The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

laptops recommendations

Yeh I’m not after anything to hectic. Just for rookie editing and videos and music and net.

Spending around the 500 to 600 mark. Dick smith have some good cheap prices

Those Haswell processor chips wont be in anything under a grand. Find a decent 3rd gen I5 once they come out which is on sale.

The one I posted was 6gb ram, i5 and dedicated graphics… enough to get a fully 2-3 year life out of a laptop (maybe more if you don’t throw them around like some people I know…)

Whenever anyone talks buying a laptop I suggest checking out Grey’s online.

My reconditioned HP laptop is going strong at almost 3 years…

http://www.graysonline.com/computers-and-electronics/computers-and-it-equipment/method-of-sale/buy-now-items-only

i got a toshiba i5 with 4 gig ram and a 2 gig dedicated graphics card for $450 at dick smiths when they had a 50% off RRP sale at the start of the year. Bargains can be found indeed

CPL and MSY seem to have some 3rd gen i5s on sale at present.

Mudhoney - 20 June 2013 09:40 AM

CPL and MSY seem to have some 3rd gen i5s on sale at present.

Cpl and msy ??

ozgirl - 20 June 2013 08:47 AM

http://www.graysonline.com/computers-and-electronics/computers-and-it-equipment/method-of-sale/buy-now-items-only

Are these just second hand laptops with new running gear oz??

Refurbished machines mate.

MSY is a computer store, really cheap like no other store compares…
http://msy.com.au/default.jsp?category=197

Yeh sweet. Ill check it out when I can fis a decent hiding spot at work haha

Mcgoo - 20 June 2013 10:01 AM
ozgirl - 20 June 2013 08:47 AM

Are these just second hand laptops with new running gear oz??

Actually apparently mine was a model that was recalled due to some error so the fixed the fault and sold em again… came with 12 months warranty so i was really concerned that at 12 months it would die in the arse…

but nope its good. Not even running slow!

Lenovo is a quality brand but also cheap, you order the lappy or desktop online and they deliver it to you. every computer/laptop they have is customizable, i.e. you can usually choose the hardware (hard drive size, processor i3 i5 i7, RAM etc).
For what you want I reckon go i5, at least 350 Gb hard drive, 4 Gb RAM and dedicated graphics card. 600 ish bucks from Lenovo I think, its not the prettiest laptop, looks like cheap plastic rather than the ‘shiny, bright, changes colour when its on’ laptops they have nowadays. Mine’s lasted a year and a half AND a one and a half metre drop onto a tiled floor.

An ultrabook is a slimmer, lighter laptop, the main hardware difference is most use some form of a Solid State Drive (SSD) or a hybrid with a Hard Disk Drive (HDD). the benefit of this is reaaaaaaally quick processing time, and no moving parts (as you find in a HDD). This means you can boot it up real quick (fully off to watching a video in about 30 ish seconds) and it can be bumped and moved while the drive is still operational (compared to HDD, where you run into problems as it involves moving parts) so its great for travel. The downside is they are relatively small in storage size and more expensive than the more common HDD.

I’ve only had HDD and mine have all been fine. Who is honestly impatient enough to not wait wait a minute for your regular hard drive to boot?

Hope this helps a little

Blaine_92 - 20 June 2013 11:45 PM

Who is honestly impatient enough to not wait wait a minute for your regular hard drive to boot?

I am, I could never go back to using a HDD. Once you get an SSD you can never go back lol. Ever. LOL

Koper - 21 June 2013 08:35 AM
Blaine_92 - 20 June 2013 11:45 PM

Who is honestly impatient enough to not wait wait a minute for your regular hard drive to boot?

I am, I could never go back to using a HDD. Once you get an SSD you can never go back lol. Ever. LOL

+1 it’s much more than the boot time though (which is handy if you suspend or hibernate) but it’s just the general snappiness when using the OS/Apps.

There’s limited performance returns in faster cpu/ram these days and for standard real world usage patterns quicker I/O is better bang for buck.

Thanks everyone for the info.
I’m probs going to go for some around 500 bucks. With i5, 4gb ram and about 500gb hd.
Seen a couple for that price.

Will upgrade down the track. Just don’t have one ATM and struggling to get by with the iPad hha.

Will let you know what I get smile

Hmm or find what you are thinking, post it on here and go have lunch… check it in an hour and make sure that none of us have told you to stay away lol.