The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Electricity Pricing

Poll: Do you have solar and does it live up to your expectations with electricity pricing?
Total Votes: 11
I don’t have solar, wish I did
I do have solar and it’s cost effective, glad I have it
i do have solar, but it’s still costing me too much wish I didn’t spend the $
I don’t have solar, glad not to.

Just having a whinge about receiving another price hike for electricity. Yep, we have solar, and have worked hard to cut our usage so that we are pretty much able to live off the electricity we generate. Today, our pricing is Peak, up to 35.75c/kWh, Off Peak 19.58 Service to Property 110.0/day. Reason given solar customers, (that’s us) cost too much so we are putting your prices up. We are on a pretty good wicket as far as our PFIT tarrif goes.. we got in at the 60 cents/kWh, but the cost of the system was pretty high. I hate it when you think you are doing the right thing, by the family, community and the planet, at a pretty high $cost, and then get slammed later “to make things fairer”.

So how much do you pay? (it will either make me feel a whole lot better smile , or a whole lot worse! downer )

Um you want my total bill of per unit price?

I shopped around to get a good deal but (a couple of moths ago) I got my neighbours bill in the mail and openned it not knowing it wasn’t mine.

They pay less than me and I have been meaning to use it as bargaining power to swap for a while now but I keep forget…

Like I remember now when I am at work and don’t have the bill/s in front of me!

I also pay the “premium” for green electricty - so what we all pay a premium for solar??? Bit of a rort if everyone paying a premium (but not begrudging that solar people get the solar free if you get me..)

I want to know the cost/kWh. That’s the only way to compare really….and the free solar came at an upfront cost of many thousands. When we installed, we expected it to be about 8 years to “break even”. Now it’s more like 12 years. I think it’s rorting everyone!

Will let you know tonight - if you promise to remind me to shop around!

Dunno if I’m glad that I didn’t get it put on or not, and not sure about the cost of our power per KW!!!!!

But we did just get our biggest bill ever, at $320!!!!!

* We don’t have Gas connected either!!!!!

What the???

Mizu my tiny 2 bed apartment was just $445 (i know how much the whole bill was just not the per unit amunt!) I only got the bill Monday!

Thats per quater - is your monthly Mizu?

Nah, mine’s per quarter!!!!!

Mine per quarter is around 450-500 (Depending if people run those “cheap” heaters…)

We have an always on server and a really old crappy fridge which probably contribute to more than they need to and 3 people in the house (with regular visitors)

$275-$300 per quarter for me with APG prompt payment discount.

We have six solar panels and I feel it greatly reduces our electricity bill. On of our recent bills was for like $11 or something. Granted we are quite energy conscious, but it still definitely helps in the long run.

Tambo - 31 May 2013 11:03 AM

Just having a whinge about receiving another price hike for electricity. Yep, we have solar, and have worked hard to cut our usage so that we are pretty much able to live off the electricity we generate. Today, our pricing is Peak, up to 35.75c/kWh, Off Peak 19.58 Service to Property 110.0/day. Reason given solar customers, (that’s us) cost too much so we are putting your prices up. We are on a pretty good wicket as far as our PFIT tarrif goes.. we got in at the 60 cents/kWh, but the cost of the system was pretty high. I hate it when you think you are doing the right thing, by the family, community and the planet, at a pretty high $cost, and then get slammed later “to make things fairer”.

So how much do you pay? (it will either make me feel a whole lot better smile , or a whole lot worse! downer )

I have never really sat down and looked into my bill properly until this thread. Its pretty interesting.
cost is peak 24.25 c/kWh, off peak 8.47 with Origin. Latest bill was around $205, its a 3 bedroom shitty beach shack so the bills go up a little in winter when the winds starts whistling through the cracks in the floorboards but it doesn’t go up too much. I just worked out that we use 8 kWh a day. That is off the bottom of the chart on the bill that you use to compare house hold consumption in your region by house size. But you have to remember that there is only two of us and we don’t use many appliances etc. maybe if I didn’t boil the kettle 20 times a day it would be even less.

The number of kWh we used offpeak is more than peak. Would that be all down to the hot water system? I can’t think of another reason.

Our gas and electricity combined has been about $250/q in our new place. We have gas water heating and cooktop. Ducted rc/ac. Double glazed windows in main living areas.

CRACKERS - 31 May 2013 08:15 PM

I have never really sat down and looked into my bill properly until this thread. Its pretty interesting.
cost is peak 24.25 c/kWh, off peak 8.47 with Origin. Latest bill was around $205, its a 3 bedroom shitty beach shack so the bills go up a little in winter when the winds starts whistling through the cracks in the floorboards but it doesn’t go up too much. I just worked out that we use 8 kWh a day. That is off the bottom of the chart on the bill that you use to compare house hold consumption in your region by house size. But you have to remember that there is only two of us and we don’t use many appliances etc. maybe if I didn’t boil the kettle 20 times a day it would be even less.

The number of kWh we used offpeak is more than peak. Would that be all down to the hot water system? I can’t think of another reason.

We try and do as much off peak as we can, ie do the washing, run the dishwashers etc. Off peak for us is midnight to 7am, and all weekends. With solar, we try and use as little energy as possible during the peak period, as this is when we generate our elec, and hence $. I don’t think there are many more ways to minimise usage….. our daily useage, and we are both working from home, have 4 kids, and a stupid pool, was 15kWh, so I guess that’s not too bad.Winter bill went up 0.5kWh.

Tambo - 01 June 2013 06:53 PM
CRACKERS - 31 May 2013 08:15 PM

We try and do as much off peak as we can, ie do the washing, run the dishwashers etc. Off peak for us is midnight to 7am, and all weekends. With solar, we try and use as little energy as possible during the peak period, as this is when we generate our elec, and hence $. I don’t think there are many more ways to minimise usage….. our daily useage, and we are both working from home, have 4 kids, and a stupid pool, was 15kWh, so I guess that’s not too bad.Winter bill went up 0.5kWh.

15kWh is pretty darn good! thats better than mine with two people. feck now i have to try harder haha

blizzard_22 - 31 May 2013 11:12 PM

Our gas and electricity combined has been about $250/q in our new place. We have gas water heating and cooktop. Ducted rc/ac. Double glazed windows in main living areas.

Double glazed windows was a smart move!

House holders in Qld are facing 21% increase power bills start next month… Not happy jane!

Current price = Qld 23 c/kWh USA 9 c/kWh