The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

How to make skateboarding more affordable?

Decks and shoes are very expensive and i see people online that go through decks and shoes every 2 or 3 months.
Decks are about $100 and shoes are the same if not more and if i have to buy 3-4 decks and pairs of shoes it will cost around $800 a year and i dont have that kind of money.

Is there any way to make skating more affordable like cheaper decks and shoes that are still good quality or places to buy from that have sales where i can get cheap stuff?

I really enjoy skating and would hate to have to stop over money.

Hey Bazza1 welcome to Boardworld.
You have raised a valid question with the price of skating and especially if you are skating regularly you will go through things quicker. For some board maintenance tip check the video in this thread.
https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/4933/
It helps heaps doing things like that as it prolongs your board and all its parts.
With decks buying discounted decks at your local skate store can help or even supporting local brands can help your pocket heaps. Local brands tend to be considerable cheaper and sometimes come out of the same factory as the bigger more expensive brands. Other times the quality is even better than the big brands.
Shoes wise, making sure you buy proper skate shoes always helps. Reason I say that is sometimes a skate shoe company releases a shoe that is a chill shoe not a proper skate shoe. So with them they will die really quick.
Using super glue or shoe goo on the main stitching areas will help the shoes last longer.
For getting cheaper shoes, shop around and see what is out there. Keep popping into your local shops and see what deals they have going on and the more local you become the more likely they will give you discounts.
I hope this helps you out mate and keeps you on board.

Support your local scene and you will save money. 24 Skateboards I seen the other week had a $24 sale, all boards $24 each. It’s peanuts for a new board and you could get 4 for the price of an American company. Shoes are a lot harder not much in a local scene unless you find deals in your shops for reduced stock. I have had shoes which have lasted a month then blown out with no grip left on the bottom of them due to the rubber used. Look for the brand and styles which last the test ie Emerica or Vans.

Dam I need to try one of these 24 decks and at $24 each that is awesome.
Vans I found can be a little bit on that flimsy side, but all comes down to the style that you have.

THey are $45 most the time, but the boys always do awesome deals! Im bout to order another one. Mine feels dead after not riding it for 3 months. But it was well worn in before that anyway. I seriously love their decks. Shape is good, pop is great. And they wear well and are super hard to snap (i dont skate like mitch tho haha).
Give em a try CJ, would love to hear you opinion on them

Thanks guys the boards look good and are allot cheaper than going to Ozmosis or some other surf shop as i don’t have a local skate shop any more as it was constanly vandalised. What about the bearings are they any good because all they say is abec 5 not the material or anything.

Also wondering what size i should get deck wise as ive only had one and i don’t even know what size it is. (I have US size 8 shoes if it matters).

That is really annoying that your local store was getting vandalised, people can be jerks. Unfortunately it is getting to the point that it is harder for shops to stay open.
With deck size it is a personal thing. If you are a size 8us I am going to suggest a 8 inche deck. I have found that this is the size for me but try it out and see how you get on.

K2_TeacherBoy - 18 April 2013 11:52 AM

THey are $45 most the time, but the boys always do awesome deals! Im bout to order another one. Mine feels dead after not riding it for 3 months. But it was well worn in before that anyway. I seriously love their decks. Shape is good, pop is great. And they wear well and are super hard to snap (i dont skate like mitch tho haha).
Give em a try CJ, would love to hear you opinion on them

Well 24 do offer a one year warranty on their decks if I remember correctly. Yeah most decks feel dead when they have been skated then left, annoying but wood is porous so bound to happen.
Tell you what if we all skated like Mitch the skate industry would be super rich.
Yes I would be keen on trying one, just need to find out how much it would cost to send them to the UK.

Sorry it’s been ages but i’m unsure about where i can get some cheaper shoes that are still high quility. I see on CCS that they have sales were you can get really good shoes cheap but i don’t want to buy from overseas. Is there anywhere in Australia online that has similar sales or in store around Melbourne.

Another thing is it better getting a couple of pairs of say $50-60 shoes or saving up for a good pair like the Maranas which according to the thread are very good. I have a friend gooing to America in a couple of weeks and they said they will buy me some shoes so im thinking either Marana’s or Mike mo s shoes.

What do you recomend.

Bazza1 - 25 May 2013 04:37 PM

Sorry it’s been ages but i’m unsure about where i can get some cheaper shoes that are still high quility. I see on CCS that they have sales were you can get really good shoes cheap but i don’t want to buy from overseas. Is there anywhere in Australia online that has similar sales or in store around Melbourne.

Another thing is it better getting a couple of pairs of say $50-60 shoes or saving up for a good pair like the Maranas which according to the thread are very good. I have a friend gooing to America in a couple of weeks and they said they will buy me some shoes so im thinking either Marana’s or Mike mo s shoes.

What do you recomend.

Hey. It’s best to support your local skate stores but I understand the lack of affordability. SurfStitch.com and City Beach aren’t too bad if you have a discount code.