The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2013 / 2014 - The Community Blog

Whistler Winter - 2013/2014

Photo By Mitch Baker (sponge)

Even though Fall only officially started less than a week ago and the trees are just showing a bit of orange and yellow it’s definitely safe to say that Winter is on the way as we’ve had some snow falling on the peaks for the past week and in some instances down to Glacier Creek so it’s time to get this thread underway as more and more people are arriving in town in preparation for the upcoming winter.

Anyone who has been here before at this time of year can tell you about the anticipation for the season to kick off which has you on edge.. much like a junkie waiting for their next fix, however we’re waiting for the other white powder that mother nature delivers every year wink

Whistler Blackcomb has already started their new season of the Wonder Reels and watching these videos isn’t doing anything but get you even more stoked for the upcoming winter. The three episodes released so far all show how Whistler Blackcomb caters for so many different groups of riders which is one of the main reasons why it has consistently been such a high ranking resort in so many polls worldwide.

Short URL for this thread: http://bwblog.co/whistler1314

The Enchanted Woods

Waffles and Wagers

The Hand-Off

Another great video which sums up what it’s like to ride Whistler was done by Heart Films - It really shows some of the more locally known lines which are one of the main reasons that so many of us keep coming back year after year and in some cases never leaving at all. Thanks to Brad for posting this up earlier in the year as I wouldn’t have seen it otherwise.

Feel free to use this thread to post about anything Whistler related like what you’re doing, where you’ve been riding etc and throw up some photos and videos to share with everyone else over here along with the rest of the Boardworld community spread all over the world.

For those of you coming over here I look forward to meeting you all and going for a shred at the same time, when I’m not working I’m generally riding so I’m up the mountain pretty much every day.

As it’s been said in previous years if you have any questions or need help, please feel free to ask here. There is a stupid amount of knowledge held by those of us on the forums and we are more than happy to help and make sure you have an awesome season whether it’s your first or fifth.

Cheers,
Finney.

p.s. if it’s your first season, you must poach a hot tub…

Welcome to Boardworld, any new members heading over to Whistler this season. Please let us know if you have any questions. Join in, post in this thread, and we look forward to hearing about your adventures in Whistler. shaka

If you haven’t already watched our “When in Whistler” series, check out the series from last season below.

BOARDWORLD PRESENTS “WHEN IN WHISTLER” SEASON 2

We will be over there filming season 3 this season! Keep an eye out for that.

Awesome thread Finney, some great movies in there. I’ll have to try to poach a hot tub in Sun Peaks smile.

Is it just me but in that first movie “The Enchanted Woods” is there a pedo bear come out of the tree house at 1 min hahaha.

Anyway, stickied for everyone to post smile

Hope to catch up for a beer when I’m up there on the 25th October!

Sounds good TJ, I’ll make sure that I’m off work on the 25th.

Stoked to hear that When In Whistler is entering a 3rd season as it’s been a favourite of mine from the past 2 seasons shaka

finney - 30 September 2013 04:09 AM

Stoked to hear that When In Whistler is entering a 3rd season as it’s been a favourite of mine from the past 2 seasons shaka

Sick, I’ll post my Canadian number once I get one.

Even if you have to work, I’ll be there overnight and for the day on the 26th before I head back to Vancouver. So even a few beers and pub food could be on the cards with the BW crew already up there!

TJswish - 30 September 2013 11:34 AM
finney - 30 September 2013 04:09 AM

Sick, I’ll post my Canadian number once I get one.

Even if you have to work, I’ll be there overnight and for the day on the 26th before I head back to Vancouver. So even a few beers and pub food could be on the cards with the BW crew already up there!

For sure TJ, lookin’ forward to it.

Might move to staff housing today otherwise I’ll probably go down to Seattle or something

I was thinking of doing that too, dunno whether to wait for their email or just rock up and ask them can I move in? Had someone yesterday tell me you can move in whenever

Think you have to have a job but then it’s just paying your deposit and moving in. They would probably be keen to fill more rooms earlier if you got a letter of offer.

I will be setting up a proper short URL for this blog, but for now you can use: http://bit.ly/whistler1314

rider26 - 01 October 2013 10:34 AM

I will be setting up a proper short URL for this blog, but for now you can use: http://bit.ly/whistler1314

Can you set me up one for the Sun Peaks blog too if it doesn’t cost anything?

TJswish - 30 September 2013 11:34 AM

Brilliant, looking forward to it buddy.

As for Whistler, if you haven’t already seen it all over the social media outlets such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram there has been a decent amount of snow failing here in Whistler. Saturday night brought some serious snowfall and it hasn’t stopped since, although the freezing level has been moving around a bit which is to be expected so early on, hard to believe we’re still in September really. The alpine is well and truly covered as can be seen in this picture off the Whistler Blackcomb website.

Thats pretty much all of 7th heaven receiving it’s first snow of the season for anyone who is unfamiliar with the terrain here.

Given the snowfall I figured a trip up the mountain was in order so I shot up there with my housemate Sam. After crossing over the crest past the top of Garbanzo above the bottom of Emerald we were greeted with an amazing view of the mountain covered in significantly more snow than we expected.

Pig Alley which is where they measure the snow depth on Whistler

Looking up Upper Whiskey Jack

Looking down Upper Whiskey Jack towards Chic Pea and the top of Garbanzo

View down from the top of Emerald

Sam just taking it all in

Obligatory photo of a snow covered Inukshuk

On the way down the snow definitely got heavier and the rain in the village just didn’t stop last night so I was looking forward to heading up the mountain for work today to see just how much snow we’d actually received. Theres a very high chance that most of it won’t last but even so it’s pretty exciting realising just how close the upcoming season is.

View infront of the truck heading up the mountain today. TO give you an idea this is on greenline just near where it intersects Cruiser just above the halfway mark of the Excelerator Chair.

View out the front of Glacier Creek which is where I’m currently working

The Sun did attempt to make an appearance today but was quickly silenced and then the snow came back and was quite heavy at times throughout the day.

In closing, I promise to buy a better camera as the old iphone isn’t as up to the task as it may have once been.

WOW! grin

sick post finney thanks for all the pics gets us newbies excited for the coming snow fall drool

These photos were sent to me today.

Wow, awesome, so much snow already!

Will be keeping an eye on this thread through the season (as always). Looking forward to your posts finney, as well as everyone elses. Share the stoke!  shred

Have a great season guys shaka