The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Electricity Pricing

Poll: Do you have solar and does it live up to your expectations with electricity pricing?
Total Votes: 11
I don’t have solar, wish I did
I do have solar and it’s cost effective, glad I have it
i do have solar, but it’s still costing me too much wish I didn’t spend the $
I don’t have solar, glad not to.
ozgirl - 03 June 2013 02:28 PM

So tambo how cold does it have to be in your house before you light the fire?

Azz - 03 June 2013 10:07 AM

12 degrees and under

I thought you were joking Azz!

I grew up in a fridge (the house in jindy is slightly better… but you know that no one could tell the differecne between the sandwich that was two weeks old and the fresh one made that morning during last season, cause my room was/is that cold there!).

And I refuse to live like that as an adult. Its my money etc.

But also don’t want to waste money/green house gas and the like!

This may sound obvious, but if you stay moderately physically active around the house you will feel a lot warmer.  I find if I’m sedentary for a long period (1 hr+) then I really start to feel the cold even if I’m rugged up or turn the heating up higher.

We’re about to do a home reno and we’re going to insulate the place well, in fact we more or less have to to meet energy rating requirements.  I’d love to do solar electricity but I’m actually thinking of maybe doing a solar hot water system instead.  At the home show a couple of months back I saw a ventilation system that draws the warm air from your roof cavity (obviously on works for peaked roofs) and pumps is back into your living areas.

Right so i tend to veg out in front of the TV Mud…

No one is helping me come up with a realistic number!!!

ozgirl - 03 June 2013 03:59 PM

Right so i tend to veg out in front of the TV Mud…

No one is helping me come up with a realistic number!!!

Get a bean bag for your TV sessions - they are filled with nice, insulating foam beans!

We usually have our house thermostat set to 18degC.  If we’re feeling particularly cold we set it to 19 for awhile.  We find the heater doesn’t have to work hard to keep it at 18.  We have a central heater with zoning, so we close up parts of the house and don’t heat those.

Yeah can’t section off my place… its too hard.

I have the problem of the housemate having their bedroom window open on 45 deg days too!

If they aren’t home I close their door. but if they are i can’t.

I try to keep bathroom door closed but they don’t really care about that either…

ozgirl - 03 June 2013 04:35 PM

Yeah can’t section off my place… its too hard.

I have the problem of the housemate having their bedroom window open on 45 deg days too!

If they aren’t home I close their door. but if they are i can’t.

I try to keep bathroom door closed but they don’t really care about that either…

get one of these.

Get then in Australia from Snow Stuff Steve !!!!

http://selkbag.com.au/store/

Um no… again see my point about wanting to be comforatble in my own home!

Also even if I did do that I can’t force my housemate to wear it… So they would possibly want to put the heat on (and leave their bedroom window open!!!) and I woudl be payign for heat i wasn’t needing!

Ideally what I would like to come up with is a temp in winter where we both agree that it is okay to turn the heat on, and a summer temp to turn the a/c on.

That way there is no arguing whent he bill comes.

I need a number that I can start the discussion with,

I reckon below 18 should be the trigger.

18 degrees.

Do you both have office jobs? Being in a heated / cooled office will affect your comfort level.

We can get away with 16 ish no probs, but its only 10 - 12 in the workshop at a Max each day.

ps. I was fibbing when I said 12, sort of….. we will light the fire when it is less than that, but it stays on all day, so if the temp gets above that, its still ticking away smile

I did a winter in my old house with no heating what so ever*

Coldest it got was 12 degrees.

*had a small heater downstairs for my old dog, Doug. Poor old bugger took 30 mins to get going in the morning, with a little heat each night, only took 15 mins smile

we go to the snow, stay lodges, and seriously it’s just too warm. We are wearing tshirts inside which to my mind is plain ridiculous. It’s really nice to have winter be winter, not a pretend summer, and to be able to rug up. I actually LIKE wearing my boardworld beanie all day. It’s not arctic in here, it’s just not summer. And as i said, once the fire goes on, it pretty much stays ticking away, which is waaayyyy more efficient than lighting it, letting it go out and getting cold then repeat. We use less wood, the house stays warmer, the floor provides good thermal mass.
where I draw the line is curtains. I don’t want those nanny things in my house. So thats where our heat loss is and we
d fix that if we could afford double glazing. (One door is, on our north facing bedroom, and man that makes a huge difference, particularly in summer).
It’s funny how I never really think about this stuff much except when we go to the city and see such a different way of living.
When we were in Europe, the warmth in the houses was great, but in UK, man there was NOTHING and it was arctic. General design of houses has changed too, with more thought today about the effect of insulation and energy efficiency etc.
Now, how many lights do you have on right now. My mean husband keeps taking our light bulbs, so we pretty much live in the darkness…..only joking, but taking a kid’s light bulb for a while is a sure fire way o teach them not to leave their lights on! snake

Azz - 03 June 2013 05:06 PM

18 degrees.

Do you both have office jobs?

Yes.  At home I usually wear an Icebreaker underlayer t-shirt, a regular cotton t-shirt, a hoodie, jeans and Explorer-alike socks.  I still feel cold in that gear if I’m sitting around for a long time (eg. working at home) and the temp is 18 or under.  On the other hand, when I come in from my bike commute home it sure feels warm!

Haha, I meant Ozzy and her Flat mate !!!