The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Snowboarding Photography Contest 2013

Title: What A Day…
Date: 26/8/13
Rider: Billy Hayman
Facebook: RickMartinezMedia
Instagram: Rick_Martinez_Media
Photo: Rick Martinez

photo 554091_10201277932764420_178974505_n_zpsd08dfe29.jpg

Title - Tail to back lip
Rider - Jordan Crockford
Resort - Perisher
Instagram - belle_owen

Jump Around!
Date: 31st August 2013
Resort: Thredbo
Defy Gravity Photography
http://www.facebook.com/defygravityphotos

Say It, Don’t Spray It!
Date: 26th August 2013
Resort: Perisher
Defy Gravity Photography

(This is an entry for the Edited category)

Over The Moon
Resort: Perisher’s Universal Outpost
Defy Gravity Photography

(This is an entry for the Edited category)

Falling into the Sky
Resort: Perisher
Defy Gravity Photography

Title: Andy’s Got Talent!
Date: 7/9/13
Rider: Andy Lloyd
Facebook: RickMartinezMedia
Instagram: Rick_Martinez_Media
Photo: Rick Martinez

When is the winner being announced?

This contest is now closed. We will be announcing the winners in approximately 2 weeks from now.

Thank you to everyone for participating.

is there any chance you can get the judges to provide feedback from the 10 photos you guys pick for me??

Rick0889 - 08 October 2013 05:50 PM

is there any chance you can get the judges to provide feedback from the 10 photos you guys pick for me??

me toooo! please tongue

PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST 2013 - RESULTS

Thank you to everyone for entering the 2013 Snowboarding Photography Contest. We would also like to thank Transfer Snowboard Magazine for not only supporting this contest again, but for offering their expertise and feedback in judging.

Here are the winners as determined by the judges at Transfer Snowboard Magazine:

1st place: jameskaiser
2nd place: Southern Snow

Congratulations to you both! Please contact promo(at)boardworld.com.au to claim your prizes.

We are awarding the “best edited” photo to: blizzard_22

Feedback for the top 4 photographers from Transfer Snowboard Magazine:

1st place: jameskaiser
“The colours and composition in your first few shots are awesome. But the vignette is way over-cooked. Especially in the Scotty James sequence. No need to over-edit the shots. The composition in the pole jam shot is great. Try to shoot features away from the park, park shots rarely get run.”

2nd place: Southern Snow
“The shot’s at night are sick. Flash work is very hard. Try to adjust the flash though so the riders board doesn’t become blown out, not easy to do! The Japan photo with the sled is great, good original angle. Unfortunately the other shots don’t do too much for me, try and think about angle a bit more.”

3rd place: Rick0889
“Most of your shots are good, My pick are the shots from the Front Valley park. Be careful how you frame and compose your rail shots, jump shots too. The ones where the guy is in the sky right at the edge of the frame would be too close to the edge of the page in a magazine. But on the contrary placing the rider in the centre of the frame, cropped right in detracts from the photo. You need to capture the whole moment, framing is everything. Also, don’t over edit your shots, a few are quite obviously over saturated or have the contrast ramped right up – less is more.”

4th place: belle.owen
“Jye looks out of focus in the first photo, but the background is sharp, make sure you set your depth of field correctly. The rail shots need better angles to make the shots pop. The pole jam and jump shots are heaps better, but be careful of taking up too much of the shot with the wedge. Composition is key.”

Box Head - 23 October 2013 04:53 PM

We are awarding the “best edited” photo to: blizzard_22

dance  rocker  shaka

yeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Can I ask was this pic the best edited winner?!

It sure was. Great work.

Stoked! Thanks Boardworld and Mikey Rosalky for letting me use the picture of him!