The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Frontside/Backside question on box/rail

rider26 - 21 October 2013 08:42 AM

Exactly. mizu

rider26 < Frontside Bladeslide!!!!!

That’s clearly a backside rotation. teacherboy

What you do with your Backside is none of my business!!!!! sick

All rail tricks come from skateboarding. In skating you come on from the side of pretty much every rail. So in skating it’s easy.

If your front is facing the rail as you are jumping on from the side. It’s a Front Side trick.
If your back is facing the rail as you are jumping on from the side. It’s a Back Side trick.

In snowboarding it’s the same. If it’s a “Urban/Street/Side Entry” rail then the same rules apply.
The weird part is that you can also do ride on or gap on rails in snowboarding. So in that case there is no Frontside or Backside 50/50. It’s just a basic 50/50.
If you are facing downhill it’s a Backside Boardslide.
If you are facing uphill it’s a Frontside Boardslide.
Because you are mimicking what you would do on a side entry rail.

Interesting,

I always assumed frontside Boardslide was when you were facing down hill (as in your front is facing in the direction you are going) and Backside was when your back was facing the direction you are travelling.

I can see how you would get that. But nah, there’s no such thing as frontside backside. It’s always on or the other.
For rails - FS or BS is actually decided before you even get on the rail.

So if the front of your body is facing the rail just before you jump on from the side, that’s a frontside rail trick.

For Regular riders any frontside rail trick (on a side entry rail) will start from the left of the rail.
For Goofy riders any frontside rail trick (on a side entry rail) will start from the right of the rail.

Spins in the air are different.
For Spins it’s turning the front of your body towards the landing first, it’s a frontside spin (180 or 720 it’s always the same).

Oh i never thought there was anything called a backside frontside or the like, that sounds retarded haha

Cant say i have ever cared about rail tricks name though. I just do what i do LOL

The flip rotations are worse. They don’t look much different from a 1080,1260 cork to a 1440 cork to me unless the footage is good.

So facing downhill is a boardslide and facing uphill lipslide?
With BS or FS added to the description depending on the approach.

Indeed a Backside Lipslide is difficult.

I was of the same thought as deano and thought that was how most of my buddies described it - obviously I wasn’t paying attention or we’ve been wrong the whole time teacherboy Most likely my attention - stupid brain!

spaz - 13 February 2014 06:39 AM

So facing downhill is a boardslide and facing uphill lipslide?
With BS or FS added to the description depending on the approach.

No, you can slide forwards or backwards for both boardslides and lipslides.

This is my explanation from earlier in the thread:

It’s not about how you slide down the rail, it’s how you approach the rail.

If you are regular:

For a frontside boardslide, you come in from the left side of the rail, thus the rail is in front of you (your chest faces the rail on approach), hence “frontside” boardslide. Yes, even though it’s called a frontside boardslide, you actually slide backwards down the rail.

Using the same reasoning, for a backside boardslide, you approach from the right side of the rail, your back is facing the rail on approach, hence “backside” boardslide. You will however be sliding forwards on the rail.

You might say, but surely you could approach from the left (front facing the rail), and still slide forwards down the rail. Yes, but this is now called a frontside lipslide. If you approach with your back facing the rail and slide backwards down the rail, this is now called a backside lipslide.

If the tail of the board crosses over the rail, you know it’s a lipslide. For this reason, a lipslide is considered a harder trick than a boardslide.

I get it - I think.
But will have to drill it into my memory. Thanks for the explanation (I did read your post 3 times but struggled to get my head around it)

Still, (even though my understanding was wrong) a backside lipslide is possibly the hardest of the combinations.
Approach from righthand side (natural stance), ollie into a BS90 (so tail crosses rail), slide rail with back going downhill (hope not to smash face or ribs on rail).

I think I prefer BS boardslide as the easiest option, followed by FS lipslide (both have me facing downhill). - Is that correct?

But honestly I just hit rails depending on how I feel - which is a bad habit. I need to focus more on the trick I want to do, see it in my head, then drop in. I have no problem following others over rails, I mimic what they do (without any thought to what it is or how difficult) but if I hit rails of my own I find them a little more intimidating and often come unstuck so I usually avoid them.

Still, (even though my understanding was wrong) a backside lipslide is possibly the hardest of the combinations.
Approach from righthand side (natural stance), ollie into a BS90 (so tail crosses rail), slide rail with back going downhill (hope not to smash face or ribs on rail).

I consider the BS lipslide to be the most difficult of the four approaches. I also think it’s the steeziest.

I think I prefer BS boardslide as the easiest option, followed by FS lipslide (both have me facing downhill). - Is that correct?

Each to their own but I guess the BS boardslide is considered the easiest option. Easiest to get on and you’re sliding forwards, which helps. Personally, I would say a FS boardslide is easier than a FS lipslide. It takes a lot more commitment to do a lipslide.

I definately find FS Lip easier than FS Board. I always slip out of FS boards

Interesting. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. wink

K2_TeacherBoy - 14 February 2014 09:06 AM

I definately find FS Lip easier than FS Board. I always slip out of FS boards

I know exactly what you mean. I was able to do FS lipslides before FS boardslides too. It’s all because it just feels like doing a backside boardslide but jumping on from the other side, so it was easier cause I had way more practice with back boards.

I even got backside lipslides before I got front boards on urbans. I guess it’s all about your body being comfortable making the movements (or not lol).

I think front boards on urbans (for people who don’t do them very much) are probably the hardest trick to commit to on an urban rail before you get to spinning on.
I eventually got them down by hitting easy ride on boxes on the very edge, then side entry the ride on box, then taking them to an urban.