The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Thredbo 2013

Jindy has 3G but with the amount of people accessing the network none of the providers are great. The best place is Bullocks Flats - small amount of people accessing one tower.

In 2011 I had three different usb sticks and 2 providers, when one dropped out I would change. I built a mock dish from foil to improve reception.

If you can get a landline connection you and your flatmates wont regret it.

When in Thredbo - if you can turn off 3g on your phone you’ll save heaps of battery. On my iPhone4s I was getting a few days per charge, with iPhone3g 2days (wifi and 3g off).
Compared to Thredbo Jindy has good reception but not compared to places that have the Infrastructure of towns with populations of 20,000.
The network in Jindy is built for the summer population (3,500) not winter (18,000-20,000).
In thredbo and Perisher they can’t handle the winter population. Often last year in P I waited 20min for a BW page to load. At one stage I caught the tube down just to use the internet at Bullocks!

Thredbo - best place for a beer away from work is House of Ullr - especially when jock is playing (monday and Friday nights (?)).  Spend this season finding how to get a place in Thredbo for next year and experience a real season working in the snow.
I’ve met many a Troopy driver at Ullr so the boys can have one for the road.

I don’t know much about Jindy. In my mind it’s a waste of time, a zoo that city kids corrupt instead of coming to the mountains to experience mountain life.
What I do know is most people end up spending more time drinking in Jindy than riding on the snow. And end the season without a cent saved because of their party expenses.

spaz - 13 May 2013 10:06 PM

I don’t know much about Jindy. In my mind it’s a waste of time, a zoo that city kids corrupt instead of coming to the mountains to experience mountain life.
What I do know is most people end up spending more time drinking in Jindy than riding on the snow. And end the season without a cent saved because of their party expenses.

Except for me eh Spaz raspberry

in all honesty neither resort will ever have enough housing on the mountain for all the staff so thats an unrealistic claim either!

You’ve earned your strips Oz - a snowbum for sure!
And you spend more time on snow through the season and more time on the road for your snow fix than most.
You might stay in Jindy but your don’t spend much time there. Do you even see Jindy in daylight over winter?

Thredbo used to have plenty of staff on the hill. The “claim” isn’t a claim that all staff should live up there, more a suggestion for Danny to look into. In the time I worked in resorts I’ve spent 6 weeks living off the hill - 6weeks that I barely spent time sliding.

Said it so many times; Those 2hrs spent travelling to Jindy a day are 2 hrs I spend either: sleeping, waxing, drinking, tunning snowbunnies, eating, working a second job, SNOWBOARDING or watching snow fall.

The worst thing is when you have a day off. In Jindy it might be rain, overcast and windy while the top off the resort is puking. Live in Jindy wake up from a night on the piss, look outside and your hungover mind will keep you in bed. Or it might be sunshine and lollypops you get up the hill and it’s miserable.
Live in the resort, even after being out drinking till 3am, wake up at the foot of your bed curled up on a pile of clothes with a random hottie punter you pulled, glance out the window to see freshies while you hear the houshold clambering for their gear - IS THE BEST HANGOVER CURE ON EARTH. Those are the days that working in a resort are for.
Live in Jindy and you’ll never experience them.

spaz - 14 May 2013 08:21 AM

Do you even see Jindy in daylight over winter?

Um Yeah…no!!

Well maybe dawn (gee that makes me sound like a partier! I wish!) but never in the evening. I am lucky to make it off the mountain when its light during the shorter days!

See, Lucky you! Jindy in winter is a hole, it’s best you don’t see it.

Over a whole season +150hrs is spent travelling back and forth to Jindy, if you live there.

But not everyone can live in Thredbo! Its physically impossible.

It is perfectly acceptable to live in Jindy.

If living in Jindy is the difference to someone doing a season or not then don’t discourage them.

I also know that Andy lives in Jindy and does not fall down a black hole as you have described!

Hmmm you expanded on post #33 which i didn’t see.

I 100% disagree with you.

I have never know a single person to miss a pow day due to what you have described above.

And you know if they are too lazy to drive up the mountain they are possibly too lazy to get out of bed even if living in Thredbo!!!!

Spaz how many days have you and I been in Thredbo together and have not ridden together because you are still in bed?? tongue laugh

I personally think living in Jindy forces you to have more on snow time because you don’t d!ck around so much. Well i didn’t.

ozgirl - 14 May 2013 09:02 AM

Hmmm you expanded on post #33 which i didn’t see.

I 100% disagree with you.

I have never know a single person to miss a pow day due to what you have described above.

And you know if they are too lazy to drive up the mountain they are possibly too lazy to get out of bed even if living in Thredbo!!!!

Spaz how many days have you and I been in Thredbo together and have not ridden together because you are still in bed?? tongue laugh

I personally think living in Jindy forces you to have more on snow time because you don’t d!ck around so much. Well i didn’t.

My old housemates when I lived there went up to the chain bay on the best day of the season and didn’t want to put chains on and therefore bailed on the day.

They paid over a grand for season passes and did about 4 days each that year… teacherboy

I do agree with what spaz is saying. Kim, you have an incredible passion for the snow which is bloody awesome, but I think you are in the minority with in regards to your motivation levels. I am pretty motivated as well and I love snowboarding as much as possible, but having lived in Jindy and Thredbo, and also on-mountain and off-mountain in Whistler, having to drive or catch a bus definitely makes the effort required on a less appealing day much higher. There have been days I have ridden at Thredbo or Whistler, which I probably wouldn’t have if I needed to drive for 30 minutes or catch a bus. For me at least, it definitely comes into play. That said, I’ll be there on a powder day, even if I have to crawl. wink

I do agree with Spaz if it was an ideal world.

But I don’t agree with making Danny feel shit because he is not living in Thredbo.

Your season is what YOU make of it!!

You want to get the most hours on snow - you can still do that if you live in Jindy. The choice is yours.

As I keep saying - there is not enough housing capacity to have all staff on snow. So the reality is most people have to live in Jindy.

There is no shame in that!

TJswish - 14 May 2013 09:28 AM

My old housemates when I lived there went up to the chain bay on the best day of the season and didn’t want to put chains on and therefore bailed on the day.

They paid over a grand for season passes and did about 4 days each that year… teacherboy

There is shame in this ^^^ however

Agreed! I was shocked at them…

rider26 - 14 May 2013 10:05 AM

I do agree with what spaz is saying. Kim, you have an incredible passion for the snow which is bloody awesome, but I think you are in the minority with in regards to your motivation levels. I am pretty motivated as well and I love snowboarding as much as possible, but having lived in Jindy and Thredbo, and also on-mountain and off-mountain in Whistler, having to drive or catch a bus definitely makes the effort required on a less appealing day much higher. There have been days I have ridden at Thredbo or Whistler, which I probably wouldn’t have if I needed to drive for 30 minutes or catch a bus. For me at least, it definitely comes into play. That said, I’ll be there on a powder day, even if I have to crawl. wink

I had a few days like that. Especially when getting into spring slush. The 30min+ commute each way was not worth the few runs I was going to do since I was riding solo and had already done about 30+ days prior to them. Some times you just want to watch a movie in bed.

If I had of been living on the snow, I would have gone for a ride for 2 hours or so and then bailed to my bed wink

That being said, if I did another season, I’d make sure I lived on snow and I would probably try to make more riding friends and probably work for the mountain.

Hmmm, not sure on where I stand on this one.
I actually love Jindy as a town. But the travel does suck. A lot!

I used to stay in Willow lodge on the hill to work in Smiggins. Great location.
But a room full of 4 people? Not so great. You never have the room to yourself at any stage in the season… I don’t think I have to explain why this sucks. But I would rather stay on the snow. Period.

Jindy is a beautiful town. Yes it’s full of clubs loaded with city kids. But it also has chilled pubs filled with local. (Sunday Steak night is my thing).
Smiggins pub was Awesome, but Jindy clubs don’t interest me at all.
And now I’ve given up drinking so none of it is very relevant to me, except to catch up with friends.

I know for a fact that Perisher intends to make a town right where the Perisher car park is. If that happens… When that happens, I’m buying a flat.
Until then, like Oz, I love the snow enough to make a commute. If the rest of Jindy wants to be drunk instead of shredding… that’s their own fault. So I say let them fund the town while you sleep, and then you can shred the next day while they are still nursing hang overs.
Thanks Sydney mwahahaha evil