The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What should i buy guys????

Hi Guys,

It’s coming up to my season again :D. Last year i had an amazing time taking photos on the snow.

Anyway i want to take heaps of photos in the snow and around japan. I’ve been looking for ages for the best camera and I’m loving the look of the 7D. And it still works after being set on fire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCT-YMgjm9k).  My friends buy all there cameras from overseas from eglobal. I know the site is trustworthy and my insurance will cover it if it breaks so i don’t have to worry about gray market deals.

This is the camera i’m going to buy.
http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/canon-eos-7d-platinum-kit-ef-s-15-85mm-is-lens-digital-slr-cameras.html

My question is should i wait for the mark II or is there a better camera out there for snowtographers?

Thanks in advance.

6D with a full frame sensor?

Is that good enough for the snow if it’s dropped in it? I’m worried about how my wife will treat it lol.

The 7D is excellent value at the moment. I shot with a lowly 60D in Thredbo for the whole of last season and it never skipped a beat. The 7D would be more than capable. If you’re going to be shooting in the snow, my other suggestion would be to invest in a battery grip. The grip will guarantee you can shoot the whole day, and keeps the battery insulated from the cold a lot better.
HardSnow, what kind of photography do you want to do, and what kind of lenses you’re thinking of getting? What’s the budget you have to work with?
A step up to a 6D or even an old 5DII might be worth investigating as well.

A 7D will serve you well.  It has a high ‘fps’ shooting rate which is good for action shots.  The release of the Mark II version has not been confirmed date-wise, I have heard at the end of our winter, so it may be of no use to you.

A couple of things to consider:

1. The 7D is a cropped sensor camera which isn’t as good as a full sensor camera quality-wise, but you won’t notice the difference unless you are a pro, or decide to shoot video on it.  Also with a cropped sensor the image is magnified by a factor of 1.6x, meaning that you can save money on buying telephoto lenses as you won’t need as large of a zoom as a full sensor camera.

2. Although the 7D is quite a rugged camera when it comes to rain, snow etc, keep in mind that you need an equally rugged lens to go with it.  The ‘L’ series of lenses are weatherproof, but they do require all your money (they are expensive).  I have a feeling that attaching a standard kit lens will not create a weatherproof seal between the lens and the camera body, hence why you need an ‘L’ series lens to keep the whole camera protected.  I would check this to be safe.  Alternatively you can saved money by buying a ‘storm jacket’ which is like a raincoat for your camera, or just be extra careful when taking it out in the snow/rain.

Collapsible umbrellas work great.

You can still shoot all day without a grip. A grip just makes your camera heavier.
I don’t know canons very well but if the 60d is the big brother of the 40d then that would be enough, if you’re just taking pictures for yourself

Almost any DSLR over 10MP is enough for a skilled photographer. All other functions make for lazy photographers (or more accurately) - allow for greater margin of error.

You are better off investing in good glass rather than what it attaches to.

I wouldnt say the 60d is “lowly”

My best mate went from a 7d to a 60d and prefers the 60d by far.

My dslr is 8 years old and takes photo’s that rival many new photographers work - it’s only 6MP

Mr.h0z has the 7d and loves it.. It is cropped but you just buy lenses to compensate for that anyways..
I have the 5dII ( got it cheaper when the III came out).. But like spaz said.. Get a decent body that does what you want and invest more in the lenses..

The 7D is also one of the most rugged bodies you can get, weather sealing is super important if your shooting in the snow, I have definitely put my 7 through some wet and dusty conditions and it has not let me down. The 7d mkII is still probably a few months away, if you don’t need it until Dec this year, you may aswell wait for the mkII to release. You’re either going to have a better available camera, or alternatively, the price of the 7D should be knocked right down

Thanks everyone for the amazing info. I haven’t ordered it just yet as my friend couldn’t get it from china. I was originally going to by Platinum kit but now i’m not sure because you guys are saying get a good quality lenses.

My dream is to be a extreme sports photographer so i want a quick lenses.

Thanks again for all the awesome advise and sorry for my delayed response lol.

I recently got my 5d mkiii from http://www.topbuy.com.au, and also purchased a L lens from them. Both items were the cheapest I could find from aussie (saved about $700 on the 5dmkiii), and comparable to singapore prices which is where I used to get gear from when the old man would travel there. It’s greystock, comes from HK I think, so your pretty much just paying shipping on top of their price. If you get lucky sometimes the price will be underwritten on the shipping invoice and you can avoid import duty (10% on goods valued >$900)

im thinking of buying another camera when the funds allow it, wont be for awhile tho haha

hey cam what do you recommend i should get, a 60D or pay that little extra and get a 7D?? ill need it before dec for this snow season and ill mostly be using it for video purpose.

currently got a 600D and would like an upgrade haha

As in before dec for nth hemi season? If you’ve got that long I would wait for the 7D mkII release or 60D upgrade (whatever it’s going to be). Something should release before then, and you might get some nifty features such as the moire reduction that comes with the 5dmkiii - pretty key for filming if you end up with weird jacket patterns. The 7D is pretty old now, but that may mean you can get one nice and cheap by then. As for the now purchase between the 60D and 7D, I haven’t really looked at the 60D, I would weigh up the non-video benefits (since the video is presumably exactly the same) and decide if you might make use of a higher fps for stills, larger sensor, better weather sealing, or if you think you will be just fine with what the 60D offers then save your bank and buy a better lens or mic or filters etc