The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

TILT Action Sports Film Festival - Snow / Skate / Surf

TILT ACTION SPORTS FILM FESTIVAL

Tickets can be purchased online at http://www.tilt2013.com/

WORLD’S BIGGEST SURF, SKATE & SNOW ICONS HIT THE BIG SCREEN NATIONALLY

For the first time ever, action sports fans can attend the Australian premieres of the biggest surf, skate and snow films at the inaugural TILT Action Sports Film Festival, which opens with the lauded McCONKEY and closes with the long awaited release of two-time world surfing champion Mick Fanning’s MISSING.

Fanning, Tony Hawk, Danny Way, iconic filmmaker Taylor Steele and many more global actions sports heroes feature in the documentary action films, which will run in selected cinemas throughout Australia from 11–15 November 2013.

Presented by Sony Action Cam and Garage Entertainment with support from Event Cinemas in the nation’s capitals and a host of regional independent theatres, TILT aims to make the big screen action – or ‘extreme’ – sports movie experience affordable, with each night’s double feature tickets priced at $15 for students and $20 for Adults.

With nine films playing over five sports themed nights, TILT kicks off on Monday 11 November with the US BOX office hit and Tribeca Film Festival favourite McCONKEY’. This feature length documentary celebrates the inspirational life of Shane McConkey and the legacy he left to the progression of freeskiing and ski-BASE jumping.

Night two, on Tuesday 12 November, pays homage to skateboarding, featuring Sundance Film Festival favourite, Bones Brigade, the story of Tony Hawk, Rodney Mullen and a generation of the world’s most innovative skaters who turned skateboarding into a global phenomenon in the 1980s. Sharing the bill is Waiting for Lightning, the biopic about Danny Way who infamously jumped the Great Wall of China.

Night three offers a retrospective look at surfing with Serendipity, the story of Aussie surfer Anthony Hussein Hinde’s journey of discovery in Maldives and featuring the likes of Bob McTavish, Tom Carroll, Rabbit Bartholomew, and many more. While the second film, INNERSECTION: BLACK debuts 13 sections of pure surfing footage filmed around the world in Taylor Steele and Nathan Myers open-source freesurfing comp.

Night four is for snow fans, with the debut of Into the Mind, the stunningly shot groundbreaking look into the minds of athletes who expose themselves to fatal risk in their quest for achievement. Also showing is the movie touted as a snow film for the ages, Few Words, which offers a visually stunning insight into the highs and life threatening lows of world champion freestyle/freeride skier Candide Thovex.

The finale evening celebrates the life and times of laconic Australian world champion surfer Mick Fanning, with an encore screening of classic Fanning the Fire before the premiere of MISSING, a film which takes Fanning out of the competition world for 21 days on a life changing global adventure driven by the man considered the greatest surf film-maker of his time, Taylor Steele.

“TILT Festival is a festival of stories, for movie-goers who love stories. Rather then being about action sports, these films are some of the most compelling stories behind its stars, set against a backdrop of adventure that will visually inspire. TILT brings these films to the big screen – where they belong,” says Michael Lawrence Director of Garage Entertainment, responsible for creating the cinema event.

Tickets can be purchased online at http://www.tilt2013.com/

FILM NIGHTS

SNOW | MONDAY 11 NOVEMBER 13   McCONKEY (feature length)

SKATE | TUESDAY 12 NOVEMBER 13 Bones Brigade - Waiting for Lightning

SURF |  WEDNESDAY 13 NOVEMBER 13 Serendipity - Innersection: Black

SNOW | THURSDAY 14 NOVEMBER 13   Few Words - Into the Mind

SURF |  FRIDAY 15 NOVEMBER 13   Fanning the Fire - Missing      

CINEMA LOCATIONS

NSW
Bondi Junction – EVENT Cinema
Cronulla - EVENT Cinema
Newcastle - EVENT Cinema
Shellharbour - EVENT Cinema
Avoca - INDEPENDENT

VIC
Jam Factory - VILLAGE
Geelong - VILLAGE

SA
Marion - EVENT Cinema

QLD
Coolangatta - EVENT Cinema
Pac Fair - EVENT Cinema
Noosa - EVENT Cinema

WA
Innaloo - EVENT Cinema

TAS
Hobart - VILLAGE Cinema

SKATE

WAITING FOR LIGHTNING

Together with DC, Way previewed the then unfinished Waiting for Lightning last year in Melbourne to the skate industry, before returning to Hawaii to finish shooting on his mega ramp there. Ramps of prodigious and dangerous proportions are key to Way’s first documentary, but is as much about how much abuse the body can sustain, how deep you have to dig to survive the betrayals of family, and how high and far dreams can fly. “Once you loose the fear of death you really learn how to live,” he says.

BONES BRIGADE

BONES BRIGADE picks up where Stacy Peralta’s Dogtown and Z Boys left off: when Peralta creates Powell Peralta in 1978 and sets about recruiting unknown amateurs with promising talent including Tony Hawk, Steve Caballero, Rodney Mullen and Lance Mountain. While the team collected their fair share of trophies and pioneered modern technical skateboarding, Peralta’s creation of skate videos enabled skateboarders to control skateboarding and created a new wave of international “stars”.  “When we got into skating you did not get rich and famous. No one did,” says Hawk.

SURF

SERENDIPITY

Serendipity is the story of Aussie surfer Anthony Hussein Hinde who went on a surfing adventure around the world at a time when many of the globe’s best surf breaks were yet to be discovered, becoming a legend through his discovery in the Maldives - after being shipwrecked, This documentary is one of the truly great surf fairytales and features the likes of Bob McTavish, Tom Carroll, Rabbit Bartholomew, and many more.

INNERSECTION: BLACK

Taylor Steele and Nathan Myers’ INNERSECTION: BLACK debuts 13 sections of pure surfing footage produced around the world by surfers themselves for the world’s original open-source freesurfing comp, Innersection.

MISSING

Taylor Steele’s new Surf Movie “MISSING” puts ASP World Champion Mick Fanning in some of the most radical places on the planet alongside his good friends John John Florence, Jordy Smith, Matt Wilkinson and Tom Curren. Under the direction of the world renowned film-maker, the project takes Mick Fanning out of the competition world of the ASP, gives him a boarding pass with a blank destination and for 21 days he is relocated all over the world with only a passport, suitcase and surfboard at his disposal. As a result, the surfing is special, raw and some of the best that you’ll see on screen this year. From Africa and Ireland to Central America and Spain, the experience literally is life changing for Mick Fanning.

SNOW

INTO THE MIND

This is a story of rising to the ultimate challenge. Having the courage to risk fatal exposure and the perseverance demanded on the quest for achievement. These are not solely physical feats, they are mental conquests.

From the creators of the award winning film “All.I.Can”, Sherpas Cinema is proud to present their newest feature film, Into The Mind. With stunning cinematography and groundbreaking storytelling techniques, the Sherpas blur the lines between dream state and reality, and immerse you into the mind of a common skier as he attempts to climb and ski the ultimate mountain. Innovative athlete segments are actually a glimpse into his dreamscape, each one harboring messages that help inform our hero’s current, real-life choices. As you experience the majesty of Alaska, Bolivia, the Himalaya and beyond, Into the Mind paints a philosophical portrait of human kind. How do we balance risk versus reward? Why are we inspired to rise to the challenges in our lives and what do we learn on this journey to attain them?

WIN 1 OF 10 DOUBLE PASSES HERE

This contest ends tomorrow so be quick! Winners can go to whichever night and location they want!

So the first snow one would be skiing, but what’s the second one, Boxy?????

Don’t worry, I just went back and read it!!!!!

Am i wrong in reading there is no snowboarding movies?

Hey guys,

I just added the movie trailers. “INTO THE MIND” has snowboarding in it.

Also, we are giving away 10 double passes to the night and location of your choice. It’s super easy to win and it ends tomorrow, so be quick.

WIN HERE: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/14810/

Went to see “McConkey” last night.

Really enjoyed it. Not as good as The Crash Reel, but still good.

I actually found it very interesting the different family dynamics, McConkey’s never tried to stop his dare devil antics.

KP’s tried to (and succeeded) in discouraging him from pursuing his sport.

And ultimate he is alive today…

The lack of helmet’s worn during Shane’s early days freaked me out! Even though I didn’t wear them back them either! And never thought my friends should either!

*special thanks to Boxy for orgnaising the “couple seat” for Dan and I, it really made the night that much more special - LOL

Meanwhile the free Red Bull meant I was up til all hours!

Going to the Bones brigade/Danny Way one tonight.

Hopefully i dont get Vietnam style flashbacks from the other week and freak out and crawl out of the cinema LOL

haha I’m going tonight too, deano…but I presume you’re going to shellharbour? Freddy and I will be at Bondi Junction.

Yeh heading to the one down my way

I’m going to both surf nights at Bondi Junction. Can’t wait! shaka

Anyone going to either of these nights besides surferguy56?

Bons Brigade was epic! Rodney Mullen is a freaking weirdo but oh so good. His skills are mind blowing

Had to bail before the dANNY wAY VID AS MY LEG WAS GIVING ME GREIF.

*Oh damn, no way im going back and adjusting all that writing LOL

yeah I LOVED it. Both films were great…shame your leg gave you that much grief.

I love Rodney Mullen, too. He is a special guy in every sense of the word.

I drank the sugar/carb free red bull they gave out because it was free but it tasted like ass and it confirmed for me that I much prefer to DRINK WATER!

Thanks Rider for organising the comp and for the free tickets to be there to pick up - much appreciated!

There wasnt any free redbull down here(not that i would have wanted any at 7pm at night), hell there was like 5 people in the cinema, didnt bother me as i got to rest my leg on the headrest in front of me,

deanobruce - 13 November 2013 04:28 PM

Bons Brigade was epic! Rodney Mullen is a freaking weirdo but oh so good. His skills are mind blowing

Had to bail before the dANNY wAY VID AS MY LEG WAS GIVING ME GREIF.

*Oh damn, no way im going back and adjusting all that writing LOL

“*Oh damn, no way im going back and adjusting all that writing” is longer than “dANNY wAY VID AS MY LEG WAS GIVING ME GREIF” hahaha. LOL