The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

My East Kiewa River Whitewater Kayak/Rafting Trip

For anyone who might be interested here are some photos of my paddling trip i did on the weekend.

We drove up Friday night and camped at Mountain Creek campsite by which is at the bottom of the trail to the Staircase up Mt Bogong. Saturday we paddled the Rocky Valley Creek (or Rocky Valley Branch of the Upper East Kiewa River). I was paddling a kayak this day and we started of with doing the double waterfall drop that i posted as the last photo on the “what are you doing this weekend” thread. Unfortunately our only camera we had this day died as soon as we tried to take a photo! So we didnt get any from Rocky Valley and the waterfalls which was quite disapointing seeing it was my first big drops done in a kayak. The first fall was about 4-5m and the second was about 3-4m.

Anyway the second day we drove up to Orange Bridge ( the single lane bridge you cross when driving from Mt Beauty to Falls Creek) and paddled the Pretty Valley Branch of the East Kiewa River.
We stared off the morning by hiking up the track up river of the bridge towards Fainter Falls. We put in just below the falls and started off. Paddled most the day and finished off in the dam/lake at Bogong Village. Was an awesome day of paddling. I end up jsut paddling a sports raft as the river was up a bit and very techincal, with mostly Grade III+ rapids, with the odd grade IV and a big long steep Grade V rapid.

I feel stoked to have paddled rivers that many paddlers in Australia have yet to do, and most who have, only have done so after many many many years of paddling experience.
We also had a bit of a look in the Bogong Hyrdo Power Station which was cool too. Though we knew a bit more than our tour guide about the river networks involving the scheme. LOL
Have a look at the photos if you would like to see what lies in the valleys around Falls Creek smile

ps let me know if you cant view the photos and i will change privacy settings on the album.

Cheers

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=246685&id=605512605&l=b6aabd6e60

That’s awesome K2, makes me wish I wasn’t sitting here in -15. Photos worked fine, but we are friends on Facebook, so don’t take my word for it.

Cool, thanks guys smile
Mizu, you’ve lost me a bit with Benji Marshall? LOL  confused

hahahahahaha i get ya now

Man that looks awesome fun K2, serious stuff though. Is there a better than average chance of getting smashed up?

Yeh its pretty risky, especially if you dont know what your doing, or even if u do and make one little error or dont respect the river you can get hurt or worse. People have died on these rivers. I swam one rapid after coming out of the boat and my shins got smashed up:

still hurts when i walk!

Hmmm, I best stay away from scary stuff like that. i am way too old for that poo !!!!!

Oh yeah, K2, you have very unattractive legs !!!!!  tongue wink

haha thanks Azz LOL

Arrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Dude thats some scary faeces !!!!!!!!!!!  big surprise