The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Shark Wheels. Someone actually redesigned the wheel.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1537100752/shark-wheel-the-square-skateboarding-wheel-that-sh?ref=category
http://sharkwheelskate.com/shark-tech

Slant towards longboards and cruisers, but potential to cross over into street skating too. I wonder what happens when they start to wear out and the ‘helix’ design is no longer balanced?

What do you guys reckon? Future, or fad?

That’s really cool. I’d give them a go. I just like new things though lol LOL Would be good if they put a video up of someone using them to skate street or park.

they look really good for longboards, but i can imagine them getting jammed up on stuff when grinding street.

How would they wear down? Would it be the same as regular wheels you think? I have a feeling it wouldn’t wear the same and you would be stuck with some funky wheels.

LowGuido - 13 June 2013 09:47 AM

they look really good for longboards, but i can imagine them getting jammed up on stuff when grinding street.

That was my first thoughts too. Could be cool for cruising around, but once you bring in grinds/slides it could cause jamming issues.

This looks super interesting, and they have already exceeded the funds they needed, so this project will be happening. I’m looking forward to seeing them in production and on the market. Props to the dudes who came up with this!

Our Features:

1.  Shark Wheels are faster.  The design allows for a thin contact patch touching the ground and therefore less rolling resistance resulting in a quicker ride. 

2. Shark Wheels have more grip and sliding control.  The alternating pattern equates to increased control - the width is increased, but the friction is decreased!  The sine wave design provides three lips per wheel for superior lateral grip.  A traditional wheel only has one. 

3.  Shark Wheels are better than traditional wheels on varying terrain.  The sine wave pattern smoothly funnels any debris aside instead of it being ‘steamrolled’ over like traditional wheels.  The speed and control on soft surfaces is unreal. 

4.  Shark Wheels are the perfect rain / gravel wheels.  The alternating pattern of grooves significantly reduces hydroplaning by channeling liquid, sand or gravel out and away from the surface of the wheel, allowing for a firm contact patch with the ground.  Also, the rounded edges allow liquid, sand or gravel to pass around the wheel, providing unparalleled grip over wet and loose traction surfaces.

5. Shark Wheels have more design options.  Our wheels allow for graphics and/or piezoelectric lights in the deep grooves in the FACE of the wheel.  A new canvas that never existed before is now available to customize!

6.  Shark Wheels can be customized to virtually any riders preference. Because our wheels are made of sections that can interlock, we will be able to allow riders to mix different durometers (hardness levels) in ONE wheel and allow for endless customization options for the ultimate ride.

I’d be willing to get a set of these as my “filming wheels” to test them out

Are you going to pledge some money to get a set? Do it.  thumbsup

thinking about it. Havent looked into the details of how much and expected dates etc. Will look more into it.

I can tell you though, all the Melbourne crew will be laughing at me if they see me riding with them LOL

if i had a hundred bucks to just throw around i’d be getting a set just for the novelty and if they worked, BONUS LOL but i just spent that money on a new fyve hoodie shaka LOL

I want to buy them for no other reason than just to try them! So freeky.
Not sure what benefit they would have. Is there one?

Im a bit worried how they might flat spot with sliding

I wonder if the influence was from things like golf balls where the surface area is not flat, but dimpled.
Look at things like the snowboard base on brands like Santa Cruz with the Struct Turn, suppose to help with flat sections, wet snow and reducing heat build up.
Definitely something worth trying with longboarding, but as low guido said with street it would most likely lock when grinding.

so weird.. lol

Anyone else get an email from the bloke running this?

Said he got my details from BW?!

Yes I did too.

Maybe it is Jez doing it.