The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Anyone else seeing this?

in that case, you are paying for the shirts, not me big surprise

Azz - 11 October 2013 01:05 PM

You’ll be shocked to know that I’ll happily supply the shirt off my own back!  wink

drc13 - 11 October 2013 01:09 PM

You’ll be shocked to know that I’ll happily supply the shirt off my own back!  wink

Just no pics, hey!!!!!

Had a look on a browser summary I have access to and they are all fairly evenly spread. Except Safari which has almost double that of IE or firefox. Safari wins.

IE is in fast decline, it seems to have about 10% more users than mobile browsing.
World wide it looks like mainly china, middle east, greenland, japan, new guinea and africa use IE as their main browser.

If people aren’t savvy enough to ditch Internet Exploder are they good enough for BW?
-jokes-
grin

drc13 - 11 October 2013 01:09 PM

You would, wouldn’t you ya silver tongued devil wink

Got any pics to share with us mate? kiss

drc13 - 11 October 2013 12:17 PM

The other option for people without admin privileges (needed to install new software) is running a portable version of chrome off a usb drive (what I recommended to Blizz)

TJ actually got me onto this.

No need for a USB drive. It saved to the computer I used.

At one point the IT guy noticed it and said “You know I’ll have to uninstall that”

I was all - go ahead “uninstall it” Knowing he would not find it in add remove programs LOL

http://portableapps.com/

TJ is pretty AWESOME! raspberry

And your leaving me wah

I’ll be back… and it’s kind of your fault raspberry

You have to go - i told you that!

Doesn’t mean I’m not going to miss you!!!!

Haha yeah I know. I’m sure we will keep in touch smile. Planning to have Skype, Viber and Whatsapp!

TJswish - 11 October 2013 10:39 PM

Haha yeah I know. I’m sure we will keep in touch smile. Planning to have Skype, Viber and Whatsapp!

Yeah but that doesn’t help me get a new cupboard up my stairs….

ozgirl - 11 October 2013 11:03 PM
TJswish - 11 October 2013 10:39 PM

Planning to have Skype, Viber and Whatsapp!

Yeah but that doesn’t help me get a new cupboard up my stairs….

drc13 - 11 October 2013 12:50 PM
Azz - 11 October 2013 12:40 PM

I was just checking the google analytics for a website we administer and was quite surprised to see that a very low percentage of people us IE. The demographic that uses the site I would of put in the “non tech savy” category.

When you consider how many people use the internet (something like 2.8billion) it doesn’t take many % points to make up a large number.

Going by this source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

Desktop usage of IE in June 2013 measured from 5 different sources was ranging from 20.47% to 57.60% obviously not an exact science but at the lowest 20% figure only something like 560 million people… that’s a lot of free t-shirts!  ohh

You make a very good point. At the moment it looks like about 9% of our users use IE. We definitely want to cater to everyone and not have IE work was a major concern to me too, but it really doesn’t look like there’s anything we can do about it. My developers tell me it’s just not going to work with IE9 and below, as IE9 doesn’t support a lot of the current framework we’re using.

Yeah I’d like to see boardworld flourish (as I’m sur you would especially with the addition of the store) and in my small circle of friends I had already had a few people come to me confused as to why they couldn’t see anything with IE presuming BW was broken again. Unfortunately most people’s initial reaction is to just give up and move to the next site.

I’m no develeloper so it might not be an option or even a good idea but would it be possible for the website to detect the “user agent” of the browser and if it detects IE redirect that user to page with a simple explanation that BW won’t correctly display with their version of IE and here are a couple of possible options they could take i.e upgrade to IE10, use another browser.

This would hopefully reduce the number of new visitors who give up at the first sign up issues.