The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Good camrock boards

I’m not really in the market, but have been wondering which of these boards would be a good choice as an all-mountain fun stick.  While I could be sorely tempted by the NS Proto HD that skip has been raving about, I think I prefer camrock to c2.

Jones Mountain Twin 154 - Camrock, mellow magnetraction, 25.0 waist, 7.6m sidecut, 6 flex, -20cm setback?
Fyve Mayhem 155 - Camrock, no magnetraction?, 25.15 waist, 7.9m sidecut, 4 flex, centred stance
YES Greats 154 - Camrock, “tragna-maction”?, 24.9 waist, 7.0/7.6m asym sidecut, “medium” flex, centred stance

The “?” means there was either no info or it wasn’t clear.

Thoughts?  Anyone know if the Greats has a magnetraction type thing or is the the serrated edge deal?

Haha you probably listed my top three “want to ride” boards.

The Greats is now called the ASYM by the way. I expect the new range to be on the YES website very soon.

The Mayhem doesn’t have Magne-Traction.

Tragna-Maction is YES’s version of Magne-Traction. Same thing essentially.

I will find out the specs you’re questioning re: Jones and YES.

I know both the ASYM and Mountain Twin changed slightly for 2014, so just want to double check before saying for sure.

thanks, Jez.  They all look like really nice boards.  Was wondering about the larger sidecut radius on the Mayhem.  Did you find it a bit slow on the turn?  It’s possible I misread their website info as it was a bit sketchy.

I can’t say I noticed any sluggishness whatsoever. The board was great to carve on and responded as good as any board I’ve ridden.

I’m pretty sure there is no serrated edge on the Greats/Asym but I could be wrong. Can you demo both the NS proto and the camrock boards?

Might also be worth chucking Rossi boards into the mix. They have a “Magtek” profile which is very much like camrock (more camber dominant if anything) You also get magnetraction and sintered bases. Other than a god awful graphic I’ve been very happy with my Jibsaw.

Glad to see this thread, I’m currently looking at all my options for a camrock board for my Japan trip, I just don’t think my DC Ply will cut the mustard for 4 weeks of pow

DylanV - 29 August 2013 12:19 PM

Glad to see this thread, I’m currently looking at all my options for a camrock board for my Japan trip, I just don’t think my DC Ply will cut the mustard for 4 weeks of pow

I’m loving magtek/camrock for every day riding at this stage but I have to say I’m not sure if there’s going to be a huge difference between your Ply and a camrock board if you are buying it for Japow duties especially if it gets deep, it’s still a compromise imo.

If you are doing 4 weeks and have decided you want another board I’d be considering going for something built for the job.

You’ll be good enough to be able to ride any type of board in pow but you can certainly make life easier on yourself and your rear leg by making a “better” choice. I’m not saying get a fish but certainly look into something with some taper/setback/rocker in the nose.

What’s the fyve board like that you get included in the package?

Hey Mudhoney - here is some info on YES & JONES…

- The JONES Mountian Twin does have 20mm setback to its stance - yet it is still a very versatile (& amazingly playful) all mountain board (I LOVE this board)

- The YES. ASYM does not have any edge profiling or sidecut disruption (but the TASMANiac & GREATS did).  The ASYM does have some exciting new tech, which somewhat replaces the need for edge profiling…...its called the “pre bent parabolic rails” (longest name ever)! - which increases energy transfer to the edges, and thus edge grip on hard snow (but without ‘disrupting’ with the boards sidecut, so it carves incredibly smooth turns!).

Hope this info helps. If you want to demo either of these two boards, let me know and I can point you in the right direction!

amine - 29 August 2013 03:09 PM

Hope this info helps. If you want to demo either of these two boards, let me know and I can point you in the right direction!

I would love to get my hands on a few Yes boards at the Shred. I rode the TASMANiac 2 years ago and loved it and want to know which one I want for when I go to Canada smile

Cool TJswish - lets get some organised through Jeremy!!!

SIIIICK! If possible, the Jackpot, the trouble and the Greats / ASYM in a 154-156 ish size? They are the main ones I’m looking at smile

Does the trouble come in a non - Tupac / Biggy colour scheme? It looks like the board I’d really enjoy but I don’t know if I can pull off pink top sheet with gangsta rapper on the board lol.

EDIT: Just looked up the 2014 graphics and they are pretty average as well.. :( Guess I’ll just have to sticker the crap out of it if I buy this board raspberry

Hey Mudhoney - here is some info on YES & JONES…

- The JONES Mountian Twin does have 20mm setback to its stance - yet it is still a very versatile (& amazingly playful) all mountain board (I LOVE this board)

- The YES. ASYM does not have any edge profiling or sidecut disruption (but the TASMANiac & GREATS did).  The ASYM does have some exciting new tech, which somewhat replaces the need for edge profiling…...its called the “pre bent parabolic rails” (longest name ever)! - which increases energy transfer to the edges, and thus edge grip on hard snow (but without ‘disrupting’ with the boards sidecut, so it carves incredibly smooth turns!).

Thanks, Amine.  I’m pretty sure the Tasman didn’t have any edge shenanigans? (I have one, as you may remember).  The new tech sounds interesting, will be good to hear some reviews post-shred.

Definitely would love to test out the jones mountain twin

drc13 - 29 August 2013 12:42 PM
DylanV - 29 August 2013 12:19 PM

I’m loving magtek/camrock for every day riding at this stage but I have to say I’m not sure if there’s going to be a huge difference between your Ply and a camrock board if you are buying it for Japow duties especially if it gets deep, it’s still a compromise imo.

If you are doing 4 weeks and have decided you want another board I’d be considering going for something built for the job.

You’ll be good enough to be able to ride any type of board in pow but you can certainly make life easier on yourself and your rear leg by making a “better” choice. I’m not saying get a fish but certainly look into something with some taper/setback/rocker in the nose.

What’s the fyve board like that you get included in the package?

What are you riding atm? (board and size)

The fyve board I get is a solid flat profile, cant say im super stoked, but who knows it might suprise me.

Im not really looking for something JUST for Japan, im more looking for something thats going to keep me happy everywhere I ride, which lets be honest is mostly park, thats why I want to stick to a camber, for the pop and stability.
I remember fineys yes board he had last year at the shred and im almost certain that was a camrock board, the lift on nose & tail was soo much more than my board

DylanV - 29 August 2013 06:05 PM

What are you riding atm? (board and size)

Im not really looking for something JUST for Japan

I’m currently riding a Rossi Jibsaw in 153. Which has the freestyle magtek profile. You’re welcome to demo it whenever you want unfortunately I’ve already trashed the base/edges (keep in mind my original advice to consider Rossi was to Mudhoney, for you I was actually saying it won’t compare to a pow pow board!)

In Japan I rode a Capita Charlie Slasher in 154.

Ok the fact that you don’t want something JUST for Japan mixes it up a little. Basically the attitude I went into it was I’m spending all this money to go to Japan I may as well spend a little extra to make sure I have the right board to make the most of it! It’s also nice to have in the quiver.

In the end you are going to be able to ride any board over there but in 4 weeks riding you could encounter some pretty deep pow.