The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Thredbo 2013

Ozgirl used to work in reception for the hotel.

TAH operate all the bars I listed, you will be shuffled around. Most likely you’ll work the Bistro since you driving the troopy. I don’t think if you work Keller or Schuss they put you off the hill (I could be wrong).
Schuss is fun if it suits you but they mostly staff it with girls. Keller is a pita.

I currently run a bar in Thirroul, have been in hostpitity for… A long time!
Some love working for the company others have horror stories.

DannyB - 11 May 2013 02:38 PM

The penalty rates will be excellent. Despite working in the hospitality industry for 3 years, while studying and such, I haven’t received penalty rates, yet. this is due to some BS ‘rewards agreement’... Oh well, I guess!

Edit, Holy crap Ozgirl, I love your profile picture. haha. Is that mean, that I like it!? haha.

Hahaha!

Not mean that you love it - its sooo me (but not me actually me LOL)!!!

I hope I am right about the penalty rates and not got you excited for nothing… I worked at thredbo pre enterprise bargaining…

There will be a bunch of us in Jindy for the LWE. If you are not up working at Thredbo (but suspect you are with the troopy gig - good work on that one) you should come out for drinks with the boys and I - taking a wild stab in the dark I am the only girl…

ozgirl - 11 May 2013 11:28 PM

taking a wild stab in the dark I am the only girl…

Deano is a bit of a girl sometimes cool smirk

This is true!

Yeah, the Bistro is a cool place. I like hanging there with friends and family so should be good, if that’s the place. Hell any place will be good. So long as I don’t have one of these ‘horror stories’ :/

“Schuss is fun if it suits you but they mostly staff it with girls.” Sounds perfect, the gender ratio would be excellent haha!

...Hopefully not Keller then!!

No, no, I believe you’re right about the penalty rates. A PDF they sent me stated:
“Monday to Friday: 25% of base rate: Saturday and Sunday penalties are also applicable. These are above award payments under the ARA.”
smile

The troopy will be interesting.. He said that doing that would mean I’d mainly be on nights.

Penalty rates to drive the Troopy home LOVE it!

DylanV - 12 May 2013 11:14 AM

Sometimes?

deanobruce - 12 May 2013 07:31 PM
DylanV - 12 May 2013 11:14 AM

Sometimes?

Most of the time LOL

Biggest problem with bistro is putting up with the yokal barflies and pokie slappers or getting caught up in the smoking section listening to the same story repeated week in/out.(jokes).

A few terms to help you out.
“yokal” = long term local who lives there year round (there are about 150), mostly they are business owners with sour attitudes (especially toward KT).
“local” - a seasonair who stays in Thredbo over winter while working. Yokals are also referred to as locals.
“part of the woodwork” - people like me who have done enough seasons and return every season, otherwise known as a snowbum, also referred to as a local - not quite a yokal - they think they know everything (and usually do) their knowledge is only trumped by a yokal, easily spotted as they often associate with yokals but not the (worker) locals.
NOTE: These are terms as defined by me - they are spazdoms and not fully appreciated by everyone.

I left out KT in a previous post, this is the term used for Kosciuszko Thredbo - the company.
If you work for “The Company” it usually means Perisher. If you work for Thredbo it’s called “KT”. The department you work for within KT is “The Hotel”, then you name the bar.
In conversation; “Hi, my name is Danny, I work for KT, at The Hotel, in the Bistro/Lounge Bar/Cascades/Keller/Schuss.”
But you will become known as; “Danny, who drives the troopy for KT.”

BTW the internet sucks in Thredbo. Vodafone only works every second week (if your lucky - no joke). Optus is better but no 3G on either network. For internet go to HotShots (fastest internet in Thredbo - don’t get stuck using the hotels woefully slow connection or using the frustrating AirLan). Tell HotShots your a local for much better rates. Early in the season you will meet Randy, have a chat with him (tell him you drive the troopy), if you use it regularly you may get an even better rate. If Randy is busy he wont talk, if he isn’t it’s worth the effort - he is part of the woodwork (40years of woodwork).

That’s gonna be some incredibly handy info, thanks Sebastian!!

I’m hoping, and assuming, the internet is half decent in Jindy? 3G?

Any other random info you can think of, that might be helpful, let me know! smile

Well Kim, I’m unsure about the pay for the troopy, I assumed you were talking about the bar/bistro job originally, whoops! For the bus, I wonder if I’ll be paid X amount per trip, or per hour..

DannyB - 13 May 2013 12:23 PM

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Actually, it’s much better in Jindy than it is in Thredbo.

Only Telstra gives you anything remotely decent, though.

DannyB - 13 May 2013 12:23 PM

In 2011 Telstra was shite. My parents house has line of site to the tower and nobody could use their Telstra phones at all.

Last year they put in a new tower and it was better but I still thought Optus was better than Telstra (my whole family are on Optus mobile)

But most Townies disagree - A lot of people get Telstra phones even tho they are a PITA to deal with because of this.

So I wont deny Telstra is the best but I am also saying I have not noticed Optus is crap.

Telstra sucks balls. However throughout season 2011, spaz constantly had problems getting good reception with his Optus and Vodafone USB WiFi hubs in the apartment - whereas the Telstra connection beeseekay and I used on our iPad worked flawlessly all the time.

3G on my phone (Optus network) works in some places in Jindy, but hardly at all in Thredbo, Perisher or The Station - but our Telstra Mobile WiFi hub was awesome pretty much everywhere.

I wish it was the other way around. I don’t like Telstra at all.

ozgirl - 13 May 2013 05:59 PM

Can’t wait to see the same pic tomorrow!