblor - 28 April 2011 07:05 AM

Torah is on one of those boards too now? I know she was one of the first to compete with magnetraction but she stuck to camber last I had seen. She must have switched for these olympics.
So Danny Kass was on a C2 not just a normal rocker, that makes way more sense to me now. Man I really want to try a C2 now.

I agree that some form of rockered tips in the pipe is good for releasing edges to spin but landing spins is going to be washier and more likely to revert. Also not as good at holding an edge through the pipe. I’m on a rocker right now.

Recently I’ve heard so many people on chair lifts saying that to win halfpipe you just have to be a good gymnast (like being a good gymnast is easy). But the pipe draws on almost every different skill you have just to air out of the thing and land on the right edge to set up for the next wall, and that’s before you even start doing tricks. Don’t get me wrong, gymnastic training helps but there’s a huge difference between flipping on a trampoline and taking off, flipping and landing on a board. Spinning is the same too.
And If half pipe was a contest of who could ride it the smoothest and get the most air, it’s pretty likely Shaun White would still win.
I’m just saying I think we should give these guys a little more credit for what they do.

One of the big substories of the olympic halfpipe was the chinese womens team. They haven’t been riding very long but all were chosen from a gymnastics background….

Gamblor - 03 May 2011 04:13 AM

One of the big substories of the olympic halfpipe was the chinese womens team. They haven’t been riding very long but all were chosen from a gymnastics background….

It’s the same with the ski aerials.

Yet another reason why snowboarding doesn’t belong in the Olympics. Soulless robot drones manufactured in gymnastics factories should have NO place in snowboarding.

Just when you think it can’t possible get any worse, the FIS now want to save money by getting SKI judges to also judge Olympic snowboard competition!!!

whilst they are at why not get those judges to adjudicate over the farking bobsled, hell why not even cross country skiing?

Good work FIS

this is getting way off topic but with the advent of these crossover judges, it’s up to the pros to make a stand now. Starting with Shaun White. If none of the big name pros go to the qualifiers and anybody who does show up to be cast out from ‘cool’ society that would be a great way to send a big F you to the FIS

Maybe they could adjudicate on Shaun White’s fashion sense while they’re at it?????

^ The FIS are bringing in a special guest judge for that one.

hahaha dude i was just about to photoshop Shaun white into the Queer Eye for the Straight Guy picture!