The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

stuck zip on board bag

A mate of mine lost his board off his roof the other week, was lucky the car behind was on the ball!

Azz - 26 November 2013 07:00 AM

Miz ~ The wax will let stuff stick to it. DON’T DO IT!!!
I have repaired my fair share of board bags over the last 25 years. First thing I do is give them a blast with the heat gun to get the wax off and a wipe down with Wax & grease remover. I don’t want that crap coming off in my sewing machine, no faster way to kill a machine, fine particulates grinding a way at things spinning at high speed.

Muddy ~ I use #10 moulded (chunky) in all our boat covers with plastic slides. They are stronger than the coil slides.

Zippers 101

[...snip…]

Its simply really;

Silicon spray for lube YES
Petroleum based products NO
Clean after use YES
Wax NO

smile

Holy crap, I feel like I’ve been to zipper university!  cheers Azz thumbsup

spaz - 26 November 2013 08:03 AM

I gave up on board bags when I lived at the beach.
Never gone back to owning a board bag after mine seized up and then the inside started disintegrating.

Built a board rack to store your boards, in the car use towels or blankets for protection. I won’t carry my board on the roof - had too many stone chips and it only takes seeing your loved one become airborne at 100km once in the rearview mirror to never want to see it again. Boardbags won’t save your board from road damage or occy straps.

Boardbags are only for travelling on plans - but don’t fill them with marijuana when travelling to indo - only boards!

Makes sense, spaz.  Personally when I go on holidays the car is chock-a-block and the only room for a board is on the roof.  So far my tying-down has worked OK, although it is a hassle getting up there with tie-down straps and padding.

Azz - 26 November 2013 07:00 AM

Its simply really;

Silicon spray for lube YES
Petroleum based products NO
Clean after use YES
Wax NO

smile

~ CREATURES OF LEISURE ~ 

COVER CARE

Creatures use metal sliders on all our covers as they are tough and more robust than plastic alternatives. They can have a significantly longer lifespan than plastic sliders when looked after correctly. Now, as we all know, saltwater is extremely corrosive to metals. To help you to keep your Creatures cover in great condition and ready to travel when you are, we would like to offer you the following simple tips:

Please check your zip sliders regularly for any corrosion (white powder) and take note of how freely the sliders move around the bag.
If the sliders become immersed or are continually in contact with salt water (wet hands and fingers after surfing), please rinse with fresh water.
If your sliders do get stuck, please do not force them - instead wash and brush zip and sliders with mild detergent using a toothbrush to remove corrosion. Once you have removed as much corrosion as possible apply a liberal coat of silicon zipper spray to both zip and sliders. The next step requires patience and a gentle touch; whilst holding the end of the zipper gently pull the slider back and forth - be patient and gentle as this will take some time and you may have to repeat the wash / lubricate stages. Once you have freed the slider, clean and lubricate the corroded zipper area and slider.
If storing your cover away for any extended period of time, please wash both zip and sliders with mild detergent and a toothbrush to remove all dirt and saltwater. Then, apply a liberal amount of Vaseline or grease to the sliders to prevent any corrosion during storage. Fact: Board covers can be a costly purchase, but considering the thankless job they do in protecting and storing your boards a well maintained and cared for cover will be one of the best investments you can make.
Quite simply, if your zipper has seized you need to surf and or travel more.

They are dickheads, just saying.

I use and install about 20K of zips a year, I replace them, fix them and teach folks how to look after them. I don’t get returns for busted, corroded zips and the busting happens after 10 plus years or when folks didn’t listen to me….....
I put zips in far more stressful conditions than a board bag will see.

If they were building a quality product, they would use stainless steel sliders.

You don’t to be a genius to figure dirt and grit sticks to vaseline and other sticky substances. Dirt and grit wears shit out.

If you want I will do the experiment, about to start one with some new fittings.

Put a piece of zip, 50cm long out on the fence. lube one with silicon spray, other with vaseline another with grease, I’ll slide it up and done 10 times each day, bet ya a green one that the one with the grease or vaseline shit themselves first smile

Now don’t get me started on vaseline and press studs rage

Azz - 26 November 2013 12:19 PM

Now don’t get me started on vaseline and press studs rage

Sounds like that might be your problem?????

K2 might have a Gimp Suit and some Lube for ya?????

Oh, and Creatures of Leisure are one of the Market Leaders in Surf Goods!!!!!

Would sell more Board Bags than you and I combined have had Bacon for Breakfast!!!!!

shaka

But they know jack shit about zips teacherboy

*sigh*

LOL

Azz tell is bout the time you got ur junk caught in the zipper. How did u fix that one?

K2_TeacherBoy - 30 November 2013 10:36 PM

Azz tell is bout the time you got ur junk caught in the zipper. How did u fix that one?

this thread is about stuck zip on board bag, not ball bag!

I bet ya he didn’t use silicone spray!!!!!

K2_TeacherBoy - 30 November 2013 10:36 PM

Well it was a #20 zip, because thats the only zip that can handle my junk smile

I grabbed the cordless drill, drilled out a few of the teeth either side of the incident, problem solved.

Then I simply replaced the missing teeth, gave it a squirt with silicon spray, vaseline on my junk and we were back in action shaka

LOL