The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Electricity Pricing

Poll: Do you have solar and does it live up to your expectations with electricity pricing?
Total Votes: 11
I don’t have solar, wish I did
I do have solar and it’s cost effective, glad I have it
i do have solar, but it’s still costing me too much wish I didn’t spend the $
I don’t have solar, glad not to.
Mudhoney - 03 June 2013 05:17 PM
Azz - 03 June 2013 05:06 PM

18 degrees.

Do you both have office jobs?

Yes.  At home I usually wear an Icebreaker underlayer t-shirt, a regular cotton t-shirt, a hoodie, jeans and Explorer-alike socks.  I still feel cold in that gear if I’m sitting around for a long time (eg. working at home) and the temp is 18 or under.  On the other hand, when I come in from my bike commute home it sure feels warm!

Haha riding a bike definitely improves the cold immunity

I dont put a jumper on unless it hits around 15 degrees give or take.

My body runs hot, maybe its menopause?!

Okay not going to bother quoting will just makes some statements LOL

Azz I work in an office that is freezing most of the time - my feet weren’t warm all day!

My current housemate is a nurse in a nursing home.

At the moment there are two lights on - the lounge and her bedroom. There would be only one if she sat out in the lounge like a normal person!

It has been known for me to come home to my housemates bedroom light on and the door closed and for the bathroom door to be closed and the light on (9/10 when she does this it is the heater light thats on not the normal light mad that only need to go when you shower !)

I have also woken up in the middle of the night to a light being on… the housemate has gone to bed and left the lights on for me mad

When ever I turn the kettle on it is usually full - irritates the f@#k out of me to put the kettle on full for only one cup. I had a housemate that laughed at me when I raised it.. couple of months later we went to Live Earth togehter and guess what goes on the screen as one of the save energy messages… LOL

Housemate does about 4 loads of washing a week and uses the dryer each time mad she does not that have that much clothing and if she needs to for work ask me to help fill the load. If you still can’t fill a load do two washes then and at least combine the two loads into one dryer load!

I am not perfect but there are some simple things that a monkey can do to save power!

I was leaning towards 18 or 19 for the temp so thanks.

ozgirl - 03 June 2013 08:33 PM

Okay not going to bother quoting will just makes some statements LOL

Azz I work in an office that is freezing most of the time - my feet weren’t warm all day!

My current housemate is a nurse in a nursing home.

At the moment there are two lights on - the lounge and her bedroom. There would be only one if she sat out in the lounge like a normal person!

It has been known for me to come home to my housemates bedroom light on and the door closed and for the bathroom door to be closed and the light on (9/10 when she does this it is the heater light thats on not the normal light mad that only need to go when you shower !)

I have also woken up in the middle of the night to a light being on… the housemate has gone to bed and left the lights on for me mad

When ever I turn the kettle on it is usually full - irritates the f@#k out of me to put the kettle on full for only one cup. I had a housemate that laughed at me when I raised it.. couple of months later we went to Live Earth togehter and guess what goes on the screen as one of the save energy messages… LOL

Housemate does about 4 loads of washing a week and uses the dryer each time mad she does not that have that much clothing and if she needs to for work ask me to help fill the load. If you still can’t fill a load do two washes then and at least combine the two loads into one dryer load!

I am not perfect but there are some simple things that a monkey can do to save power!

I was leaning towards 18 or 19 for the temp so thanks.

good job! And sometimes even if you can’t do something about it, at least you know. Half the battle won right there

Thanks Mum grin

But I do really want you guys to become friendly with my parents!!

Their current routine is as follows.

Gas heat goes on in the lounge in the morning. I think there is a temp that they turn it off at. They open the curtains and the sun keeps the house warm the rest of the day…. the fire gets lit someitme in the afternoon. I wish they had it going all the time or figured out how to channel the heat into the rest of the house!

We have eletric blankets. as a kid the whole house had waterbeds which you could never turn off so I am accustomed to a warm bed most of the time of year LOL. There are heaters in each bedroom but we are allowed to use them :-(

Can wait for the bathroom reno! A bath with shower over it does not get warm! I hate showering at my parents in winter! The bar heater broke last year and dad wont fix/it replace it utnil the reno gets done… we are still waiting :-(

She moves out on Friday - but since its a bit relevant I will let you know what happened at my place last night.

I go to bed about 10 and turn all the lights off. Housemate makes a cup of tea (has to turn kitchen light on) goes back to bed leaves kitchen light on…

It shines under my door so very annoyingly noticable to me so I get and turn it off.

11pm housemate goes to kitchen again to make another cup of tea. Light goes on, hear kettle go on. Kettle goes off and i think she is about to go to bed…

Nope i hear the front door of flat slam… think i must be delusional as half asleep…

10 - 15mins goes past. Light still shining under my door, get up and turn kitchen light off. Notice that her bedroom light is off… Wonder I am am imagining things (who goes out at 11pm at night?) go back to bed. not more than 5mins later she comes back. Kitchen light goes on again. No kettle, couple of minutes later hear her bedroom door close… Kitchen light STILL on!

So 3 times last night - after 10pm - I get out of BED to turn off the kitchen light…. :sigh:

Please flatmate gods send me a better housemate next time!

ozgirl - 04 June 2013 09:06 AM

She moves out on Friday - but since its a bit relevant I will let you know what happened at my place last night.

I go to bed about 10 and turn all the lights off. Housemate makes a cup of tea (has to turn kitchen light on) goes back to bed leaves kitchen light on…

It shines under my door so very annoyingly noticable to me so I get and turn it off.

11pm housemate goes to kitchen again to make another cup of tea. Light goes on, hear kettle go on. Kettle goes off and i think she is about to go to bed…

Nope i hear the front door of flat slam… think i must be delusional as half asleep…

10 - 15mins goes past. Light still shining under my door, get up and turn kitchen light off. Notice that her bedroom light is off… Wonder I am am imagining things (who goes out at 11pm at night?) go back to bed. not more than 5mins later she comes back. Kitchen light goes on again. No kettle, couple of minutes later hear her bedroom door close… Kitchen light STILL on!

So 3 times last night - after 10pm - I get out of BED to turn off the kitchen light…. :sigh:

Please flatmate gods send me a better housemate next time!

Pathetic isn’t it. Being a considerate person when living with others just isn’t that hard. maybe you and I are both delusional… and NO THAT DOESN"T NEED COMMENTS raspberry

Yeah thats crap… I sometimes have to turn the lights off when I’m going to bed… but normally that’s because we all bail from the lounge room and it’s only 8pm or something so there is a good chance we will go back down. That doesn’t bother me.

If someone walked to the kitchen and kept putting the light on (which I could see), I would be pretty annoyed…

Yeah TJ it was more the time of night….

If we were both in our bedrooms at 8pm and someone left the light on - fine.

But last night was just ridiculous!

Tambo - my leaving shit everywhere would get to you over time!! LOL

ozgirl - 04 June 2013 01:43 PM

Yeah TJ it was more the time of night….

If we were both in our bedrooms at 8pm and someone left the light on - fine.

But last night was just ridiculous!

Tambo - my leaving shit everywhere would get to you over time!! LOL

I’m actually pretty good at that myself.

Yeah I’m also really good at leaving shit in the middle of rooms that should be in my bedroom… lol

After the 2nd time you yell out “turn the f**king light off”

THIS ^^^^

or do what I do with the kids,

First offence, a warning.
Second offence, no light bulbs for 24 hours.
Third offence, No light bulbs for 1 month.

Wildman went just over 12 months with no lights in his bedroom.

Hahaha

hahah classic