The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Burton Process v Endeavor Live v Other Options

I’m buying my first board for the season in Whistler and after doing several laps of the village shops and have come up with the Process or the Live. I’ve looked around the net and both seem to have fairly positive reviews but more info is always useful so please chime in with your 2 cents.

78kg, 177cm, size 10 boots,
Comfortable on blues, reds and some blacks, limited pow/trees/park experience but will be seeking it out over the season.
Looking for a board that is happy doing pretty much everything, happy to sacrifice some stability and speed for a more playful board as that has been what i have preferred in the past.

I know little to nothing about bindings so would pretty much be going on the recommendations of the shop so anything to watch out for would also be good.

Cheers

I know nothin about those boards, but I reckon from your description of what/how/where you want to ride, plus your weight, the FLUX DS Bindings will be a great match for you!!!!!

There’s a FLUX Dealer in the Village up near the Supermarket!!!!! (Can’t remember the name of the shop)

Are you looking at the regular Process (camber) or Process Flying V?

Straight up, the Process is pretty soft and the Live is pretty stiff. The Process (especially the Flying V) will be more playful for sure. If that’s what you’re looking for, the Process will be your better option. The Live is a sick board though, and definitely one I would ride in Whistler.

OK, here’s the breakdown…

Shape:
Live is almost a twin (basically a twin with a longer nose). The Process is a twin. Not much difference here.

Base:
Both have sintered bases. That’s what you want.

Camber:
OK, this is where it gets interesting. The Live has camber between the feet and rocker in the nose and tail (often referred to as CamRock). In my opinion, this is one of the most versatile camber profiles on the market. More info here.

You have two options with the Process: regular camber or Flying V. Regular camber will give you stability and pop, while the Flying V will be really playful. Flying V has rocker between the feet and camber under the feet (essentially it rides like a rocker). My only point here is, you will probably want some rocker in your board for a season in Whistler. You will ride pow, and you’ll love it. Full camber just doesn’t float as well, it’s that simple.

My pick here would be the Live. Note, that’s based on my personal preference, but one many people seem to share.

Flex:
The Process is soft-ish, the Live is stiff-ish. Comes down to your personal preference but those are the facts.

Overall:
The Live will be more of an all-mountain charger, which in my opinion, is ideal for a place like Whistler. But you will sacrifice playfulness.

Other options:
If you like the sound of the Live’s camber profile, definitely check out the YES Snowboards range (they have a big range at The Circle). I would suggest you take a good look at these boards before making a decision. If you want the CamRock profile, but with a softer flex, this is your ticket. In particular, I think you might really like the Jackpot.

Bindings:
Now, Flux and Burton would be the first brands I look at. Mizu’s suggestion is spot on. The Flux DS bindings are sick! Other options would be Burton Cartels, Now IPO. It depends on how much you want to spend and how much response (stiffness) you want. Those three suggestions are great all-rounders - can’t go wrong!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Based on that run down, I’d go for the Live!!!!!

And as rider has mentioned, the YES CamRock Boards are a great all rounder for Whis!!!!!

I rode my YES Tasmaniac there a couple of years ago and I reckon it was great profile to have for Whistlers varied terrain and snow conditions!!!!!

I’ve said it before, if I had to ride only one board for a whole season in Whistler, it would be a YES board for sure! You can’t beat the versatility of CamRock in a place like Whistler. My pick would be the ASYM but it’s probably a bit stiffer than you’re looking for (based on your original comments). The Live looks bloody awesome too, wouldn’t be too different from the ASYM.

First time in Whistler ay? Get on a Full rocker board. By someone who knows how to make them work like Lib Tech, Gnu or Arbor.
Full rocker will make your whistler season a white dream.
Easy float on powder days (there will be many), easy in trees, fun in the park, playful to butter and play on the groomers. You’ll love it!
That’s my 2 cents wink

Definitely the Process Flying V (forgot to state that before) as I was thinking a predominately rocker profile overall for the easy playfulness and float. It just sounded like it could be a bit on the softer side.
I wasn’t sure about the Live having not ridden a camrock profile but it was looked upon favourably by a couple of guys who said they have used one for the past couple of years.
Will go back to The Circle for a look at the YES boards.
No-one in store has pointed me in the direction of LibTech or Gnu yet but did have then in the back of my mind.

Was/am pretty sure I would be happy with either as they are said to be more than capable all round. 
Finding options is easy but making a decision is the difficult bit!

I personally didn’t like the behaviour of Lib’s C2 profile!!!!!

While it felt awesome in pow or slush, I didn’t like it when things got icy!!!!!

If you’ve never ridden either profile, I’d suggest to try and get a demo, or if ya know what shop ya gonna get your new board from, ask if you can rent/ride/buy deal off them, as a lot of places on snow do this type of thing these days!!!!!

900steve - 10 November 2013 04:35 AM

Definitely the Process Flying V (forgot to state that before) as I was thinking a predominately rocker profile overall for the easy playfulness and float. It just sounded like it could be a bit on the softer side.
I wasn’t sure about the Live having not ridden a camrock profile but it was looked upon favourably by a couple of guys who said they have used one for the past couple of years.
Will go back to The Circle for a look at the YES boards.
No-one in store has pointed me in the direction of LibTech or Gnu yet but did have then in the back of my mind.

Was/am pretty sure I would be happy with either as they are said to be more than capable all round. 
Finding options is easy but making a decision is the difficult bit!

The Process Flying V will be very playful. It’s soft to begin with and you have rocker between the feet. It will float really nicely in the pow. The drawback will be the (relative) lack of stability. You will feel it mostly when carving and bombing at high speeds. But it sounds like that’s the type of board you’re after anyway. If that’s the case, it’s a really nice option.

Pair it up with the Cartel EST bindings, or Cartel Re:flex if you think you’ll ever use the bindings on a non-Burton board.

I’d still take a good look at the YES boards before you make a decision (CamRock is sick!). wink

Also have a read of the camber profile thread I linked in my original reply (if you haven’t already).

Best of luck with the decision making. Let us know what you decide. thumbsup

Andy Aitken - 10 November 2013 02:59 AM

First time in Whistler ay? Get on a Full rocker board. By someone who knows how to make them work like Lib Tech, Gnu or Arbor.
Full rocker will make your whistler season a white dream.
Easy float on powder days (there will be many), easy in trees, fun in the park, playful to butter and play on the groomers. You’ll love it!
That’s my 2 cents wink

You make good points, Andy. I know it comes from knowledge and experience.

Personally, I just couldn’t do a season in Whistler on a full rocker. Awesome on powder days, but it just doesn’t cut it for shredding the mountain the rest of the time. I guess it’s personal preference, but I feel you need some camber in Whistler (anywhere really), if you’re looking for one “do-it-all” board.

I agree with Jeremy here. Just personal preference no right or wrong. I don’t like full rocker either, demoed an Arbor board in spring. The grip tech is amazing but other than that not really a fan of full rocker.

If you were to go with the Cartels, I’d go the RE:Flex as the EST Versions don’t get a lot of love from the sounds of it!!!!!

Even the Die Hard Burton Fans don’t go with EST’s on the whole!!!!! (There’s always the exception though)

And I agree with rider!!!!! If ya had a quiver to choose from, by all means get a full rocker in there, but I just reckon that you’ll soon get sick of the easy feel and wanna be able to put the pedal to the metal on occasions, so to speak!!!!!

So I ended up getting the Live 157w (156 was too narrow) with Union Force bindings.
Board is probably stiffer than I would have liked but I can see how it could be the better all-rounder and I will progress into it over the season.

Nice setup, mate. That thing will shred the mountain so well. I think you will be stoked with it. Let us know how it goes!

The 156 was too narrow with a US10?????

Maybe he likes wider waist? I personally like 250mm+ for my size 9 boots, 248mm is probably the minimum for me.