The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Method debate

Would you guys say grabbing the board outside the front bindings considered a method? I know some guys who insist that methods should be grabbed between the bindings but the some of the best method I’ve seen has been grabbed in front of the bindings. Some examples:

Craig
Terje
Nico
Stephan Maurer

So why is it that some guys insists that methods must be grabbed between the bindings.

Here’s Pat Moore explaining the method. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Cx8tq87c0

Just throw em! I think the most important part is to make sure you are tweaking it right. Pat explains the two types based on how wide your stance is, never really though about that myself.

Okay so the reason some people don’t think a method can be grabbed outside the bindings is like any grab, usually if you are grabbing a different part of the board… hey… it’s a different grab. Simple.

Most of our grabs come from skateboarding and only a few were developed on the snowboard. I think it’s kinda important to pay respect to that. I always try and keep true to the skateboard terminology as much as possible. (ie. A switch frontside spin is NOT a cab spin, unless you switch nollie into it. SO DON’T SAY IT! Just say switch frontside, like you say switch backside. I don’t care how many stupid commentators said it, it’s wrong).

In skateboarding the method like grab where you grab outside of the feet (i believe, correct me if I’m wrong) is called a Cross-Bone. Very cool trick and considered a totally different trick. So I think that’s why some people don’t like you calling it a method.

However,
1. A snowboard has more area to grab than a skateboard. The area between the nose and the bindings is an area that skaters almost don’t have. So it’s almost a tweaked and boned nose grab when skaters do it.
2. Skaters will often do the “bad method” that Pat described (I don’t think it’s that bad) where as Snowboarders tweak there’s to the front a lot more. So for us the only difference between a Cross-Bone and a Method is a simple move of the hand.
3. So it seems for that reason, Snowboarders just didn’t bother saying Cross-Bone. They just said “Hey, it’s a method, done with different styles”.

That’s how it seems to me anyway. It makes sense to me and I’m cool with that.  shaka

1000 words

LowGuido - 04 May 2013 03:03 PM

1000 words

And not one of them says “Method”!!!!!  LOL

its obviously all about the tweek

Mizu Kuma - 04 May 2013 03:09 PM

1000 words

LOL

an indy crossbone is when you bone your front foot towards your toe side

Andy Aitken - 04 May 2013 07:41 PM
Mizu Kuma - 04 May 2013 03:09 PM

1000 words

LOL

LOL

but just to clear it up on that pic, its exactly the same spot as melon, just completely different tweak, but dont take me as the fussy caller on grabs, you can get away with calling just about anything you do whatever you like without me caring,

do a tindy and try convince me it was something else,

Gamblor - 04 May 2013 11:13 PM

an indy crossbone is when you bone your front foot towards your toe side

Yep, sure is. But that’s another different grab.

Crossbones are when the front hand grabs somewhere on the heel edge and tweaks the board.

Indy Crossbones are a variation with a similar tweak but grabbing Indy with the rear hand. So they look a little different because the tweak can’t work the same way. It looks a lot simpler, pretty much just an indy with a shifty.

Hey guys

To give a visual, I found 2 Crossbone trick tips. One is a crossbone grabbing Melon and the other grabbing Lien (just like 2 ways we do Methods on a Snowboard. Easier to just watch then try and explain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPZRlhVWRe0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbIPLz18nJg

The funny thing is that a normal Method Grab is the one that Pat Moore says not to do in that trick tip vid that skip posted lol.
I personally don’t think there is anything wrong with just doing normal Methods and you see them quite a lot amongst pipe riders. But Pat is right, the Crossboned version is way cooler. And they have been called Methods in snowboarding for so long, I don’t think it’s worth arguing over.

Call it a Method or call it a Crossbone and grab where ever you want on the heel edge, it doesn’t matter. They both look sick.

send it big, tweek it hard, no one car argue with that shaka

Agreed!

bkrtron - 04 May 2013 08:44 AM

Just throw em! I think the most important part is to make sure you are tweaking it right. Pat explains the two types based on how wide your stance is, never really though about that myself.

This.

Here’s a normal Method without tweaking it to the front. I don’t see the problem, I think they can look pretty sick if you really arch into it.

@Andy: Yep, looks like a Nico method there.